SPI Fishing

Texaskb

SPI Fishing

Post by Texaskb »

Headed to SPI this summer. Trying to determine if it is worth taking the yaks. Any tips on fishing the bay behind the island? Any good spots or advice? Thx in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: SPI Fishing

Post by Neumie »

Lots of good access to kayak and wade. Most places worth kayak fishing could also be waded, kayak would open more water.

Here's a Google Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 74863&z=12

North of the Convention Center is a classic spot.

Isla Blanca Park you can launch a kayak from the boat ramp for Mexiquita Flats or South Bay if it's calm enough. Could also wade from there back towards the Coast Guard Station. Fishing the jetties is another great option.

Although they closed access to Holly Beach, you should still be able to launch/wade from some of the streets there; such as Rider.

Arturo Galvan Coastal Park in Port Isabel is good option if it's really wind from the south; wade or kayak.

I would check to see if Space X is launching when you're down there.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Not sure when you're going but keep in mind this area is included in the new temporary sea trout regulations (3 per day 17"-23" and nothing over 23"). Looks like these temporary regs on sea trout will be in place through July and possibly longer.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

just keep in mind mid-day is not a good time to fish SP in summer - early and late - in the tropical mid-day heat, the fish will feel just like you will.
Texaskb

Post by Texaskb »

Big thanks for the advice! It looks like the bay is a big flat just beyond a narrow channel from the road where I’d launch. I’m closer to the bridge than the convention center. Will likely drift that area looking for sand pockets and holes.
Is there any way to know how deep it is in the bay?

flydoc

Post by flydoc »

If you're lookin for reds Mex. Flats the east side of Long Is. there's shallow flat that runs the length of the Is .100'out. fish on a rising tide. Crab flys site fishing.
South Bay I would run the finger channels south towards SpaceX and let the prevailing S. wind push across the flats.. Again crab flys or spoon fly. Pretty skinny for hardware.
The west SPI shore from Isla Blanca to the convention center holds trout also Holly Beach rd access.
I was there in Jan. before the freeze. GL
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Texaskb wrote:Big thanks for the advice! It looks like the bay is a big flat just beyond a narrow channel from the road where I’d launch. I’m closer to the bridge than the convention center. Will likely drift that area looking for sand pockets and holes.
Is there any way to know how deep it is in the bay?

If the channels and ICW didn't exist you could nearly walk between the mainland and the island, it stays pretty shallow across the lower Laguna Madre. Most of the flats are in the 2-4 foot range where you'll be fishing; I doubt you'll ever be anywhere deeper than that.
Pyledriver

Post by Pyledriver »

When are you going? I got on here to post the same question as you, lol. The only place I had in mind was the convention center. Right now I'm weighing the notion of taking my kayak or not. I really only have one or two mornings since this is primarily a family trip. That said, where we're staying is in close proximity to the CC so I'll probably just wade that area. We'll be down in early June. I'm also planning a trip to the Port A area where I do plan to take my kayak, and I have a large selection of areas scoped out to fish. I just haven't nailed down the exact weekend I want to go.
Texaskb

Post by Texaskb »

Pyledriver wrote:When are you going? I got on here to post the same question as you, lol. The only place I had in mind was the convention center. Right now I'm weighing the notion of taking my kayak or not. I really only have one or two mornings since this is primarily a family trip. That said, where we're staying is in close proximity to the CC so I'll probably just wade that area. We'll be down in early June. I'm also planning a trip to the Port A area where I do plan to take my kayak, and I have a large selection of areas scoped out to fish. I just haven't nailed down the exact weekend I want to go.
Heading down mid June. I’ll have plenty of time to fish. Hoping for good weather and light wind.
Best of luck on your trip.