Thank You Hurricane Nicholas

OldTownYakBoi

Thank You Hurricane Nicholas

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

I woke up a little late this morning because I forgot to set my alarm, but was on the water by 8:30. The temperature was 74 degrees and it was a grey cloudy morning. Wind was light, 5-10 mph out of the NW. Water visibility was excellent in the marsh, 1ft+.

Right at the launch there was action, mullet fleeing in every direction. I stuck 2 trout and a red on a she dog top water within the first 10 casts, I couldn’t help but chuckle at my luck.

I moved on after the initial excitement died down and that area got quiet. I’ve fished this area extensively and decided to take a little different route to an area deeper in the marsh I know has produced for me this time of year in the past, particularly when the water is cool like today. I rounded the corner of the marsh to a more open part of the bayou with a deep drop off and once again was greeted with fleeing mullet. Sticking with the She Dog I picked up another quick speck, a little tourist trout. On the very next cast I was twitching the top water quickly and gave it a sudden pause when I hooked up with my best fish of the day… A beautiful, chunky, 18in trout. He was fired up and gave me some obligatory head shakes. I had planned to keep some fish, but this guy I just had to release… I deemed him king “speck”of the marsh, he swam away strong.Image

I continued fishing that section picking up a few more small trout before I made my way to a back lake. Just prior to entering the back lake I picked up another nice keeper trout. I made my way around the back lake but it wasn’t as active as the main marsh. I saw some very big blowups sporadically, but the reds were not in the grass like on previous trips. The blowups I was seeing were further off the shoreline. On my way out of the back lake I hooked up on a slot redfish, but lost him after I didn’t get a great hook set.

Making way back to where the specks were snacking earlier and proceeded to catch another 15 or so tourist trout, all on top water. Talk about a dream. It was 11 am and the sun had not been out all morning. I paddled around the other end of the marsh for about an hour looking for my slot redfish, but never saw too many promising signs. Just the occasional random blow up. I also “hooked” a flounder, which right at the boat arrogantly spit my Vudu Shad at me.Image

All in all it was a fantastic morning, extremely quiet and relaxing. A blissful morning to fish, cool temps, north winds, and calm water. Coffee just tastes a little better when your smacking trout on top water between sips.

Man are we blessed with Mother Nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by OldTownYakBoi on Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Thank You Hurricane Nicholas

Post by Dandydon »

Yak Boi, the real estate action in Galveston must have slowed down. You're on a fishin' mission. We salute you. One TKF fishing report a week isn't enough, especially now that it's getting good out there.

It's exciting to read about your top-water success on that She-Dog. I've got plenty of those along with my favorite, the Rapala SkitterWalk in chartreuse back/silver bottom.

Looks like you caught the trout on tops while the sun stayed behind clouds. Rarely have I caught topwater fish in full sun. Kudos for sticking with it.

We await your next report...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Yak Boi, the real estate action in Galveston must have slowed down. You're on a fishin' mission. We salute you. One TKF fishing report a week isn't enough, especially now that it's getting good out there.

It's exciting to read about your top-water success on that She-Dog. I've got plenty of those along with my favorite, the Rapala SkitterWalk in chartreuse back/silver bottom.

Looks like you caught the trout on tops while the sun stayed behind clouds. Rarely have I caught topwater fish in full sun. Kudos for sticking with it.

We await your next report... Image

Haha don’t let my fishing report fool you, I had to take a few calls while out there Image… Still beats working for the man! With those low temps and north winds I just couldn’t stay away, got me feeling frisky and ready to fish!

I think all TKF members would agree the more fishing reports the better. I always love reading about others trips, tactics, and what’s happening on the water. I’ve really been trying to commit to the top water and get more confidence with it, trips like these go a long way in doing so. The she dog is very easy to work, just like the skitterwalk… But I’m starting to wonder if it’s the profile or the pitch of the rattle that is drawing the strikes.

I can definitely say catching on top water is thrilling, even when you don’t hook up, the blow ups are exciting.

Cheers to cooler temps

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great morning - can't ask for better weather to be out - thanks for the report.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

YakBoi: I remembered your pic of your battered She-Dog, when I fished yesterday, and that was my first lure to chunk. I was fishing a cut with a fast-moving current, and the fish didn't want any topwaters. I also tried a Skitter-Vee with no takers. Then I tried a Down South on a Z-Man Wobbly Jig Head on the bottom. I didn't get a bite until I switched to live shrimp under a rattling cork. I was surprised I couldn't get any hits on a topwater, at 7:30 AM, and big reds were rolling at the surface hitting something. I understand that with the current, they were feeding on bait, but what were they hitting at the surface?

I did get my PB red, 29", so no complaints. I need to hit the backwaters like you were in. Great report(s). The weather's getting too good to stay home!

