Estes Flats - Oct 4, 2023

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Estes Flats - Oct 4, 2023

Post by Ron Mc »

Just got back from the 12th annual Fall Redfish Round-Up, hosted by Josh and Nina. The cast changed over the week.
I'll post my thanks here again - Josh and Nina are over-the-top hosts, and fun company.
The week was about time spent with the brothers you choose, those you want be with when doing what you'd always rather be doing, like this.

Wednesday, Josh, Whit and Andy drove two hours up the coast to fish sloughs at Point Comfort - they brought home redfish.
Josh will follow with his daily reports on our other day trips, and I'll follow him, but I had this one written, and moved it here.
Water levels were huge this year, challenging weather - though oppressive heat and humidity, this was our best weather day.

Lou and I opted to stay close at our favorite Estes Flats, especially since it was the biggest tide swing of the trip.
We were probably too late on the tide swing, but we always dream about finding stacked snook outside Little Cut again at first light.

We moved back onto the flat, Lou moved up to fish the 2nd duck blind south, and I stayed close to fish the shoal between the 1st duck blind and the inside of Little Cut.
For me, every fish that mattered this week was caught on Z-man Minnow-Z and 1/8-oz Texas Eye jighead - more on that later.
Right off, my favorite color Mood Ring paid off dinks and rats.

Image Image

From the wakes, subtle slashes, and jumping bait, aided by the calm conditions, I estimated there were 200 redfish on my shoal.
I went through colors on the climbing sun, Sexy Penny, Mood Ring, Redbone, and couldn't buy a strike. Finally went to The Deal, opaque grey on bottom and blue on top, and caught my next redfish.

Funny story, I saw a big wake too far from my casting arm, and tried to cast anyway. My 4-year-never-backlashed Zillion changed my mind, and snapped my 4-y-o braid in the spool wrap, sending my lure out of sight. Grabbed my Silver Wolf finesse combo and cast out the topwater prop tail shrimp (Supra 65, aka "Mr. Peanut"). The double trebles hauled up my broken line and my Z-man Deal. Looking at the two lures, decided this means something, swapped the Z-man onto the finesse combo, and proceeded to catch 7 more fish on 12 casts - they wanted subtle blend colors with mullet sheen.
I didn't photo the last and largest two reds separately - I was too busy fishing.

Image Image

By 10 am, I had my redfish limit, tried to put Lou on my shoal, but it cooled down. Lou brought home a thick keeper trout from the 2nd duck blind (filleted out male). I think the reds were moving back toward Little Cut, and a guide boat had that end of the shoal staked out.
We called the day early. (Lou and I were sweated-through on Tuesday setting up our travel trailer digs, and again fishing on Wednesday.)

Our stringers, which included the only redfish limit of the trip.
My total for short morning on Estes, 6 trout, no keepers, 6 reds with a slot-fish limit.

Wed night, Josh fried a feast, shrimp, oysters, and redfish, spicy hush puppies, with cucumber salad and coleslaw.

I promised the details on Z-man Minnow-Z colors.
Top to bottom, reflected light on the left, transmitted light on the right.
Sexy Penny,
Mood Ring,
The Deal

Sexy Penny, chartreuse and copper, and The Deal, grey bottom and blue top, are both opaque.
Mood ring reflects blue and transmits pink, my favorite clear water overcast color, also caught my lifetime speckled trout in May.

The Texas Eye jighead adds several things to Minnow Z on the flats, making them weedless in shallow grass, more natural action, and also making the lure feel more like natural bait in the fish's mouth. I smear Procure on the jighead and steel, masking the taste of both the metal and us.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Estes Flats - Oct 4, 2023

Post by Kayak Kid »

I enjoyed that trip. Thanks for sharing.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks Buzz.

When we got away from the guide boats on other flats over the week, the reds were less picky, and would take the bright colors.
More after Josh posts his daily reports...

Here's the geography of the shoal inside Little Cut, from an extreme low-tide winter day.
Last week, the water level was 30" higher than this.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Thank you for all the details. I’m a glad y’all got some nice fish.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks friend, it was a great week, and I'm holding off posting the rest until Josh OPs his daily reports.
I think everybody is sick at his house.

Grill-blackened half-shell fillets.

deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Do you fish them like pictured, with the hook point sticking out above the lure itself? I always leave the hook point barely sticking up between the two split dorsal fins on the Zman MinnowZ.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I fish Z-man weedless - pretty sure I don't make the effort when I'm setting up to photograph transmitted light.

Different spring trip, Purple Haze in thick overcast caught me an over-slot red, drifting parallel to Talley shore (NNE).

on this drift, looking toward Lou and Traylor across Trout Bayou

Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri May 17, 2024 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Heading down this weekend, (Estes Flats) must be a glutton for punishment as Babes on the Bay is going on, I hear the water is high with a very slow 7 mph SSE, pretty weather so it should be fun no matter the crowd. Maybe I can get places boats can't, nice report and pics.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Marc,
this is slightly different wind, SSW

Bracket your drifts from Big Cut to Little Cut, and limited inside by the 2 duck blinds.
Long drifts to Talley Shore can also produce.
viewtopic.php?p=2310836
Save Trout Bayou in your pocket for NE wind.
Make sure you stay away from staked boats - but they'll let you know if their idea of too close is different from your idea of too close.
Rip dey lips and give us a report.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri May 17, 2024 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Winds are looking nice for Estes tomorrow, less than 10 NNE swinging to the East. Good Luck.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

NNE wind, Always Head First to top of Trout Bayou.
NE Wind current funnels bait through Trout Bayou cut.
viewtopic.php?p=2310836

viewtopic.php?p=2335325