Post by OldTownYakBoi »

When :9 - 10 am
Where:Beachfront Surf

Conditions:
Temp-84 degrees
Winds-12mph SE
Swells-2ft+
Water Clarity-2ft

Decided to hit the surf this morning around 9 am. Got to the Seawall and was met with some beautiful trout green water and moderate southeast winds. As I was walking the beach looking where to set my stuff I could see large trout hunting in the waves on the second bar. I waded in but hung out on the edge of the first bar due to the wave action and strong current. I threw a plastic for about 5 casts before deciding it was twitch bait weather. Sure enough, after putting on my twitch bait I started getting some hits. I hooked up and lost a fish on my second cast, so it gave me positive reinforcement to continue to work at that cadence. About 15 minutes in I’m working my lure and get a hard thump, the bait is already moving so there is no need to reel down for tight line, I simply set the hook, fish on! Initial thoughts of the fish was that it felt heavy, it was making run after run and holding down, I thought it may be a shark... about 3/4 way through the fight the fish thrashes at the surface and I can see a white belly and spots, it was a bigg trout. After some time I managed to get him to me and hand grabbed him, I should’ve used my grips, but in the moment I forgot about them.

I walked to the beach and asked a couple watching to snap a few pics for me. What an incredible outing, man big trout are so fun to catch; once they reach this size it’s almost like fighting an entirely different fish. Man o man I’m a lucky dude.

I weighed and measured the fish, and while it was only 23”, it was a whopping 4+ pounds. I would’ve stayed, but a storm rolled through and I decided to head home for lunch. Get out there and chunk some lures this weekend, maybe you’ll get blessed by the fish gods with an awesome fish like this. Tight lines everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by OldTownYakBoi on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
katzig

Re: 1hr for one fat trout

Post by katzig »

Beautiful Trout , great catch
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

katzig wrote:Beautiful Trout , great catch
Thanks, it was a blast!

Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Very nice trout!
And you are so correct about the fight at that size. 23" is my personal best for a trout I caught last fall, and until that fish, I didn't think any size trout fought very hard really. Boy was I wrong. The 23" one I caught I thought it was a mid slot red except for the occasional thrashing that felt different than a redfish. It wasn't until I finally got it to the surface did I see the spots. I still get all giddy about that fish.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Cityfisher wrote:Very nice trout!
And you are so correct about the fight at that size. 23" is my personal best for a trout I caught last fall, and until that fish, I didn't think any size trout fought very hard really. Boy was I wrong. The 23" one I caught I thought it was a mid slot red except for the occasional thrashing that felt different than a redfish. It wasn't until I finally got it to the surface did I see the spots. I still get all giddy about that fish.
Thank you! Hope you catch another soon, the surely are fun

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good job, Yak Boi, and we finally get a look at our Surf Master! Thumbs up for the Astros cap, although I'm having doubts that our team will go far in the playoffs this year.

As for Speckled Trout strength, I've long maintained that surf-runner Trout fight harder than their bay brothers. I used to hit the Bolivar surf off Boyt Rd. and catch ten-Trout limits on chartreuse rattling Mirrolures.

I know those surf Trout had more vigor & stamina, and by God, they seemed to even taste better than bay specks. Keep up the good work! .

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

cool photo, too
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Dandydon wrote:Good job, Yak Boi, and we finally get a look at our Surf Master! Thumbs up for the Astros cap, although I'm having doubts that our team will go far in the playoffs this year.

As for Speckled Trout strength, I've long maintained that surf-runner Trout fight harder than their bay brothers. I used to hit the Bolivar surf off Boyt Rd. and catch ten-Trout limits on chartreuse rattling Mirrolures.

I know those surf Trout had more vigor & stamina, and by God, they seemed to even taste better than bay specks. Keep up the good work! .

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks DD, the pic was too good not to share. I fully agree with you on surf trout strength, I think it’s due to an abundance of both food and predators being present. Couple that with battling stronger current and swells and it’s no mystery as to why this is. Whatever it is I like it haha. The surf has really produced for me this summer, I hope the with fall fishing approaching this trend continues. Once again the big fish was caught on a twitch bait Image
Featuring my $30 spinning rod with free mono from academy Image

OldTownYakBoi

1hr for one fat trout

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote:cool photo, too
Thanks! They look so damn good right out of the water. Much better pictures than a cleaning table pic when they look all nasty

Pablo
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Pablo »

OldTownYakboi, great detailed report and beautiful photos! Glad you caught that 23 inch trout on a twitchbait, that makes it even more special!

Good luck on your future Adventures!
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Pablo wrote:OldTownYakboi, great detailed report and beautiful photos! Glad you caught that 23 inch trout on a twitchbait, that makes it even more special!

Good luck on your future Adventures!
Thank you Pablo, good luck to you as well!

topwater trout

Post by topwater trout »

Nice trout.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

topwater trout wrote:Nice trout.
Thank you!