TexasJim
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

TexasJim wrote:YakBoi: I remembered your pic of your battered She-Dog, when I fished yesterday, and that was my first lure to chunk. I was fishing a cut with a fast-moving current, and the fish didn't want any topwaters. I also tried a Skitter-Vee with no takers. Then I tried a Down South on a Z-Man Wobbly Jig Head on the bottom. I didn't get a bite until I switched to live shrimp under a rattling cork. I was surprised I couldn't get any hits on a topwater, at 7:30 AM, and big reds were rolling at the surface hitting something. I understand that with the current, they were feeding on bait, but what were they hitting at the surface?

I did get my PB red, 29", so no complaints. I need to hit the backwaters like you were in. Great report(s). The weather's getting too good to stay home!

TexasJim
The top water bite for me the last few trips has been all or nothing it seems. I feel that when the reds are eating shrimp it’s hard to get them to eat a top water… But when the majority of the bait present are baitfish I’m having much better luck. The back waters were on fire, o think that storm surge and the cooler temps really brought it to life. It’s not everyday you find that many trout in the marsh.

That’s a great catch, congratulations. I bet he gave you a good fight.

impulse

Post by impulse »

Just a heads up on surf conditions at the Sea Isle beach, Gulf side. Green water to the beach and surf is about 6". (That was Friday, around 2:00 PM- no promises if the wind picks up)

I'm headed out to wade fish this evening... Maybe even take the kayak out in the morning. I rarely kayak fish the surf before dark, no matter how nice it looks. Watched Jaws too many times...

Lots of fish in the green lights on the canals, mostly trout and mostly deeper in the water column, so not in-your-face like fishing the green lights in the spring. Still, great fishing. The fresh water influx didn't seem to bother them since the storm. They may have been here all along, but with no power- no green lights... Last night was the first night with lights.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

impulse wrote:Just a heads up on surf conditions at the Sea Isle beach, Gulf side. Green water to the beach and surf is about 6". (That was Friday, around 2:00 PM- no promises if the wind picks up)

I'm headed out to wade fish this evening... Maybe even take the kayak out in the morning. I rarely kayak fish the surf before dark, no matter how nice it looks. Watched Jaws too many times...

Lots of fish in the green lights on the canals, mostly trout and mostly deeper in the water column, so not in-your-face like fishing the green lights in the spring. Still, great fishing. The fresh water influx didn't seem to bother them since the storm. They may have been here all along, but with no power- no green lights... Last night was the first night with lights.
Thanks for the update impulse! Went out a few evenings ago in the surf, 2 days after the hurricane and caught 2 or 3 trout on top in about an hour. Like you said water looks great and wind forecast showing it should stay that way through the weekend.

When you kayak in the surf how far out do you like to go? Or are you more or less moving west-east/east-west? I’ve only been out 2 times but it was in winter

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I second Yak Boi's thanks to Impulse for the timely surf and green light reports. Whenever the surf gets "green to the beach," it's time to hit it hard.

Looking forward to the splendid fishing we get in October and November. Bring on that 70° green water!

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

I hit the lights at sea aisle last night. It was dead still calm, not a breath of wind or current. The bay looked like a pond. The eastern canals were littered with debris and pretty much unfishable. I did catch a handful of funk specks on the way out of the east canals and a rat red on impulses light. Heading west I hit all the bay lights and had better luck. Was hooking up on almost every cast with specks, most were small but I caught dozens upon dozens of them. The west canals seemed to be holding bigger trout but couldn’t get them to eat.

On my way back to the launch in the bay lights I picked up 3 decent keeper specks and one 17in.

Was fishing a dsl glow/chartreuse on a 1/16 ounce jig head. All in all fun trip, quiet, other than the drunks partying. I should’ve hit the surf but caught some Zzzz instead

impulse

Post by impulse »

When I went to bed last night, the Sea Isle canal water looked great- very clear. This morning, it looks like weak coffee- typical when the water gets fresher after a rain. Still had lots of fish in the overnight video, and a couple of the big gar showed up, along with some ribbonfish. Quite a few trout, but mostly ducking in and out- not dwelling in the lights. I didn't fish the lights because of the mosquitoes in the stagnant air, and on account of I'm a wimp.

In the afternoon yesterday, the wind shifted and started blowing all the flotsam that had stacked up in the tips of the canals. It was all over the West Bay. I was gobsmacked by the boats leaving the marina at full speed at dusk, directly into a flotilla of broken lumber. I suspect there were some lower units damaged in the dark.

