Lighthouse Lakes part deux

stangfisher

Lighthouse Lakes part deux

Post by stangfisher »

Anyone want to spoon? Gold spoon that is. Launched at 6am Friday. Threw a pumpkin seed chartreuse assassin, an electric chicken, and a glow chartreuse with multiple different speed and retrieve variations. Had a few hits. Caught a rat red and one 11" trout. Kept throwing those until 9 with not much luck. Kept seeing red after red but they just weren't taking it. Switched to a gold spoon and started fishing around a relatively large school of mullet that were acting jumpy around grassy potholes. First cast...24inch red. Between about 915 and 1130 I reeled in 18 reds that could have been put on a stringer, including 2 oversized. Simply cast and reel. No fancy retrieve used. Limited out with a 21, 22 and 24 inch red. I would say the average size was 24 inches. Never in my life have I experienced what I have read about so many times. Had the time of my life and can definitely say my kayak fishing is ramping up
Attachments
20200612_131250.jpg
stangfisher

Re: Lighthouse Lakes part deux

Post by stangfisher »

Trying to get another pic loaded. Let's see if this works.
Attachments
24inch in the net
24inch in the net
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

Nice!!! Thanks.
Treader

Post by Treader »

Well-done! I've been out a dozen times a year for 4 years and only had one day like this. It's truly special. Thanks for sharing!
stangfisher

Post by stangfisher »

Been fishing the coast for 20 years. Only the second time I got into something like this. But this time was a much faster pace than I've ever had before. I've limited out in 45 minutes before, but never have I caught that many keepers of that size consecutively. It's always been keeper, 5 rats, keeper, 15 rats...and so on. This time was a blast that made my body hurt.
outbreaker

Post by outbreaker »

My grandfather and I were fishing once at the mouth of the San Bernard toward the end of summer.

We were cast netting 3" mullet. Anything bigger or smaller the fish would not hit.

We caught over 50 bull reds in 4 hours. None of them were small enough to keep. And back then they had to be under 36". We quit fishing because our arms hurt so much we could not cast anymore.

Best day for Reds I ever had......and we were disappointed because we brought no fish home to eat.
FingerMullet

Post by FingerMullet »

Wow! 18 reds!! That’s an epic day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
symmfish18

Post by symmfish18 »

Great post and sounds like an amazing day!
DrPungo

Post by DrPungo »

Gotta be too much fun when you catch the reds just stackin' up. :D