Cobra Mariner Review by Parrothead and Parrothead Jr.

Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Cobra Mariner Review by Parrothead and Parrothead Jr.

Post by Parrothead »

Got on the Mariner prototype for the first time today on Lake Woodlands. All I can tell you is that for all you people out there looking for speed, stability, fishability, storage and a dry ride, this is it!

Stability
As a Fish-n-Dive owner, I have a strong basis of comparison. At 31" this boat is very stable! In fact when you sit side saddle the boat sits level in the water. You won't see that in a lot of 14 footers. I also found that I could move around in the boat with the same amount of confidence as I do in my FnD.

Ride and Speed
Although I didn't clock it, the boat started very quick. It was effortless paddling, to say the least. When I dug real hard this thing took off like a rocket! This boat is a rocket ship to say the least. Nice long glide too.

This boat is distinctly Cobra. The big rocker and reverse chine, in conjuntion with the large and numerous scuppers, including two in the seat, provided for a very dry experience. I'm sure this boat will do very well paddling into those pesky 20mph headwinds that seem to always show up when you have to paddle across the bay a couple miles at the end of a long day. And I can't wait to see how she handles the 3-5 second sets at High Island.

This boat should have been named the "Rig Runner."

Fishability
This Mariner has a big A hatch up front, a large rectangular hatch and an O hatch. The Cobra hatches are as water tight as any I've ever seen. You can load this boat with equipment. Since this is an XF version there are rod holders everywhere. Great boat for live baiting or drifting.

If you're looking for a stealth machine, this is it. I couldn't tell of any hull slap whatsoever when I paddled into the 10mph headwind.

I really like the cockpit placement in this boat. You're not sitting so far away from the bow that you can't get a rod tip around the front when you really have to.

The Mariner is in full production right now and will soon be invading Texas! This boat raises the bar.
Attachments
mariner 7.jpg
mariner 6.jpg
mariner 3.jpg
Last edited by Parrothead on Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

Parrothead Jr. really likes this boat too.
Attachments
mariner 5.jpg
mariner 4.jpg
Matt2
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matt2 »

Looks like I will have another moble to consider now in my quest for a second yak. I have a T160 now, and now want a stable fishing yak. Looks like its gonna be a nice yak.

Matt
fishlover
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Etoile Tx. (Lake Sam Rayburn) Piney Woods of East Texas

Post by fishlover »

I want that boat so bad I dont want the flushmount rod holders behind the seat is that optional, any way sweet boat I cant wait to paddle of those. :lol: :lol:
Newt
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Newt »

It must be trick photography :) That's the longest looking 14 footer I've ever seen.
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

I'm sure my wife will appreciate that. It's actually 14'3" It is a little deceiving however. I think this is because, unlike most boats in her class, the cockpit is positioned closer to the bow. This gives the appearance of a very long tankwell, which it is.
Newt
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Newt »

I wish the cockpit area on my Tarpon was further to the front. I believe it would improve the loaded trim. I know I load the back too heavy. BUT, that's where I want that stuff.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Nice review with some nice pictures and it didn't surprise me to see the color of the prototype Mariner is "lime green". :wink:
daddykirbs
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by daddykirbs »

I've been looking forward to your review Parrothead.

You know I loved my FnD, and since you were a FnD owner too, I was curious how you would compare the Mariner to it.

Thanks for posting. I'm anxiously awaiting for an email or post from David saying "they're here".
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

The biggest similarity in the Mariner to the FnD is that you can move around in with the same confidence. They also both drain really nice and keep you dry. Other than that, they are completely different boats.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

I'm anxiously awaiting for an email or post from David saying "they're here".

Hopefully he won't be in front of the TV when he says that (for you movie trivia buffs).
Pablo
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston, Tx Sharpstown . . . . OK Drifter - WS Ride 135 & WS T160i

Cobra Mariner

Post by Pablo »

Salivating severely. That said, did you try standing up and checking it out as a possible poling/fishing platform?
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

How much does it weight?

Can it be fitted with a rudder?

Thanks,
Mrs. B
Rikshaw

Post by Rikshaw »

YES, there will be a rudder option for it.

NO, you do not need to have flush mount rod holders anywhere you do not want them.

Weight of a bare Kayak, meaning no hatches or rod holders, but with all eyelettes, drain plug and handles is 53 lbs.

Don't worry about loading the tank well on this yak up with too much gear. I have loaded 5 gallon buckets of water into the tank well of mine to see how it responds and it settles a bit, but due to the forward positioning of the cockpit and the way we brought the tank well forward, combined with a nice amount of rocker, the Mariner-XF settles much more evenly into the water.

Ric
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

I need to fish on the Cobra Kayak Team, so I can get a white Mariner XF for free! :wink:
Rikshaw

Post by Rikshaw »

Oh yeah?

I've heard about you Mrs. B. As if you need any more kayaks for your collection. LOL

Ric
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Hey! I just SOLD one of them yesterday. Now we're down to just 5. :wink:

Mrs. B
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Mrs Backlasher wrote:Hey! I just SOLD one of them yesterday. Now we're down to just 5. :wink:

Mrs. B

"WE"? I am guessing that is Mr. B, 1, Mrs. B 4?
:lol:

Jerry
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Jerry-rigged wrote:
Mrs Backlasher wrote:Hey! I just SOLD one of them yesterday. Now we're down to just 5. :wink:

Mrs. B

"WE"? I am guessing that is Mr. B, 1, Mrs. B 4?
:lol:

Jerry

Well, that's what Backlasher says! LOL

I say he has 1, I have 1, and the 2 older grandsons each have 1. The extra I bought for kayaking in the surf. That was before I knew that the kayaks we already have will do fine in the surf.

Hey, I guess I'll put that one up on the Classified forum! Good idea. Thanks for making me think of that.

Mrs. B
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

Mrs. B!

Great avatar!

Norm
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Thanks, Norm!

CaptJack made it for me! He's soooooo good about that!

I think that was my favorite photo of the day for BTB. It shows the big redfish and it shows my joy for the "sleigh ride."

And you made it all happen!
Troutless
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Troutless »

Mrs B
Your looking like your having the time of your life out there. Sorry I missed the BTB. You bet I'll be at the next one. It's good to see so much joy on everyone faces.

Monty
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Oh, Monty! It was a delight!

And it was happening to different folks all during the day.

It is the fishing experience of a lifetime! You MUST be at the next one.

Mrs. B
BillS

Post by BillS »

How is noise from wave slap with that reverse chine in the back?

BillS
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

BillS wrote:How is noise from wave slap with that reverse chine in the back?

BillS

There is none. Please keep in mind, I've only had it on a fairly calm day on a lake. I'll be interested to know how it does on a windy day.