Fall overboard? This might help.

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Fall overboard? This might help.

Post by richg99 »

Looks like a reasonable idea.

I think the price is crazy for a tube of plastic and a CO2 cartridge, but if I was hoping for a rescue, there is NO cost too high.
https://newatlas.com/marine/seearch-wea ... 1-91654449
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fall overboard? This might help.

Post by Ron Mc »

I saw a video demonstration where a guy used his Engel cooler between his knees to give him buoyancy for launching back into his boat.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I cloak myself within my 'grumpy ol' man' bubble and give my two cents worth.

The unexpected happens now and then. However, the 'unexpected' can be prevented in most kayak mishap cases.

1. If you haven't practiced how to , or simply can't get back into your kayak from deep water...,then don't kayak in deep water.
2. Learn to brace. If you keep your paddle in the proper position for a 'brace', you won't tip over in tippy conditions.
3. Wearing a proper life jacket (not a blow up) is as important as a paddle...,maybe more so.
4. In my opinion, anyone, this side of a very well experienced kayaker, is flirting with untenable danger by venturing off shore. If venturing BTB alone,
then you fall into a uniquely different category all together.
5. Kayaks are not the safest water conveyance. Take paddling lessons from an expert. Know your kayaks limits. know your own limits.

I have seen kayaking grow exponentially over the past 15 years. I have also seen the gulf coast inland waters become inundated with power boats. The two are not a good mix, and the looser when a collision does occur, is a foregone conclusion. This is especially true when one considers that the only qualification for operating either water craft, is the money to pay for one.

So, be smart, be educated, be aware, and be respectful.

The entirety of the above rambling diatribe does not apply to those under 25. They are as bullet proof as we were at that age, and not yet introduced to the intricate realities of the world.
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Fall overboard? This might help.

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Kayak Kid wrote:I cloak myself within my 'grumpy ol' man' bubble and give my two cents worth.

The unexpected happens now and then. However, the 'unexpected' can be prevented in most kayak mishap cases.

1. If you haven't practiced how to , or simply can't get back into your kayak from deep water...,then don't kayak in deep water.
2. Learn to brace. If you keep your paddle in the proper position for a 'brace', you won't tip over in tippy conditions.
3. Wearing a proper life jacket (not a blow up) is as important as a paddle...,maybe more so.
4. In my opinion, anyone, this side of a very well experienced kayaker, is flirting with untenable danger by venturing off shore. If venturing BTB alone,
then you fall into a uniquely different category all together.
5. Kayaks are not the safest water conveyance. Take paddling lessons from an expert. Know your kayaks limits. know your own limits.

I have seen kayaking grow exponentially over the past 15 years. I have also seen the gulf coast inland waters become inundated with power boats. The two are not a good mix, and the looser when a collision does occur, is a foregone conclusion. This is especially true when one considers that the only qualification for operating either water craft, is the money to pay for one.

So, be smart, be educated, be aware, and be respectful.

The entirety of the above rambling diatribe does not apply to those under 25. They are as bullet proof as we were at that age, and not yet introduced to the intricate realities of the world.
I just throw I spare life jacket in the back of the yak incase I take a swim I can just grab it real quick.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I posted this same LINK on another site.

A scuba diver there said that they use something similar. It is a Safety sausage and is inflated by mouth. Here is a LINK to that device.
Never heard of a safety sausage...but..here is one! Great idea!

https://getwetstore.com/products/sa072? ... 9sQAvD_BwE
2 Weight Willie

richg99 wrote:I posted this same LINK on another site.

A scuba diver there said that they use something similar. It is a Safety sausage and is inflated by mouth. Here is a LINK to that device.
Never heard of a safety sausage...but..here is one! Great idea!

https://getwetstore.com/products/sa072? ... 9sQAvD_BwE
Ha!! safety sausage!!

