New Inflatable Kayak

Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

New Inflatable Kayak

Post by Music Man »

Lighting Kayaks just launched a new inflatable SUP with a peddle drive, and they are running a big special just like with the launch of the Nomad. This would solve my transport issue, but not sure if it would work that well for where I normally fish.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ligh ... rd--2#/faq

Interested in opinions on these type of boats.

Nathan
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: New Inflatable Kayak

Post by Kayak Kid »

I think that such a craft as has been illustrated would work perfectly in most freshwater lakes in and around Texas.
However, looking at the bottom of a plastic kayak used, even occasionally, in Gulf coast shallow water, would, in my opinion, discourage me from using an inflatable for that purpose.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Hey Nathan. I have a couple of inflatable SUP boards . They are inexpensive Amazon boards that don’t have any pedal drive systems. However I have rigged them up for fishing including installing rod holder mounts or bases, anchor trolleys and framed seats. When the opportunity is there I will launch these in a back lake and they are really stealthy for redfish. The one downside to them (and it’s a big one) is the wind. For me they are completely unusable in winds much over about 12 mph. The air in the board acts like a balloon. I can see where the pedal drive could offset some of the wind issues but they are not easy to keep in position. If you like to anchor or stake out and sit in one place and fish I think it would work well. Or if you don’t mind not fishing on those days that are too windy.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

SWFinatic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:39 pm The one downside to them (and it’s a big one) is the wind. For me they are completely unusable in winds much over about 12 mph. The air in the board acts like a balloon. I can see where the pedal drive could offset some of the wind issues but they are not easy to keep in position.
Totally agree on the wind being an issue. All inflatables Ive seen spin like crazy in a breeze