TarponTime

RGV

Post by TarponTime »

Lot of fish down here. Stay away. :twisted:
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: RGV

Post by Neumie »

Ironically, I'm heading to SPI tomorrow through Tuesday. So, any tips on where not to catch fish (no kayak)?
TexasJim

Re: RGV

Post by TexasJim »

Josh: I just got back this afternoon from a 3-day RGV fishing trip. I didn't have my yak, but my 14 foot skiff. I launched Tuesday AM at Jaime Zapata launch ramp on Hiway 48, between Brownsville and Port Isabel. The tide was coming in strong under the bridge into San Martin Lake, so I fished the down-current(North) side. I caught a 2-foot Ladyfish. Good fight. The tide slacked, and I wanted to motor down to the Brownsville Ship Channel ship scrapyard. But when I got on the channel side of the bridge, I anchored and caught another 2-foot Ladyfish. I putted towards Brownsville (about five miles) and fished a storied Snook spot, but, once again, didn't find one. I got a couple of small Mangroves, then, a 23-inch Jack Crevalle. Man, what a fight!
But, you said no kayak(or boat), so, every time I have launched at Zapata ramp, there have been waders and bank fishermen on both sides of the bridge. They always tell me they catch snook and reds. when the current is running. Many kayakers launch there and go north under the bridge and fish San Martin Lake. I've seen many videos of guys catching many over slot specks. I don't have a poling tower on my skiff, so it's usually me and the kayakers. There's a fairly deep channel, with oyster flats on each side. I was there in May, and caught a 25-inch Red in the channel.
The ramp(really nice, free, and maintained by Cameron County) has a nice fishing pier with lights. If I were there without a boat, I'd certainly fish the pier.
On Wednesday, I launched my skiff at one of the two free SPI ramps, on Palm St. Again, fishing SPI without a boat or yak limits you to surf fishing, or fishing the jettys at Isla Grande(?) Park($12/day entry). Port Isabel should put up a sign that says "No Fishermen Wanted"! I caught one 15 inch speck and lots of hardheads in the flats north of the Queen Isabella Causeway. If you DO have a yak, there's a free launch just north of the KOA on SPI. At the north end of the island, near the Convention Center, is a place where locals wade fish. Supposed to be good. It's been hard for me to get much information about fishing there. The locals are tight-lipped about their honey hole.
Thursday, I went early to Arroyo City and met up with "TexasFlyCaster" fly fisher and blogger, Shannon Drawe, and we went almost to the ICW, and fished several marshes and creeks. He caught a couple of dink specks.
It's hard to fish down there without a yak or boat, but there's about 60+ square miles of shallow, lightly-fished flats. I usually go down there spring and fall, go to Progreso, MX, and get my teeth cleaned($30 and twenty minutes), buy my meds cheap, and then go fishing. I really like the RGV, and it's inly 150 miles south of Rockport.
Go, enjoy, and catch'em up. TexasJim