AXIS DEER - HOW WOULD YOU PREPARE IT

m.burgess

AXIS DEER - HOW WOULD YOU PREPARE IT

Post by m.burgess »

I have a freezer with two nice axis in it just waiting for a few different tries at something. (backstraps, tenderloins, hams). First time around with Axis, but I hear it's great. I've looked at a few other threads and will give it a try, but was wondering if there is something special about Axis over other deer you need to pay attention to.

Thanks for the input.
MJ

Post by MJ »

m.burgess--

A friend of mine shot two axis two years back it was great! He took the backstrap and cut it into 1" steaks and seasoned/marinated them just like a beef steak (ribeye, fillet, etc.) - (your favorite seasoning). Grill them on the pit just like a beef steak to your desired level of rawness. Medium seemed perfect to me - although I like my beef steaks med-rare. The meat is great stewed, roasted, fried, and grillled (in my opinion). Pretty much can't go wrong however you prepare it - just don't cook it till it's dried out.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Ditto on what MJ said. Axis is my absolute favorite wild game. It's all about the Axis. :wink:
jhjspecks
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhjspecks »

those hams in the crockpot all day long with finger potatoes, tomatoes, and mushrooms. man you won't know what to do with yourself. soak the meat overnight in buttermilk and tabasco. then just let it cook from sun up to sun down. i forgot the red onion and garlic. i use alot of garlic for my taste.
Bluemule

Post by Bluemule »

We just cut up two large hams and added them to chili with our other meat. 1 inch cubes. Turned to butter when the simmering was done. This is my favorite wild game as well.
Spooled

Post by Spooled »

Axis is excellent. I shot one 2 years ago and had some chops made by cutting across the backstrap and included part of the rib that attached to the spine. I marinated them similar to a beef steak, worchester, soy, garlic, etc. and grilled them to medium. They were fantastic. You can do the same with the backstrap cut into no thicker than 1" pieces.
diverdoll

Post by diverdoll »

I dont know the difference of axis to "deer" but i got a recipe from a friend of my dads that is very good: cut steaks into strips dip in beat eggs and batter with lipton dip packet (i prefer the onion flavor) mixed with equal parts flour and pan fry. Very yummy!!