Saltshiner

Post by Saltshiner »

Here's the safety sausage I clip to my BC vest when scuba diving, however they provide no buoyancy. They are merely to mark your presence. You send them up on an attached string when you are nearing the surface during a safety stop, at maybe 15 feet.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &id=174193

In addition to the life vest, it seems to me that the safest thing would be to have the kayak near you for visibility, and for flotation. Does anyone attach their life jacket, or wade pants to their kayak so that they remain together in the event of a spill? I worry about entanglement, but I also worry about the kayak getting away from me, so I haven't resolved how to do this when kayaking alone.

I have attached a blue dock line to my Outback to help with flipping the beast back over in the event it turns turtle. I've only used it in my swimming pool, and I'm hoping it would also work out in the wild. Maybe a longer version of that line, attached to my wading pants would keep the kayak from getting away. Is this safe? Would love to hear from more experienced kayakers.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &id=174194
Attachments
20201201_162703.jpg
20201201_162712.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

at least with paddle kayaks, your paddle leash should be your handle to your boat.
I can't think of a time when I'm separated from my paddle, and the single time I turtled, came up with paddle in hand.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I didn't think about tying my yak to me....until...one day I was getting out of the yak in some serious muddy-bottomed water.

I sunk about 15 inches into that Gumbo. The yak, along with all of my gear and my wallet, starting sliding away in the light breeze.

I nearly leaped out of the mud to grab the anchor trolley line. If I hadn't been able to reach it, my kayak, gear, keys, and my money, all would have drifted out into the intercoastal near Freeport. From that day forward, I always had her tied to me at all times.

I haven't kayaked in a few years, but I miss it mightily.
Saltshiner

Post by Saltshiner »

richg99 wrote:I didn't think about tying my yak to me....until...one day I was getting out of the yak in some serious muddy-bottomed water.

I sunk about 15 inches into that Gumbo. The yak, along with all of my gear and my wallet, starting sliding away in the light breeze.

I nearly leaped out of the mud to grab the anchor trolley line. If I hadn't been able to reach it, my kayak, gear, keys, and my money, all would have drifted out into the intercoastal near Freeport. From that day forward, I always had her tied to me at all times.

I haven't kayaked in a few years, but I miss it mightily.

That is the scenario I worry about! Was wade fishing along Titlum Tatlum a few months ago, and my stakeout pole got loose and the kayak started drifting toward SLP. Fortunately I had the bow rope clipped onto my wading pants, so it didn't get away. However I don't kayak with the bow rope clipped on me because there are lots of ways to get tangled above the water, and worries about getting tangled below the water.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Just a thought...perhaps if your bow line were clipped onto your paddle leash, you'd have a much better chance of recovery. Your paddle should float near you in the case of a flip-over. ???

I don't know how much safer that is, because your yak might pull the paddle away, too???
2 Weight Willie

Saltshiner wrote:Here's the safety sausage I clip to my BC vest when scuba diving, however they provide no buoyancy. They are merely to mark your presence. You send them up on an attached string when you are nearing the surface during a safety stop, at maybe 15 feet.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &id=174193

In addition to the life vest, it seems to me that the safest thing would be to have the kayak near you for visibility, and for flotation. Does anyone attach their life jacket, or wade pants to their kayak so that they remain together in the event of a spill? I worry about entanglement, but I also worry about the kayak getting away from me, so I haven't resolved how to do this when kayaking alone.

I have attached a blue dock line to my Outback to help with flipping the beast back over in the event it turns turtle. I've only used it in my swimming pool, and I'm hoping it would also work out in the wild. Maybe a longer version of that line, attached to my wading pants would keep the kayak from getting away. Is this safe? Would love to hear from more experienced kayakers.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &id=174194
That's neat but kinda scary if no one is around.

2 Weight Willie

richg99 wrote:Just a thought...perhaps if your bow line were clipped onto your paddle leash, you'd have a much better chance of recovery. Your paddle should float near you in the case of a flip-over. ???

I don't know how much safer that is, because your yak might pull the paddle away, too???
My uncle tried that many years ago. Don't know if he liked it, but he still does it so....who knows?