Fly fishing the flats

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Fly fishing the flats

Post by Prof. Salt »

This week I paddled out in the dark and made the five mile paddle into the muddy flats to try out a new crab pattern I'm tying. I needed to be back at the office for a noon meeting, so I took the Stealth and moved quickly. I arrived just as the first glimmer of light was beginning to show in the sky, and made quick work of getting a limit and a couple of bonus fish for grins, before hustling back to the truck. Fourteen miles by 10:30? Yes sir, and it was fun.

Last edited by Prof. Salt on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
OldTownYakBoi

Re: Fly fishing the flats

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Prof. Salt wrote:This week I paddled out in the dark and made the five mile paddle into the muddy flats to try out a new crab pattern I'm tying. I needed to be back at the office for a noon meeting, so I took the Stealth and moved quickly. I arrived just as the first glimmer of light was beginning to show in the sky, and made quick work of getting a limit and a couple of bonus fish for grins, before hustling back to the truck. Fourteen miles by 10:30? Yes sir, and it was fun.

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALCnYBT12JE&t=163s[/youtube]
Sounds like an epic adventure, good kayak for that mission. Do you wade once you’re at your spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

No, I continuously cover shorelines looking for fish. I just cast while seated and it works for me.
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

I have a trident 15 and it’s a fast kayak but that stealth is on another level . That’s a long paddle in a short period and you still got some fishing in .
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Professor Salt, I was wondering if you could post some pictures and sizes of the flies you use on the 4wt for Redfish?

I have a TFO Professional II 8' 4wt with the SA Mastery MPX fly line and I get down to Port Aransas/Aransas Pass a few times a year. Hopefully it'll be more in the next 5 years as my kids get older.

I've been exploring the area and I'm working on the fly rod from the kayak to be able to sight cast to Redfish. I would like to try using the 4wt for the smaller Rat Reds.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The 4wt will handle moderate sized flies well, especially with the line you're running. For redfish under 32" the line and rod can handle them nicely, as long as your reel has a smooth drag. The first photo is representative of the bendback flies I use, and the lower photo is a good representation of the crab sizes I've been fishing lately. Because the flats are so shallow, it doesn't take a large lead dumbell up front, and that helps keep fly weight down so that the lighter setups can cast them effectively.

ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Thanks!

What materials are you using for the baitfish and crab patterns?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

It's synthetic fiber. I call it EP fiber (Enrico Puglisi is the company that pioneered it), and the stuff works really well for flies. It appears bulky in the water but has almost no weight and is pretty easy to cast. There are lots of YouTube videos showing how to tie flies with it. I am working on videos for my two main patterns, but they will take a few weeks to finish.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Thanks, I've been looking at getting some to tie the Merkin Crab with. When I first looked at the photos, I thought it was maybe craft fur on the baitfish patterns and then it came to me this afternoon that it was probably EP.
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Fly fishing the flats

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

ben_beyer wrote:Thanks, I've been looking at getting some to tie the Merkin Crab with. When I first looked at the photos, I thought it was maybe craft fur on the baitfish patterns and then it came to me this afternoon that it was probably EP.
Try the razmataz pattern. My dad uses it alot and it works incredibly! Maybe try the Kwan also

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Yeah, I was going to look at some of the Bonefish patterns since they are typically tied on smaller hooks relative to traditional Redfish flies.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Great, but how am I supposed to fish with you paddling so fast? Hashtagmudmotor.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

You don't need to keep up with anyone, just work shorelines! But if you want to keep up there are three options Tom:
1. Pedal harder (the little shallow water feather kicks at a high rate of speed should do it)
2. Get a Stealth and paddle harder
3. Get a mud motor (this may severely limit the number of fish you can sneak up on)

:lol:
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Not worried about following you, its finding my way back.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Tombo wrote:Not worried about following you, its finding my way back.
That's a legitimate concern. I suggest your phone's Google maps. I used it a lot when I was getting used to the neighborhood. I still have to double-check sometimes.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Cool
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Fly fishing the flats

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Tombo wrote:Not worried about following you, its finding my way back.
Ha!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

The first time I went out in saltwater with my kayak was at Wilson's Cut. I took my depth finder and marked way points so I could find my way back.

Now I just use my phone to see where I'm at use my rod, paddle, stake out pole when I want to know how deep the water is and I can't see the bottom.
WanderingBlues

Post by WanderingBlues »

Prof. Salt wrote:The 4wt will handle moderate sized flies well, especially with the line you're running. For redfish under 32" the line and rod can handle them nicely, as long as your reel has a smooth drag. The first photo is representative of the bendback flies I use, and the lower photo is a good representation of the crab sizes I've been fishing lately. Because the flats are so shallow, it doesn't take a large lead dumbell up front, and that helps keep fly weight down so that the lighter setups can cast them effectively.

I’ll have to tie up some of those Merkin variations. We’re going to be staying on Christmas Bay for a month starting mid Feb. Can’t wait.