Bulls on Parade

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Bulls on Parade

Post by Prof. Salt »

In the flats I target exposed redfish, and usually pass up the deeper ones just because the shallow visible ones make me happy. I don't mind leaving schools alone in deeper water for other people to play with - but those exposed ones get my blood pumping because it's an active stalk on a wary fish. One morning last week I was in the Nueces Bay delta before sunrise and tides were really low and moving out. It was perfect for patrolling drains to find hunting fish on the shorelines that I enjoy so much. As the starry sky began to lighten, I spotted a big fish in a minor drain and with a slow approach the kayak eased to within 15 feet of the fish. A gentle pitch of the bait resulted in a blow up and eventual release of a 30" fatty.

As I arrived at the drain I intended to start with, I could see a group of fish on the other side working bait against the shore. Backs and tails indicated more oversized fish, but I wasn't about to complain. Another cast gave me a fish I hoped was legal. The measuring board showed it was just over 29" so it also went back. For the next hour I released two more bulls and broke off two more. Evidently there are a few clumps of oyster shell in that drain, and the fish knew where to find them. Since the mission was to collect dinner, I left the hot bite and searched other drains while the feeding period was still going strong. Two drains over I found what I had been looking for, and I put two upper slot fish in the cooler as I worked up the little canal. This drain passed through a lake as it continues up farther, and the lake was mostly mud with just a small area of water. I know from experience this can be a good thing, and sure enough I spotted several fish feeding in the shallows. As I pushed through the mud towards one target, another back broke the surface within 20 feet of the kayak, and I wasn't going to let that offer go unchallenged. I pitched ahead of the fish and as it approached, I dragged the bait slowly in front of its face. For some reason the fish ignored the lure, but a second red that had been hiding beside it slammed the bait ...so we danced. This one looked legal when I got it into the net, but I put it on the measuring board before adding it to the bag and it reminded me why measuring boards are so important. The fish was about a millimeter short of 28". I measured again - and sure enough, there was just a hair of white ruler showing below the 28" mark. This fish went into the bag to complete the limit and I turned the boat back towards the bay.

On the way out I found a couple of fish that were spooky - I had probably spooked them as I worked into the drain earlier. As I passed a branch where another drain intersected the one I was fishing, I spotted a small school ahead that were working their way towards the bay. Shrimp and baby shad were jumping clear of the surface trying to avoid the mayhem with limited success, and the commotion helped to cover up my approach. By paddling quietly I got within easy range and the bait landed ahead of them. One hungry red inhaled the bait and fish number eight came to the kayak, a healthy 24" red. This one was released and I stowed the rods away.

By the time I got back to the open bay the tide had fallen quite a bit. The long route would mean an extra six miles of paddling but it still beat swimming the kayak through the deep stinky mud to get back through the "short cut" so I paddled off across the bay and up the river to get back to the truck. Winds had picked up and didn't make things easy, but sometimes that's the price of admission for a magical fishing spot. By noon I was back at the launch having paddled 13 miles, and a shower and lunch couldn't come soon enough.

Last edited by Prof. Salt on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Bulls on Parade

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

What a morning!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Keep up the good work, Professor!

I got tired just reading about your 13-mile paddle and meat-haul.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Great trip. Thanks for sharing.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Beast! The fish are nice too :clap:
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Not often do I think a 13 mile kayak trip would be worth it, but you have convinced me otherwise. That shower and lunch were well-deserved.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Glenn, I love the fish photos, but you're going to have to write paragraphs before my old eyes can read it.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Ron Mc wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:38 pm Glenn, I love the fish photos, but you're going to have to write paragraphs before my old eyes can read it.
Sorry Ron, how about now?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Prof. Salt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 am Sorry Ron, how about now?
that's awesome friend - thanks for the extra effort.

Last year, I put this together, 6' S-glass with backbone, just for close skip-casting 1/8 oz bunny shrimp to redfish backs in sloughs.
The centrifugal cast is intuitive for me.
But I've yet to get it on redfish backs - I plan to get there, though.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

But, but,....,Ron, it's not bamboo!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

fwiw, S-glass has the same equivalent modulus as cane, and even though this rod is rated 1/4 to 1 oz, it skip-casts 1/8 oz off the tip like that's all it was made for - a quality of S-glass.

I have the same niche in river kayak filled with an even shorter, 5' rod, it's 1-pc composite w/ S-glass tip and blended IM6 butt section for turning big bass.
If it makes you feel any better, the reel that came off my bench for it is '77 4500C.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I feel better.