5-31-20 Sargent, dead caney lake

Chubs

5-31-20 Sargent, dead caney lake

Post by Chubs »

My family and I have setup camp in Sargent Texas for the next 2 months. Will probably have a few reports to share from our adventures! This is a late report from our 1st day down there. It's a bit of a sloppy report but hey, better this than nothing huh :)

Here is the copy paste from my log book with a few tweaks:

Fished from canals on east to dead Caney.
Water was a little murky
Took my son in the front of my inflatable. Mom and Dad also brough their Kayaks.
Was fairly windy.
I was using popping cork, ¼ oz matrix shad, and Ned Rig TRD.
Didn't catch much but did hook a flounder on the matrix Shad, didn't get a good hookset so he got off at the side of the boat. Darn! Tried to recapture him since I hear they don't move far when they spit the good but no dice.
Hooked him on a grassy point in shallow water (about 1 ft)
Caught a few undersized trout too on the same matrix shad, trolling and casting around oyster in the middle of the lake.
Dead Caney is a bit shallow.
Tried a mullet under popping cork but I don't have much confidence in it so I gave it up.

Keys to catching fish:
Flounder was up shallow near the outlet of the canal on the shoreline, worked the matrix shad by swimming it back fast enough to keep it off the mud with a steady retrieve. Next time need to let it sit for a few seconds after the tap then set the hook.

Next time try:
Head towards the ICW most likely to get better fish.
Need to make use of the anchor and fan cast the shorelines to find flounder.

Here's some pics :)

I'll upload another report from last week later.
Attachments
20200531_111423.jpg
20200531_111416.jpg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 5-31-20 Sargent, dead caney lake

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Great report! Glad yu spent time with the family enjoying life together! :clap:
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Great job. You and the kids will remember those days forever. One of my favorite pictures is from a day I let my son skip school about 5-6 years ago to go kayak fishing in Christmas Bay with me on what was supposed to have been a 4-star day. He is sitting on the back of my T160 holding up a rat red he caught on a tandem rig. Time flies. Enjoy it while you can.
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

You didn't have confidence in a mullet under a popping cork?

Thats one of my go to baits in that area. The smile on the boys face tells it all. Good Job!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks all :)

Believe it or not, I have no idea how to use live bait effectively heh. I almost always use artificial so just haven't developed the skills. I actually thought I was doing something wrong by putting the mullet under the cork lol.

We catch a ton in the cast net at night though at the camp ground so I'll give it another shot!
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

You were doing it right! Mullet and popping cork will definitely bring some action... the only downside is that everything eats it... hardheads, stingrays, gafftops... You never know what you might catch.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

We were right across Mitchell cut from you yesterday at the end of Matagorda peninsula. We will be here a few more days. My grandson caught this shark and gaftop on mullet. Image Image They do grow up fast but then you get to work on the grandkids. It just keeps on going. Enjoy it all!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Thats awesome man! Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Nice OMYS. We have yet to get over to that cut yet. Tried to fish it last week but it was just too windy.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: 5-31-20 Sargent, dead caney lake

Chubs wrote:Nice OMYS. We have yet to get over to that cut yet. Tried to fish it last week but it was just too windy.
The next day my grandson caught this one in the surf about a half mile from Mitchell cut by Brown Cedar cut

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

That is awesome.

He's going to remember that the rest of his life. :clap:
imaoldmanyoungsalt

junkyard chihuahua wrote:That is awesome.

He's going to remember that the rest of his life. :clap:
I can only hope and I certainly know I will :D :D :D
Redyaker

Post by Redyaker »

I fish Dead Caney Creek occasionally I have a fish camp in Sargent. last fished DCC about 2 weeks ago and caught 1 flounder 19". Looks very fishy there. Oddly enough I never catch redfish or trout in there. Have never been skunked there......always come home with at least 1 legal flounder.

Water only about 18" to 3' with quite a bit of shallow oyster reefs. Not a good place to capsize. I wear oyster proof sting ray proof boots but if you fell out getting up you would probly get cutup some.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Redyaker wrote:I fish Dead Caney Creek occasionally I have a fish camp in Sargent. last fished DCC about 2 weeks ago and caught 1 flounder 19". Looks very fishy there. Oddly enough I never catch redfish or trout in there. Have never been skunked there......always come home with at least 1 legal flounder.

Water only about 18" to 3' with quite a bit of shallow oyster reefs. Not a good place to capsize. I wear oyster proof sting ray proof boots but if you fell out getting up you would probly get cutup some.
Oh cool, we'll have to compare notes some time.

You actually get out and wade DCC? It seemed like incredibly soft mud all over when I stuck my paddle in. I was actually fishing that same week it if was 2 weeks ago, and matter of fact I landed a keeper redfish lol. I actually just worked up the report finally and will post it up here in a moment.