What's up with kayak manufacturing?

toofaraway

What's up with kayak manufacturing?

Post by toofaraway »

I can't find anyone with a tarpon or trident in stock. I can't communicate with manufacturer. Any one else with the same problem?
Cityfisher

Re: What's up with kayak manufacturing?

Post by Cityfisher »

toofaraway wrote:I can't find anyone with a tarpon or trident in stock. I can't communicate with manufacturer. Any one else with the same problem?
Could it be the 65 or so giant tankers sitting off of California because they can not get anyone to work and empty them? Possibly!
I have ordered some soft plastics for the second time now and the first time a few months ago it took almost 4 weeks to get in because they said they did not have the supplies to finish the colors. This time it has been 2 weeks and I haven't even got a reply on status.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

toofaraway wrote:I can't find anyone with a tarpon or trident in stock. I can't communicate with manufacturer. Any one else with the same problem?
Every kayak manufacturer has been behind in product; regardless if it's manufactured in the US or over seas. The pandemic caused supply chain issues (for literally everything) and with covid shutting businesses down the demand for kayaks (and every other outdoor sport) shot up and no manufacturer has yet to recover.

It also doesn't help your issue in that Wildy discontinued the Tarpon 160 a few years ago and the Tarpon 140 last year (this year?) so there are no new models being produced. The Prowler is also a fairly low produced/low demand kayak since everyone wants wider more stable kayaks.

Have you also looked in to Viking kayak? They still make a paddler's kayak.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Yeah it's a sign of the times. Don't see it getting better anytime soon. As mentioned the shipping issues/shortages are a major issue too and until the labor issue changes the shipping issues won't change.

I think Viking makes a great kayak and would second that recommendation as long as you don't have to buy anything for the kayak. I had to get a rudder kit for mine and Ryan Ford with Viking USA never did respond to any of my calls or emails and there is not a Viking distributor in Texas (actually there is one in Galveston but they never called me back either and the 2 reviews the company has say they steal from their customers). Ended up having to order it from the home office and have it shipped from Australia. Costs $95 in freight and took forever to get here. I won't buy another Viking for that reason at least until there is adequate dealer representation in central/south Texas.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

It's not just kayaks, but all outdoor sport items. Bicycles are backordered for half-a-year.
Fishing tackle has been a nightmare since April '20. Japan sells out restocked items in a day, and only recently have been recovering inventory in popular fishing reels and rods.
toofaraway

Post by toofaraway »

Thanks for the replies, I didn't know wildy had discontinued the tarpon 140. I have owned tarpons since 2006 and have never had a reason to change. I have a skimmer, great boat to paddle but don't care to fish out of it. So what are my choices for a 14 ft. 28 " low profile fishing kayak?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

toofaraway wrote:Thanks for the replies, I didn't know wildy had discontinued the tarpon 140. I have owned tarpons since 2006 and have never had a reason to change. I have a skimmer, great boat to paddle but don't care to fish out of it. So what are my choices for a 14 ft. 28 " low profile fishing kayak?
You can still find 140's & Tridents used but it's not easy. You have to make it part of your daily routine in terms of checking all the sites (here, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace) and when you find one go buy it immediately. Make a post on here letting members know what you're looking for. Also Neumie mentioned Viking. The Reload is closer to 15' and is 30" wide but paddles well.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

toofaraway wrote:Thanks for the replies, I didn't know wildy had discontinued the tarpon 140. I have owned tarpons since 2006 and have never had a reason to change. I have a skimmer, great boat to paddle but don't care to fish out of it. So what are my choices for a 14 ft. 28 " low profile fishing kayak?
Honestly, not much. If you're wanting new your only options for a kayak longer than 13 feet and narrower than 30" would be the Hobie Revolution 13 (they discontinued the 16), OK Prowler 13, OK Trident 15, Swell Scupper 14, Viking Profish Reload, or Wildy Tarpon 140. That's it.

