Little help needed.......

fishingw/f.o.c.

Little help needed.......

Post by fishingw/f.o.c. »

Just picked up a thresher 155 and am needing to find some track bolts to mount rod holders (railblaza) and other things.
With the way things are now I have not been able to find any locally. (Corpus Christi Area) Is there any suggestions out there in what I can use?
impulse

Re: Little help needed.......

Post by impulse »

I gave up on local supplies, especially during Covid.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Stainless ... B072J2CSNW

https://www.amazon.com/YYST-Inch-Hardwa ... B07VSRX1PS

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kayak+rail+nuts

Of course, the best configuration will depend on what you want to mount...
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Either ACK or Amazon will be your best bet (as impulse linked to)
fishingw/f.o.c.

impulse wrote:I gave up on local supplies, especially during Covid.

Thanks for the tips. Bad thing is none of those will be here in time. I wanted to have it set up so I could use it this weekend. DANG YOU COVID!!!!!!!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

fishingw/f.o.c. wrote:
impulse wrote:I gave up on local supplies, especially during Covid.

Thanks for the tips. Bad thing is none of those will be here in time. I wanted to have it set up so I could use it this weekend. DANG YOU COVID!!!!!!!
I would think Roys would be your best bet locally. Maybe West Marine? Could give Debi a call at Outlaw Embroidery (formerly Jerry B's Kayak) and see if she has some old stock lying around.

Is that really good hardware store in the Bluff still around? You could see if they have a tee bolt (similar to this https://www.homedepot.com/p/POWERTEC-1- ... /309586260) or flat heasd carriage bolt and grind the sides down (similar to this https://www.amazon.com/National-Hardwar ... B002KFZUJE)
2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

You could take the short drive to tackle town in rockport.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

Congrats on the thresher purchase, that is my style of kayak long and lean. I usually keep extras of EVERYTHING but I’m out of the bolts you needed. Surely someone around you won’t be fishing this weekend and will let use them until you get yours. Good luck with the search
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Go fishing. Fix little stuff later. A rod; A PFD; a paddle. That's all you really need.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

richg99 wrote:Go fishing. Fix little stuff later. A rod; A PFD; a paddle. That's all you really need.
This is true and I would keep it simple especially if you haven't done a roll test in the kayak yet to minimize how much stuff you lose.

I've heard on the Bite Me podcast that kayak fishing is just another form of wade fishing. Less is more granted I don't take the minimum. But I could see throwing my wading sling and/or a small box of flies and going out looking for fish and still have enough soft plastics or extra spoons if I go through a few.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Since wind is just about a given on the coast, we always plan trips that get us to nice grass flats for drift fishing with a sock.
Of course that always includes beginning the day paddling upwind to structure where sight-fishing, including the fly rod, may pay off.
fishingw/f.o.c.

Thanks for all the helpful hints. If I cant find what I need by tomorrow..... its not going to matter. This babe is hitting the water no matter what.
Add description
Add description
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Good for you. Since it will be windy, some kind of stick anchor will help a lot. My first one was a steel golf shaft with the head cut off. $2.00 at the Thrift store.
outbreaker

Post by outbreaker »

richg99 wrote:Good for you. Since it will be windy, some kind of stick anchor will help a lot. My first one was a steel golf shaft with the head cut off. $2.00 at the Thrift store.
My first one was a copper grounding rod from Home Depot. It worked great but was heavy.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

richg99 wrote:Good for you. Since it will be windy, some kind of stick anchor will help a lot. My first one was a steel golf shaft with the head cut off. $2.00 at the Thrift store.
I went to Goodwill and bought the longest graphite shaft driver they had; just under 4' with the head cut off. Set me back $1. That was 15 years ago, still using it today.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Stevo bought a fiberglass gate hook from a tack store, made to lift gate latches from horseback.
It had a metal point and hook - he took the grinder to the hook and kept the metal point.
(green glass with black handle)
He has the PowR Pole on his new Outback
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

It looks like he has it going through a scupper. I wouldn't do that if you are sitting in the kayak. Just the gear it might be OK but I would still avoid going through the scupper holes.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

He's wading the Little Cut shoal and catching February specs
If you're trying to stake and position your boat for fishing, you stake through the trolley ring, and position your boat on the trolley.

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Yeah, an anchor trolley is truly a great invention.

My first one was two pulleys and a carabiner in place of the ring. No screw holes. Tied it to the front and stern fittings.
fishingw/f.o.c.

My current stake out pole is a old helicopter rod. Just under four foot. Took all the guides off and it works great.
My anchor trolley is attached to the kayak with looped bungee cords to absorb any shock from waves.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

richg99 wrote:Yeah, an anchor trolley is truly a great invention.

My first one was two pulleys and a carabiner in place of the ring. No screw holes. Tied it to the front and stern fittings.
Rich, that works, and Steve above ran similar versions on 3 or 4 boats for most of 2 decades.
You can make a well-functioning tie-in trolley using the large (3/8") Ronstan Shocks in place of pulley blocks.

Every boat should have some form of trolley - if you need to tow someone (paddle with wives, kids), you can tie his bow line and move it to your stern without either of you getting out of your boats.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Lots of good hints here.
fishingw/f.o.c.

Ron Mc wrote:
richg99 wrote:Yeah, an anchor trolley is truly a great invention.

Rich, that works, and Steve above ran similar versions on 3 or 4 boats for most of 2 decades.
You can make a well-functioning tie-in trolley using the large (3/8") Ronstan Shocks in place of pulley blocks.

Every boat should have some form of trolley - if you need to tow someone (paddle with wives, kids), you can tie his bow line and move it to your stern without either of you getting out of your boats.
I really like those.... I might just order my self some. Those look a lot better then carabiners.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Z-cleats are good for quickly pinning your trolley in place.
This one, I had good access to back it from the stern hatch,
but if you pick the right hardware, you can mount them on rails - rail nuts and short flatheads.
They're also useful for lashing other boats when a bunch are staking out, lashing the end of your drift sock deployment line, etc.
The place to find piecemeal fasteners is Bolt Depot. They mail first class, their NH hub gets post out quickly, and they don't care how small your order, they give the smallest order the same great service as a big order.