Bug Spray / Sun Screen - Post your favorite!

cyberyakker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cyberyakker »

see... I don't go at night...
fishinaggie88

Post by fishinaggie88 »

Bullfrog works great, lasts all day, non greasy

any high % deet replleant
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

OOOOh Cyberyaker .......... see how you are :roll:

Post by Guest »

I have yet to try it so I can't report on its effectiveness, but I have a bottle of Safe Sea sunblock with jellyfish sting protective lotion. It is SPF 30+.
bow_wave

Post by bow_wave »

Anonymous wrote:I have yet to try it so I can't report on its effectiveness, but I have a bottle of Safe Sea sunblock with jellyfish sting protective lotion. It is SPF 30+.

I forgot to log in.
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

fredtoo wrote:WRONG ! (It's whatever I can bum off my buddies)

fredtoo

Oh, I thought it was you that brought the Miller.
oilburner

Post by oilburner »

Coppertone Sport; but wish it had a higher SPF rating.

If the bugs are bad, use 100% DEET.
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

A lot of good products being discussed here; I plan to try a few of them that were mentioned. I hate anything that leaves an oily residue because it makes me feel even hotter in the summer, so have been useing Extreme Elements that from Burfish.com; another good one they have that has an alcohol base is Smartshield. Both of the above are 30 SPF.

Ray
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

Clay...you referring to "The champagne of bottled beers" ?

fredtoo
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Those who don't use sunscreen will pay for it later, health-wise, in Life. Skin cancer is bad news and I've got a few friends who've had it. Being macho with the sun is a fool's game.
Rojo_Kayako

Re: Bug Spray / Sun Screen - Post your favorite!

Post by Rojo_Kayako »

Kingwood Kayaker wrote:...So I thought an appropriate thread for this early part of yakking season might be in order. You never know, we all might discover something new or learn a few tricks to make all of our yakking experiences much more plesant.

Agreed. With that in mind, I recently started a thread that I had promised the folks on the ABWF Board that I'd do concerning Insect Repellants and thier effectiveness. Check it out. I even included URLs to my references and sources.

Baically, what I found was this - the two best "Bangs for the Buck" you can get as far as insect reppelants go are: Sportsman's Off (29% Deet) and 3m Ultrathon Lotion (33% Deet). Yeah, ther are reppelants with higher concentrations of Deet, but they are radically more expensive, and the effectiveness of Deet seems to plateau after concentrations rise above 50%.

Just my 2 cents.

RK

PS - as far as sunblock goes - Bullfrog. It's relatively water resistant which is a good thing if you're wadeing or in a 'Yak. As far as it feeling "icky" on your skin - so what? It beats getting sunburned - which is truely "icky".
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

What you say is true Night Wing - I've had a big slab of bacon cut out of my shoulder due to my younger days. Cover up guys, it's not worth it.

Ray
Rojo_Kayako

Post by Rojo_Kayako »

Flyfisher wrote:What you say is true Night Wing - I've had a big slab of bacon cut out of my shoulder due to my younger days. Cover up guys, it's not worth it.

Ray

Now you're getting me scared. Was that illness due to "intermittent" or "chronic" exposure?

Thanks.

RK
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Skin Cancer, called Melonoma. It's bad news...and it can kill if it spreads to other parts of the body and mastisizes in a human organ.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

most of the time I have a can of DeepWoods Off laying around- somewhere- I also have a couple of little bottles of UncleBen's 100%DEET- UncleBen's made the 100%DEET that we used in the little green bottles in Vietnam. One thing about 100%DEET it will EAT plastic! I ruined 2 watch crystals in Nam. I always put bug juice on a napkin or rag and then wipe it on- never use a spray around your face- you should never inhale bug juice- that's where some of the DEET exposure to your liver comes from.

favorite sun screen has to be BullFrog- at least 15SPF
gonefishn

Post by gonefishn »

Bull Frog GEL works the best for us

It is a Quick Dry Gel

Deep Woods Off works well

Looks like rain maybe this weekend???
oleyakker

sunscreen etc

Post by oleyakker »

Learned the hard way about years of no sunscreen protection... having skin cancer carved off your nose is no fun.... the dermatologist recommends coppertone spectra spf 50. bloody expensive but good stuff. not greasy...

Be careful with the bullfrog if you use live bait...get that stuff on your hands and bait and promise you wont catch many fish.

Lots of Deet on the bug stuff, wear light colored clothing,