I waded the surf last night around 18:00, and the water was still beautiful green all the way to the beach. I could still see my feet in belly deep water. The wind was bringing in sets of waves, with 5 minutes of virtually no waves, then 5 minutes of 3 footers. Lots of dolphin activity a few hundred yards outside of casting distance, and lots of mullets very close to me. But I didn't get any bites in about an hour throwing a bone colored zara spook.

Because of the waves, I decide not to try kayaking the surf this morning. I'll get surf fishing reports from some of my more dedicated friends this evening when we get together in Jamaica Beach like we do on Saturday evenings. I'll probably regret sleeping in... Usually, those are the days my buddies tear them up.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I've had surf wade trips when the saltwater was TOO CLEAR to catch fish. Maybe that's why you struck out in the surf, Impulse.

Gamefish tend to get spooked when water visibility goes over 4 feet. I prefer visibility from 1-3 feet, just enough for them to glimpse my darting lures.

Thanks again for your reports.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:I've had surf wade trips when the saltwater was TOO CLEAR to catch fish. Maybe that's why you struck out in the surf, Impulse.

Gamefish tend to get spooked when water visibility goes over 4 feet. I prefer visibility from 1-3 feet, just enough for them to glimpse my darting lures.

Thanks again for your reports.

I’ll second dons opinion. I personally Prefer about 1-2ft vis with 1.5-2ft waves. The trout become more aggressive with a little more wave action and use the waves energy to surf in and attack the bait. I usually only see these conditions starting late may and lasting through mid July. After that the wind tends to die along with the wave action.

My biggest 2 specks came from the surf in June with these type of conditions

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Hurricane Nicholas sucked for me since I had to man a chain saw for a week, but I’m glad it worked for you. I’m dying to get out, it’s been since groundhog day that I’ve been in my kayak. Loved your report and photos. I love to fish the marsh and only never ending external events and inexhaustible extenuating circumstances have kept me from that love. But, I plan on the final extermination of anyone and anything that has kept me from the marsh. Hopefully, that won’t violate any particular criminal statutes and I can pursue redfish in peace and without the cloud of any law enforcement activity.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Karstopo, as a certified lawyer, I opine that you are violating no federal or state criminal statutes in your quest to fish the marsh.

And if you are somehow cited or charged, please call my legal associates Shoffer or Watson to come bail you out.

(I'll be fishing, trying to GET SOME)... ImageImage

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

P. S. Yak Boi, you're again invited to join the Hobie Navy for our next nighttime kayak trip. It's been awhile since our last voyage. Don't yet know when, but watch your mailbox & keep your powder dry. Shoffer might get free this weekend.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Sweet sounds good. Just let me know

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Yak Boi has been emailed about tonight's kayak trip.

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

karstopo wrote:Hurricane Nicholas sucked for me since I had to man a chain saw for a week, but I’m glad it worked for you. I’m dying to get out, it’s been since groundhog day that I’ve been in my kayak. Loved your report and photos. I love to fish the marsh and only never ending external events and inexhaustible extenuating circumstances have kept me from that love. But, I plan on the final extermination of anyone and anything that has kept me from the marsh. Hopefully, that won’t violate any particular criminal statutes and I can pursue redfish in peace and without the cloud of any law enforcement activity.
Sorry to hear that Karst. Hopefully you get out soon and get your fix of salt air and red fish. Looking forward to your report

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Yak Boi has been emailed about tonight's kayak trip.

Thanks Don. I had planned on coming after a short afternoon trip yesterday, but it turned out to be an all day trip. Will post report soon. Hope y’all got on em last night

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

You missed nothing, Yakboi.

We launched at Sea Isle at 8:45 pm and I fished bayside overhead lights mainly. Overall, I must have caught 50 dink Sand Trout all night. the largest was probably 10 inches. I did land a 13 inch foul hooked speck on a silver spoon also. But easily caught 25 or so dink sandies. No reds or flounder or anything else. We then ventured to the Terramar area, which was a nice change of pace, but the canals were fairly dead there. Very little bait in the lights.

We returned to the Sea Isle bay lights, most of which were occupied. We fished a green overhead light and I caught one legal speck at 17 inches about 5 hours into the trip on a Yozuri small lipped crankbait. It was the same light I fished before.

We were off the water by 2:45 am. Temps and wind were fantastic, just no tide movement and crappy solunar. The minor from 9:30 to 10:30 was fairly uneventful.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Shoffer pretty much nailed it. We had low comfy east wind, a bright waning moon late, and baywater visibility of about 18", but all that wasn't enough for me to land a legal gamefish.

But I did catch 12" sand trout on 5 different small lures until I was sick of it. So Shoffer gave me the only legal Trout he caught... Thanks, captain!

I'm hoping the falling water temperatures stimulate a Fall Trout spawn which will improve the fishing.

Until then we'll read Yak Boi's fishing reports and hope for future success.