West Bay night fishing

TxAquatics

West Bay night fishing

Post by TxAquatics »

Howdy TKFers, I've been absent from summer kayak fishing due to work and the dang heat. Got a general question? Has anyone launched at Settegast road for a night time fishing around Lafitte cove? Just wondering how safe it is coming in at the wee hours of the morning. I'm familiar with mostly pirate's cove and have done sea isles 1 time. I got skunked at Freeport recently in the day, gonna switch it to night time. Thanks!
SWFinatic

Re: West Bay night fishing

Post by SWFinatic »

If you've never been in the water at night or during solid fog it's absolutely incredible how drastically everything changes. There's certain areas of Aransas bay I know really well and have been lost in there at night. Also you obviously can't see fish wakes, boils, etc
It's a completely different way of fishing.
If you go man be careful. A GPS either handheld or on your fish finder is a must.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Have not launched at Settegast at night, but did a recent daytime launch. https://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/v ... ?p=2328258

have launched at Sea isle and Pirates many, many times, and it's all good over there.
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

Thanks, oh yeah I do my homework before night fishing. I've done it before. Thanks for the replies.
product19

Post by product19 »

I’ve launched from settegast and fished lafitte’s cove in the dead of night several times. Navigating the channel between eckert bayou and lafitte’s cove can be a challenge but definitely doable. Going from echert to lafitte’s isn’t so bad. It’s the return trip back to the launch that can be a little challenging. It’s hard to see the cuts in the channel when you are low in the water in a kayak looking at the shoreline for the turn in—-everything just looks like a solid black shoreline In the middle of the night until you get right up on it. When you come out of the cut you’ll see a channel marker. Look for it on the return trip thru the cut as a landmark. Also a strong flashlight is helpful to shine on the shoreline to help you get your bearings.

Several times I’ve turned in and started pedaling only to realize I took a wrong turn when the water got real shallow. No big—back out and go around. Also try and stay more or less in the middle of the channel. If you have a pedal kayak the water can get shallow if you get too close to the grass. Sometimes we use out cellphone GPS or phone map app to aid in navigation.

Lafitte’s cove goes back a ways so plenty of fishable lights. One other thing I’ve done is to continue past lafitte’s cove and fish Lake Como. You can do both if you stay out all night until dawn.

Good luck.
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

Thanks, product 19, I'll use these tips if I can make it out before summer is over!!