Galveston Island after Beta

OldTownYakBoi

Galveston Island after Beta

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

As many are already aware Beta passed over us on Saturday, winds here in Galveston were a steady 30 with gusts to 40mph+ for around 24hours wind was mainly a out of the N to NNE. I didn’t even consider going out yesterday, and but just took a coffee drive to check things out and thought I’d share some observations. The island itself didn’t flood much, just the normal low lying areas.

-Observations
BEACHFRONT: As of today the surf has laid down completely, water clarity isn’t there with about 6 in or visibility, but this could easily improve over the next day or two with light winds. It’s that time of year the bull reds are back.
BAYSIDE: My next trip was to the harbor to check clarity of water as well as water levels. I will say sometimes the clarity in the harbor can be deceiving due to it being so protected, but it’s close to home and is a good enough indicator for discussion. Water clarity in the harbor is maybe a foot, so the bay probably isn’t any better than the surf as far as clarity. The water levels are definitely up, but it doesn’t appear to be too much difference in what we have been seeing for the past two months. Expect water levels in most areas to be 1ft to 2ft higher than their baseline.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Galveston Island after Beta

Post by Ron Mc »

Think that was Delta, bro, Beta passed through there on Sep 22 - but understand your concerns.
With the eye of Delta to the east, y'all got storm tide and the wrap-around winds.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:Think that was Delta, bro, Beta passed through there on Sep 22 - but understand your concerns.
With the eye of Delta to the east, y'all got storm tide and the wrap-around winds.
Pardon me I’m hurricane drunk lol, thanks for correcting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
impulse

Post by impulse »

Not that it matters for kayakers, but if you're zipping around in your 60MPH skinny boat, watch for lumber floating around the bay and canal. Just today at Sea Isle, I pulled 6 pieces of 2x12, 2x6 and 3x10 off the surface that floated close enough to cast a treble hook over.

All with nails, SST screws, and galvanized lagbolts looking for something to pierce. Apparently sections of dock and bulkhead that came loose- maybe during Delta, but I suspect we still have debris from the much worse Beta floating around. 3 of them were big enough to really do a number on an unwary lower unit. The other 3 were just a nuisance, but I suspect they'd wake you up if you hit them at speed.