Cutthroat Bass in Texas

Kayak buddy

Cutthroat Bass in Texas

Post by Kayak buddy »

I went fishing again and will be every other day till I get a job in my field. But I caught an elusive Cutthroat Bass, it was safely released so someone else can catch him. Thanks

https://youtu.be/2HIpgFbvDx4[img]https: ... aa0d20.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bones72

Re: Cutthroat Bass in Texas

Post by bones72 »

Those were some good fish. Like the flex of that 3wt very reminiscent of my Hardy 3wt glass.
Kayak buddy

Re: RE: Re: Cutthroat Bass in Texas

Post by Kayak buddy »

bones72 wrote:Those were some good fish. Like the flex of that 3wt very reminiscent of my Hardy 3wt glass.
But this is probably the same quality but 1/4 the price. Its an aggressive taper and it needs a little more weighted line to throw some of bass and panfish bugs i throw. Do u have a recommendation?

bones72

Post by bones72 »

I use a Wulff Triangle Taper on mine in 3wt and seems to do the trick. I rarely overline rods as most newer lines are punching above their stated wt anyway. The Wulff lines seem to fit the bill between overlining and using the stated wt in other brands. My 3wt will throw clousers to #4 with medium to small lead eyes and does good with little Bett's poppers too. Haven't pushed her harder than that.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

bones72 wrote:I use a Wulff Triangle Taper on mine in 3wt and seems to do the trick. I rarely overline rods as most newer lines are punching above their stated wt anyway. The Wulff lines seem to fit the bill between overlining and using the stated wt in other brands. My 3wt will throw clousers to #4 with medium to small lead eyes and does good with little Bett's poppers too. Haven't pushed her harder than that.
Thanks

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

excepting there's nothing elusive about smallmouth-stained spotted bass - it's the A-strain endemic bass that are rare, now in only two creeks protected from smallmouth genetics by natural barriers.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

Ron Mc wrote:excepting there's nothing elusive about smallmouth-stained spotted bass - it's the A-strain endemic bass that are rare, now in only two creeks protected from smallmouth genetics by natural barriers.
Which one is this? Image

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

can't tell without a liver biopsy
but blue sheen is a good sign
copper sheen is smallie hybrid

this girl's on the good side, and was caught at a bat cave vent - probably got this size eating the baby bats that fell in.
Our endemic bass will also live in the aquifer, which smallies won't, and the next drought may cull some hybrids
ImageMy video on the subject was an episode of KT Diaries, True Texas Bass.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

Ron Mc wrote:can't tell without a liver biopsy
but blue sheen is a good sign
copper sheen is smallie hybrid

this girl's on the good side, and was caught at a bat cave vent - probably got this size eating the baby bats that fell in.
Our endemic bass will also live in the aquifer, which smallies won't, and the next drought may cull some hybrids
ImageMy video on the subject was an episode of KT Diaries, True Texas Bass.
If they keep flooding the rivers with Guads mating behavior should purify the hybrids.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

that's extremely unlikely - flooding the rivers with stocked fish is a band-aid.
Once that stops, endemic Guadalupe bass will become extinct unless we have a drought severe enough to wipe out the hybrids in the big stretches of the rivers.
With current groundwater usage, that's possible.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

Unfortunately what Ron says is so true. Many of the fish native to different regions are under threat even where they are supposedly" pure". Greenback and Rio Grande cutthroat in Colorado and New Mexico and Southern Appalachian Strain Brook Trout (SASBT) back east or Golden Trout out in California.
What is even sadder is that much of the unwanted DNA is added by people wanting to help. The greenbacks planted in Rocky Mountain National Park where found to contain a high degree of other cutthroat and rainbow genetics. Now the only supposedly pure strain of greenbacks is limited to one lower elevation creek just outside of Colorado Springs that would be subject to thermal pollution due to lack of canopy, over siltation because the creek had not been protected for years and had offroad vehicle trails around and through the stream bed, and that all goes without mentioning the threat of fire s so prevalent in the mountain west. In the case of the SASBT in an effort to restore brookies to their native ranges the National Park Service and National Forest together with a host of state agencies planted northern strain fish ontop of vestigial populations of native fish not understanding the southern strain chars had unique adaptions to living south of the New River in Va.
I could go on and on about how people have screwed up so many unique environments but at the same time I am thankful for what we have at present. I also love reading about everyone's adventures here and the awesome biology and history lessons I glean from folks like Ron.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

bones72 wrote:Unfortunately what Ron says is so true. Many of the fish native to different regions are under threat even where they are supposedly" pure". Greenback and Rio Grande cutthroat in Colorado and New Mexico and Southern Appalachian Strain Brook Trout (SASBT) back east or Golden Trout out in California.
What is even sadder is that much of the unwanted DNA is added by people wanting to help. The greenbacks planted in Rocky Mountain National Park where found to contain a high degree of other cutthroat and rainbow genetics. Now the only supposedly pure strain of greenbacks is limited to one lower elevation creek just outside of Colorado Springs that would be subject to thermal pollution due to lack of canopy, over siltation because the creek had not been protected for years and had offroad vehicle trails around and through the stream bed, and that all goes without mentioning the threat of fire s so prevalent in the mountain west. In the case of the SASBT in an effort to restore brookies to their native ranges the National Park Service and National Forest together with a host of state agencies planted northern strain fish ontop of vestigial populations of native fish not understanding the southern strain chars had unique adaptions to living south of the New River in Va.
I could go on and on about how people have screwed up so many unique environments but at the same time I am thankful for what we have at present. I also love reading about everyone's adventures here and the awesome biology and history lessons I glean from folks like Ron.
But we are talking about Guadalupe bass and what is the truth about trout isn't the truth in GuadalupeBass. Genetics will always trigger behavioral responses. Bass don't have the limiting confound that trout do, one of them is the Bohr and Root effect on respiration. Trout will always be limited by this.
Parent genetics are not always 50-50, sometimes it 60-40. This can be the hope for the Guadalupe Bass.
My presumption is purely observational and is not backed up by any scientific studies I know.