Redfish Day

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Redfish Day

Post by karstopo »

Strange times these days, but when I’m in the kayak, whatever is going on out there, it just doesn’t even register. Water, waves, beautiful brown pelicans, ducks, comorants, Osprey, egrets, herons, all doing their thing and oblivious to it all. Let the birds be my guide.

My primary first choice launch was occupado, someone in a skiff was fishing exactly where I wanted to so then off I drove to plan b. Plan B featured low, low conditions, tide coming in fast. Greenish water. Light SE winds. Perfect. Heck just being out in the sun was perfect.

So, it was a day for catching redfish. Never did I go far or long without catching fish, every last one a redfish. All in about 2’ of water. Biggest was about 24” smallest about 15”. Lots of 18-19” fish. Two lures, hammertime saltwater assassin paddletail on 1/8 ounce jig head and an olive Borski slider. I fished up current or down, it didn’t matter. Depth was the main thing
Attachments
D3395667-8444-492E-AC6D-D0515C50E281.jpeg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Redfish Day

Post by Ron Mc »

wow - hope you're hungry - bang-up day, bro.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Zero fish in freezer. Lot’s of mouths to feed. Uncertain supply chains and times= keeping fish.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

karstopo wrote:Zero fish in freezer. Lot’s of mouths to feed. Uncertain supply chains and times= keeping fish.
Great report karst. I agree, the yak is a form of medicine. Id be curious to track my resting heart rate when I go out to see if there’s any difference. Good thing that skiff was in your area haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bones72

Post by bones72 »

Absolutely awesome. Have caught reds on the fly just need to get on the fly rod. Always to windy when I have hit some of the areas I've been but a UV glue shrimp under a popping cork worked very slow is deadly. Looking forward to warmer weather and getting the flyrod back in action.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

It was a good day. Maybe the skiff guy got on them too. Sun warmed mud and shell shallows in winter seem to stimulate a bite, especially with some water coming up on them.

Yea, I never give anyone a hard time about keeping legal fish, not that that was necessarily anyone’s intent here. It’s certainly fashionable to do exactly that, shame people, on most fly fishing sites for keeping fish and that’s everyone’s right to have their opinions about keeping fish, but it sort of becomes about getting into each other’s business where I think they don’t belong at some point. I could likely find something destructive or wasteful or distasteful in each and everyone’s life and then come along and make derogatory comments on that, but it only becomes the public’s business when a law gets violated.

Some people don’t like redfish for table fare, but I think it better than trout or at least more versatile. I wouldn’t and haven’t commented on people keeping their 5 legal trout here on TKF or made any innuendos about that fact so I would expect that people would treat me with the same consideration, even if they might believe 5 16-19” trout being somehow less important gamefish than 3 juvenile redfish. The world has gotten way too much into looking into each other’s motives and reasons for doing this or that. Cancel this person for not expressing the othrodoxy or consensus of the moment.

But, happy fishing. Let them loose or keep your legal fish, it’s up to you and not me, and you won’t hear anything from me to attempt to undermine either choice.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

karstopo wrote:It was a good day. Maybe the skiff guy got on them too. Sun warmed mud and shell shallows in winter seem to stimulate a bite, especially with some water coming up on them.

Yea, I never give anyone a hard time about keeping legal fish, not that that was necessarily anyone’s intent here. It’s certainly fashionable to do exactly that, shame people, on most fly fishing sites for keeping fish and that’s everyone’s right to have their opinions about keeping fish, but it sort of becomes about getting into each other’s business where I think they don’t belong at some point. I could likely find something destructive or wasteful or distasteful in each and everyone’s life and then come along and make derogatory comments on that, but it only becomes the public’s business when a law gets violated.

Some people don’t like redfish for table fare, but I think it better than trout or at least more versatile. I wouldn’t and haven’t commented on people keeping their 5 legal trout here on TKF or made any innuendos about that fact so I would expect that people would treat me with the same consideration, even if they might believe 5 16-19” trout being somehow less important gamefish than 3 juvenile redfish. The world has gotten way too much into looking into each other’s motives and reasons for doing this or that. Cancel this person for not expressing the othrodoxy or consensus of the moment.

But, happy fishing. Let them loose or keep your legal fish, it’s up to you and not me, and you won’t hear anything from me to attempt to undermine either choice.
I’m of the same opinion as you when it comes to keeping legal gamefish. Until me keeping legal specks or reds is against the law, I will keep what I want at my own discretion. Over time people will have their reasons for keeping this “size” or “number” of fish, but that’s no ones business except the angler who’s buying a license for the right to do just that. I’m not out there for a meat haul, but man sometimes you just want to share a nice meal with the family and enjoy the fruits of your labor. I’ll never judge somebody for that. Keep up the reports, I always enjoy yours.

All the best, YakBoi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I endorse your comments on the dangers of the Cancel Culture. If your activity is legal and ethical, people oughtta stay out of your business. Keeping legal fish qualifies.

My philosophy tends libertarian. Stay out of my business, especially if you're the government. Otherwise I'll unleash my legal and martial skills on your sorry ass.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Great report, congrats on finding them. That one is a fatty! I love the pull of a nice red!!!