In search of a Pelican Catch PWR 100 / Suggestions?

Lumberjack98

In search of a Pelican Catch PWR 100 / Suggestions?

Post by Lumberjack98 »

My 14-year-old son and I have been kayak fishing, mainly in and around Christmas Bay, for several years. We've been using some older sit on top kayaks.

He has decided he wanted a new kayak. So, my wife and I told him to figure out a way to come up with the money. He started his own pressure washing business in the neighborhood and has raised the funds needed to purchase a new kayak.

He has his mind set on getting a kayak that is already set up for a trolling motor and that he can stand up and fish out of. He's focused on the Pelican Catch PWR 100, but we can't find one anywhere. The Pelican website shows Academy, Bass Pro, Gander, and Dick's as retailers. However, there on none listed on their website, and when we call, they tell us they won't special order one. I've reached out to Pelican and am waiting on a response.

Does anyone here know where we may be able to locate one around the Houston area? Would definitely be willing to drive to get one.

Alternatively, do any of you have any other suggestions that would work?

Thanks in advance!
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: In search of a Pelican Catch PWR 100 / Suggestions?

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Lumberjack98 wrote:My 14-year-old son and I have been kayak fishing, mainly in and around Christmas Bay, for several years. We've been using some older sit on top kayaks.

He has decided he wanted a new kayak. So, my wife and I told him to figure out a way to come up with the money. He started his own pressure washing business in the neighborhood and has raised the funds needed to purchase a new kayak.

He has his mind set on getting a kayak that is already set up for a trolling motor and that he can stand up and fish out of. He's focused on the Pelican Catch PWR 100, but we can't find one anywhere. The Pelican website shows Academy, Bass Pro, Gander, and Dick's as retailers. However, there on none listed on their website, and when we call, they tell us they won't special order one. I've reached out to Pelican and am waiting on a response.

Does anyone here know where we may be able to locate one around the Houston area? Would definitely be willing to drive to get one.

Alternatively, do any of you have any other suggestions that would work?

Thanks in advance!
Um I am not familiar with the the small shops in Houston, but if the bigger retailers are not offering them then try for it out of state or ordering from other cities.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
SWFinatic

Re: In search of a Pelican Catch PWR 100 / Suggestions?

Post by SWFinatic »

That's awesome that he has raised the money to buy his own kayak. But I'm not sure he will be happy with the Pelican Catch PWR 100. Yes it is made to accept a trolling motor but it is still a kayak and it will still need to be paddled at some point. How much paddling will depend on the waters he fishes. That kayak isn't going to paddle well at all. NuCanoe has several kayaks that are made to accept gas or electric motors and while aren't great paddling kayaks will paddle better than the PWR 100. The only issue may be length. If 10' is his max length there's not a lot of other options.

There is another kayak similar called the Jonny Bass 100. https://jonnyboats.com/. Keep resale in mind. These haven't been very popular and I've seen a couple of used ones take a while to sell in a market that is really easy to sell a used kayak. One reason is again they're really hard to paddle.
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: In search of a Pelican Catch PWR 100 / Suggestions?

SWFinatic wrote:That's awesome that he has raised the money to buy his own kayak. But I'm not sure he will be happy with the Pelican Catch PWR 100. Yes it is made to accept a trolling motor but it is still a kayak and it will still need to be paddled at some point. How much paddling will depend on the waters he fishes. That kayak isn't going to paddle well at all. NuCanoe has several kayaks that are made to accept gas or electric motors and while aren't great paddling kayaks will paddle better than the PWR 100. The only issue may be length. If 10' is his max length there's not a lot of other options.

There is another kayak similar called the Jonny Bass 100. https://jonnyboats.com/. Keep resale in mind. These haven't been very popular and I've seen a couple of used ones take a while to sell in a market that is really easy to sell a used kayak. One reason is again they're really hard to paddle.
On that note there is one other option he could try. The big fish 105 could work. You might want to see if the back end is motor compatible.

2 Weight Willie

Bonafide kayaks are also a great choice. Made by the guy who made yak gear.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Thanks for the suggestions! We'll take a look at the ones recommended and see if that points us in a direction that works.
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: In search of a Pelican Catch PWR 100 / Suggestions?

Lumberjack98 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! We'll take a look at the ones recommended and see if that points us in a direction that works.
Alrighty, tight lines!

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Update:

After much more research and going and looking at several kayaks, he's decided on the NuCanoe Flint and he's adding the 360 seat upgrade. It sounds like once we order it, it will be about a month before it will arrive. That will be a LONG month for him, but should make it that much sweeter.
2 Weight Willie

Good choice