I may have spoke to soon on the Tarpon 140 getting the axe; but they updated the Tarpon 100 and 120, but not the 140. The writing is on the wall, it's on it's way out.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Used, used or used. Keep watching Facebook Marketplace. When I was searching for a Viking Profish 400(it took a year to find one), there were once five Tarpon 140's on FB Mktpl in Houston.
If you want, a skinny, fast kayak you can fish from, a guy in D/FW has a Stealth Fisha 500(16'3", 27" wide, 55 lbs) for $1600! That's half price. He's got back issues and can't use it. PM me.
Keep looking and good luck! TexasJim
toofaraway

Post by toofaraway »

TexasJim wrote:Used, used or used. Keep watching Facebook Marketplace. When I was searching for a Viking Profish 400(it took a year to find one), there were once five Tarpon 140's on FB Mktpl in Houston.
If you want, a skinny, fast kayak you can fish from, a guy in D/FW has a Stealth Fisha 500(16'3", 27" wide, 55 lbs) for $1600! That's half price. He's got back issues and can't use it. PM me.
Keep looking and good luck! TexasJim
The stealth is a very nice boat. I do like tankwells close to the seatback for crate and accessories. I'm 66 and don't swivel well so i need everything close. I could reconfigure something with the rod holders to hold more rods and use front hatch for oteher equip, but I'm 66 and don't change very well. I would like to PM you for more info on boat in dallas but I'm 66 and don't remember how. Any help on PMing
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

toofaraway: Sent you a PM(maybe two). It takes awhile for it to show up at the top of your page. If you don't get it, post back here. TexasJim
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Neumie wrote:
Honestly, not much. If you're wanting new your only options for a kayak longer than 13 feet and narrower than 30" would be the Hobie Revolution 13 (they discontinued the 16), OK Prowler 13, OK Trident 15, Swell Scupper 14, Viking Profish Reload, or Wildy Tarpon 140. That's it.

I may have spoke to soon on the Tarpon 140 getting the axe; but they updated the Tarpon 100 and 120, but not the 140. The writing is on the wall, it's on it's way out.
Eddyline Caribbean is a good option that is under 30. They look awesome and they reply to your emails… I didn’t have the same luck with Viking.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Gru1313 wrote:Eddyline Caribbean is a good option that is under 30. They look awesome and they reply to your emails… I didn’t have the same luck with Viking.
Yup, forgot about Eddyline because you can't put a rudder on their kayak. They came out with a frame seat version of their 14', which is great: https://eddyline.com/products/caribbean-14fs
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Eddyline does make a beautiful boat. I tried a while back and couldn’t get one. Eddyline was great but they wouldn’t sell direct and the dealer in Houston wanted payment up front sight unseen, and a 6 month wait.
I think the title of this thread should be “What’s up with kayak retailers?” I’ve been looking at Crescent Kayaks, either their Crew or the CK1 Venture, and the dealers here can’t seem to get them but dealers all around the country advertise then as being in stock. Truth is, you don’t order them your not going to get them!!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

JW FunGuy wrote:Eddyline does make a beautiful boat. I tried a while back and couldn’t get one. Eddyline was great but they wouldn’t sell direct and the dealer in Houston wanted payment up front sight unseen, and a 6 month wait.
I think the title of this thread should be “What’s up with kayak retailers?” I’ve been looking at Crescent Kayaks, either their Crew or the CK1 Venture, and the dealers here can’t seem to get them but dealers all around the country advertise then as being in stock. Truth is, you don’t order them your not going to get them!!
Angler's Pro Tackle in North Richland Hills got an order yesterday; according to their Facebook page.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Neumie wrote: Angler's Pro Tackle in North Richland Hills got an order yesterday; according to their Facebook page.
That was quick, thanks! That’s probably where I’ll have to go. I just wish they weren’t 3 hours away. Like they said, “these won’t last long!”
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

take some photos for us
EastTNFishn

Post by EastTNFishn »

I have called around looking for the Bluesky Boatworks 360 pro Houston area and no luck. Called a few out of state dealers and they're saying sometime in 2022.... I plan to go look at a few places once I get a few days off, here in a couple weeks. I wouldn't mind getting the bluesky boatworks 360 angler at this point
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

You might PM tombo and see if he still has his Bluesky. He's lowered the price once or twice. He has a Hobie drive in it, I think. And an aluminum trailer. TexasJim
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

TexasJim I was just about to type the same thing.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... y#p2320349
EastTNFishn

Post by EastTNFishn »

Thank you