Doing it again on a still October morning

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Doing it again on a still October morning

Post by Prof. Salt »

Today winds are rocking with a cold front moving through, but Wednesday morning was completely still. Here's a little of what happened aboard the kayak:

https://youtu.be/fPxKMrWV0pU
Last edited by Prof. Salt on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yak Dog

Re: Doing it again on a still October morning

Post by Yak Dog »

You make it look soooo easy, love the kayak . How is not having a back rest vs having a rest working out for you ?
impulse

Post by impulse »

Prof. Salt wrote:Today winds are rocking with a cold front moving through, but Wednesday morning was completely still. Here's a little of what happened aboard the kayak:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRIAZ73_rvA&t=16s[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRIAZ73_rvA&t=16s[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRIAZ73_rvA&t=16s
Are you aware that you have set those videos to "Private"?
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

I was able to view it earlier today but now it does show private
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

http://youtu.be/fPxKMrWV0pU

Sorry, I realized there was extra blank footage at the end, so I had to repost the updated version. This one should work.

And as far as the Stealth not having a backrest, it took a little while to get used to it but wasn’t bad. Now I realize that the perfectly shaped seat pan in the kayak allows me to be more mobile in the seat, and my core muscles are really working more leaving me with a stronger low back and nearly zero back pain. My back used to hurt when I used a seat, but now it’s only “sore” for a few seconds as soon as I stand up. By the time I load the kayak I’m feeling great! For me, the seat was reinforcing poor posture and making my back hurt.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

If that isn't an artful display of the most fun a man can have, then I don't know what is.

I went on my last kayak fishing excursion at age eighty. So, I have no complaints. But, those days of gliding by kayak through the Gulf Coast waters...,fly rod in hand..., the wonders of nature close at hand...,are now behind me. As such, you can't imagine how much I enjoy the plethora of videos that you stalwarts share with me.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

KK, here's a trip you might consider - this was celebrating my dad's 90th birthday
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &p=2295515
fly rod, UL, 3/8-oz swim shad - change up is everything here, and all you have to do is sit on the dock, enjoy each other's company, and watch for fish sign.
We have another crowd going here for the Nov new moon.
Don't know of any other place where so many fish come to you.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Kayak Kid wrote:If that isn't an artful display of the most fun a man can have, then I don't know what is.

I went on my last kayak fishing excursion at age eighty. So, I have no complaints. But, those days of gliding by kayak through the Gulf Coast waters...,fly rod in hand..., the wonders of nature close at hand...,are now behind me. As such, you can't imagine how much I enjoy the plethora of videos that you stalwarts share with me.
You humble me with the thoughts KK, and thank you! I wish I had discovered fly fishing years ago, but then again I’m not sure I was truly ready for it until recently. These quiet mornings On the water are a real treat for me, and I can’t wait to get my son back from Okinawa to see if they are as special to him as they have been for me. Nothing on the water would bring me more joy, and he’s part of my motivation. I want to have things (and areas) figured out enough to show him how to get the most out of these experiences.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Rom Mc,
Thanks for reminding me of the fantastic times I've had fishing the Arroyo. My first venture there was in 03 with my PACK buddies. Most of the guys camped out in the park, but four of us rented rooms in a private home next to the park that is now the Arroyo Sport lodge. I caught my first snook that first night while fishing from the pier.

That was the first of five trips I've made since....,three to that same house, and two to a guides home. It was (and will be again, I hope) no big deal to fly into Harlingen and rent a car for the short drive to the Arroyo.

My MO was to sleep most of the day and fish all night with 4 and/or 5 wt fly rods using various sized white shrimp like flies I tied. Never had a night without furious spec action.

I plan on taking the bride there and spending a week at one of the rental homes. Depends on when I can safely get onto a plane again.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Don't want to hijack this great thread, but we've honed the dock fishing to where everybody who wants to gets a daily bag limit.
In fact, we throw back most 16" trout and everybody's daily limit includes schoolie males over 20".
I've caught two snook there myself, one on a double with a trout, and broke off a lifetime snook - at least 30" - saw him creeping under the edge of the dock. This place is too good to stay away.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I get to see your videos before you post in here as I am subscribed to the master kayaker! Well done and looks like you have a blast casting to them so easily. Thanks for sharing and keep the videos coming! :clap: