Thinking about new kayak

fishchase

Thinking about new kayak

Post by fishchase »

My current kayak is a Perception Pescador 12' I bought at Academy. I've had it about 10 years and I've been thinking of getting something new. What I really want is to able to stand on it and sight cast with a fly rod. I'm also thinking of going shorter, maybe a 10'. I'm not getting any younger and I want something easier to load and unload from my truck. I haven't decided if I actually will get a new one and if I do I don't have a fortune to spend. Just hoping to get some suggestions from you guys who are familiar with the current market. Thanks
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Thinking about new kayak

Post by Neumie »

The Perception Pescador weighs around 64 lbs, it's going to be hard to find a significantly lighter kayak which will allow you to stand.

Here are some options:
Crescent Ultralite - Length: 10' 02", Width: 30", Weight: 46 lbs, Capacity: 350 lbs, MSRP $700
Feel Free Moken 10 V2 - Length: 10' 00", Width: 33", Weight: 65 lbs, Capacity: 440 lbs, MSRP: $600
Pelican Catch 100 - Length: 10' 00", Width 34", Weight: 54 lbs, Capacity: 350 lbs, MSRP: $700
Perception Pesdacor 10.0 - Length: 10' 06", Width: 32", Weight: 57 lbs, Capacity: 325 lbs, MSRP: $570
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

Neumie wrote:The Perception Pescador weighs around 64 lbs, it's going to be hard to find a significantly lighter kayak which will allow you to stand.
My thoughts exactly. That old joke "I want a light kayak that's stable enough to stand, paddles fast, tracks well in wind, and is affordable" comes to mind.

I like what I see from the Crescent boats, though it's just been window-shopping. Wouldn't be surprised to see more of their LiteTackle boats around TX soon.

I like the idea of buying used. That way if you don't end up loving it you can re-sell and get 90% of your money back.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

If your budget isn't limited, there's always Diablo Chubacabra in ABS at 56 lbs. Make sure you get the optional skeg for wind control.
creekstone

Post by creekstone »

SteveRetrieve wrote:I like what I see from the Crescent boats, though it's just been window-shopping. Wouldn't be surprised to see more of their LiteTackle boats around TX soon.
First I've heard of Crescent. Interesting.

I saw the Solo Skiff on their website. Have they always made the roto Solo Skiff (under license agreement)?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I believe the Solo Skiff was the first boat Crescent released.
symmfish18

Post by symmfish18 »

I just got a NuCanoe F10. It won’t be the fastest or best tracking, but it’s wide and doesn’t weigh a ton. I can eventually put a trolling motor if I really feel like it, but mostly it’s so I can sight cast for reds.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote:I believe the Solo Skiff was the first boat Crescent released.
The Solo Skiff was developed by Tom Mitzlaff (Mitzi Skiffs) and first made of fiberglass around 2011. Crescent predates that by about a decade, so I'm guessing Crescent was licensed to rotomold the Solo Skiff sometime around 2015.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

symmfish18 wrote:I just got a NuCanoe F10. It won’t be the fastest or best tracking, but it’s wide and doesn’t weigh a ton. I can eventually put a trolling motor if I really feel like it, but mostly it’s so I can sight cast for reds.
I’ve been thinking about a NuCanoe (F12) every since I saw a guy on the Guad standing up and meandering his way through a rock garden patch of a riffle and proceed to cast a fly rod. Oh yeah, he had a dog on it with him!
symmfish18

Post by symmfish18 »

JW FunGuy wrote:
symmfish18 wrote:I just got a NuCanoe F10. It won’t be the fastest or best tracking, but it’s wide and doesn’t weigh a ton. I can eventually put a trolling motor if I really feel like it, but mostly it’s so I can sight cast for reds.
I’ve been thinking about a NuCanoe (F12) every since I saw a guy on the Guad standing up and meandering his way through a rock garden patch of a riffle and proceed to cast a fly rod. Oh yeah, he had a dog on it with him!
I tried out both the F10 and F12 and they are extremely stable and since I mostly fly and sight cast, I am hoping that it does the trick. I am still going to continue to look for a Perception Outlaw for my wife to use. I spoke with ACK and they said that Perception is so far behind that they are running limited colors and models currently to try and catch up.