karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Daughter’s First Elk

Post by karstopo »

C901EB58-83E3-4844-9069-08EF166C59E6.jpeg
54E2804B-E558-4CE6-B20D-E71B4704DB3C.jpeg
5315D140-3CCB-48ED-8E20-24AF83F024B4.jpeg
My daughter hunted last season during the archery season, but could never get a bull within range. This year, her tag was for a cow elk and she could use a rifle. Even with the advantage of a rifle, the hunting pressure and number of other hunters around here in unit 48 of NM made things tough. On the fourth day of a five day window, she broke through, and I got to be there to witness it all.

We scouted this large open meadow at about 9,500 asl and saw elk at the far end of it moving into cover. I knew there was another smaller meadow in the direction the elk went so I said we should work around in the cover to position ourselves to cover that smaller meadow. We did, the elk, turns out a massive herd of mostly cow elk, broke into the open space. Daughter was positioned at the edge of the cover and put a 130 grain .270 bullet right into the top of the heart and aorta, this at 270 yards. The bullet shattered the right shoulder on the way out, but the heavy bone evidently stopped the bullet from exiting although we couldn’t find it. Anyway, good shot and the elk didn’t go anywhere but down.

Unforgettable experience to share with my girl. We got the elk off the mountain and she and I got it all done and packaged before the sun went down, but from 7:30 am when she shot the cow to about 4:30, we were busy bees.

We reserved a tenderloin for dinner that night. Super tender and flavorful.
SWFinatic

Re: Daughter’s First Elk

Post by SWFinatic »

Big congrats to you both! Good memories.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Congratulations, Karstopo, on having such a beautiful daughter.

When if ever you find yourself so disposed, you should thank whatever gods there be that she looks like her mother.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Kayak Kid wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:50 pm Congratulations, Karstopo, on having such a beautiful daughter.

When if ever you find yourself so disposed, you should thank whatever gods there be that she looks like her mother.
Yes!
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Elk hunters take note. While Karstopo is to be lauded for raising such a beautiful and adept daughter, please glance at the shared picture indicative of his masterful cooking skills.

To those few Texans that might be fortunate and skilful enough to bag an elk, I wish, although uninvited to do so, declare, without reservation, that:

Elk meat, especially from a fat cow, is tastier than prime grade beef (IMO), far healthier than beef (no chemicals in an elk's diet), less fat than beef (more evenly marbled), and, a true gourmet delight for anyone given the opportunity to enjoy it. However, it must be cooked and eaten rare to medium rare in order to best appreciate it's unique flavour (IMHO)
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Congrats and well done. Although I have never bagged an elk, I have been fortunate enough to have eaten elk a time or two during ski trips in Colorado. I can only imagine how much better it tastes after the joy of the hunt.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Kayak Kid wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:59 pm Elk hunters take note. While Karstopo is to be lauded for raising such a beautiful and adept daughter, please glance at the shared picture indicative of his masterful cooking skills.

To those few Texans that might be fortunate and skilful enough to bag an elk, I wish, although uninvited to do so, declare, without reservation, that:

Elk meat, especially from a fat cow, is tastier than prime grade beef (IMO), far healthier than beef (no chemicals in an elk's diet), less fat than beef (more evenly marbled), and, a true gourmet delight for anyone given the opportunity to enjoy it. However, it must be cooked and eaten rare to medium rare in order to best appreciate it's unique flavour (IMHO)
Exactly right and congrats Karstopo and daughter! My son hunted with his grandpa and came home with a cow elk last week and we are beginning to enjoy the fruits of his hunt. Here are a few of the backstrap steaks just waiting for a medium-rare finish - Great stuff!