TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

Please visit our sponsor Slowride Guide Services
I am planning on driving down early tomorrow morning to Aransas Pass to fish lighthouse lakes. I've fished this area several times and I'm familiar with the different lakes, but I don't get down there too often since I live in Houston. I was wondering if anyone knows how the water clarity and water levels have been since the hurricane? Looks like there is supposed to be a high tide around 7 am at the Port A jetties. I will be fly fishing and if the water is dirty and high I may scrap the trip since it would be difficult to do any sight casting. Thanks in advance.
I was there 7/27-7/30. Bay was about 1-2 feet high and the tide was going out all day, every day. High tide at most caused a slack tide.

Water clarity was good by Galveston standards and ok by CC standards.

When I left the bay was almost back to normal and it was clearing up well. I did the best with pinfish near the channels next to grass flats.
the traditional salmon fly Mrs. Simpson tied on a size 2 stainless hook using saddles or pheasant rump makes a great pinfish.
Tie in a piece of kiptail or similar stiff fur, a pair of hen saddles in back will give you vertical bars. If you have the pheasant rump, use a pair up front, or a pair of rooster saddles and pinch off the tips to get the triangular shape.
My go to fly is a clouser that, I think, is a good pin fish pattern. I usually tie it on Sixe 6 Gamakatsu semi circle hook.the colors are black, chartreuse, pink and white, with a few stands of crystal flash. OF course that is black on top with white on the bottom as the fly works through the water. I have had best results with red dumbell eyes in XS for shallow and medium for deeper cuts.

Even thought I use four colors, I try to keep it pretty sparse.

Specks will kill tihs fly when the standard chartreuse and white get ignored.
Native Titan 12 Propel (2018)

Purchased new from ACK in early 2019 and only laun[…]

We are having a tournament this Saturday October […]

Don't want to hijack this great thread, but we've […]

Redfish still Spawning???

Nice video. One big difference between Tuesday an[…]