JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Three books you may want to have

Post by JimD »

When I started I was told to get Two books
1.Ray's old book on wading and kayaking galveston bay and

2"The Roads of Texas"
which is an atlas of most of the roads and back roads in Texas.

There is nothing like trying to find some new launch place in the dark and not knowing what dirt road you are on. This is good for freshwater too.

Here is a third that is free if it is still in print.
3. "Texas Beach & Bay Access Guide" is free from the state and is a map that shows Beach and bay access for the whole Texas Coast. Check the General land office at www.glo.state.tx.us mine is several years old.

I will share another little gem.
Hidden on the Glo site are some of the best infrared aerial pictures of the coast that you can find. With the right mapper program you can find some really good areas with good gps coordinates too. Downside Not all the middle of the bays are covered in the the pictures but most of the coast line is.
The 2002 and 05 pictures are probably the best for here to Corpus and I have yet to load the 05 pictures up because the 02 are great except they donot have a good overall of SLP. One of the newer sets has a full SLP though it changes all the time. Good luck -NO do not ask for help. :cry:
Last edited by JimD on Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cohiba73

Post by cohiba73 »

Jim, great reference, this will take you right to it:

http://www.glo.state.tx.us/coastal/access/guide.html
TexasGringo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Three books you may want to have

Post by TexasGringo »

JimD wrote:When I started I was told to get Two books
1.Ray's old book on wading and kayaking galveston bay and

Not sure what you mean by 'old' but make sure you get the latest edition which is the 3rd.

http://www.texascoastalfishingbooks.com/
SaltDog03

what a site

Post by SaltDog03 »

great site. very very helpful and easy to understand.
Castaway Kay

Post by Castaway Kay »

I have another suggestion if I may...

It's called Fishing Texas: An Angler's Guide
By Russell Tinsley

I take it with me whenever I am going to fish. It stays in my tackle bag.
Not only does it have fresh, brack, and salt species (pics as well as info on species and how to identify)
but it also has loads of tidbit information and tips on how to increase catch ratio, targeting certain species, working and rigging baits, ect. ect.

Explains spawning habits, preferred habitats, foods, explains where to find them at what time of year.

This book has helped me a great deal over the years. Whenever I catch a critter and I'm scratching my head asking "what is this?" I simply look in the book and identify it and whether it is good to eat or not. (especially fresh water fish since I don't go fresh water often)

Makes a great Christmas gift too. I gave one to my dad a few years ago and he loves it.

Kay
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Hey Kay

Post by JimD »

Glad to see you over here.

See you and the kid's reports and pictures on Edgar's IFT board. Glad you are here too.
Did you get a kayak? Be neat to have down where you live with all the places to fish 15 minutes from your house.

Jim
Castaway Kay

Post by Castaway Kay »

Yes sir, actually have 3 yaks here, but one is in need of repair, (has a split on the bottom) and one is my daughter's. The other one is the one my hubby bought for me to replace the one that needs repair.
Unfortunately I haven't had much of a chance to go yakking raising a 3 year old (my grandson) and I never yak alone. Personal safety preferance. I just feel better using the buddy system.

So for now I am shore bound and teaching my grandson.
As soon as this job is over with (Tuesday will be my last day, I am working a seasonal job for FEAR HOUSTON) I will be back to fishing, and hopefully catching! :D

Kay