gas motor(2.5HP) on kayak

jgg696

gas motor(2.5HP) on kayak

Post by jgg696 »

Hey guys,

Thinking of putting a Suzuki 2.5HP gas motor(30lb) on my perception pescador pro 12. Wondering what you guys though about that.
I know this upsets the kayak purists, but I need a motor to get to some faroff spots down here in LLM. Will register as boat if it happens.

Motor:
http://www.suzukimarine.com/product%20l ... df2_5.aspx

For mount , just thinking of doing traditional PVC and wood , like below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oot1YPMOUe8

Thanks!
DUKFVR

Re: gas motor(2.5HP) on kayak

Post by DUKFVR »

Check out the honda too.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Can't help you. I'm a kayak purist.

But, I certainly would not suggest that you shouldn't do your thing.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I'm sure you've considered all of these things but I'll throw them out there in case.

First you'll need to keep some additional things on board like your current registration papers, a throw cushion, a fuel can with gas and a valid fire extinguisher. Yes there are docs on TPWD that indicate you may not need this. I can tell you from experience if you have an outboard engine on a watercraft in Texas you will need a valid fire extinguisher.

Also I see you plan to side mount the engine. With the side mounted outboard comes outriggers (or at least one on the side the engine is on). This is added cost, added rigging and tear down time and additional things to transport. I would not recommend adding an outboard to the side of your kayak without an outrigger or stablizer.

I've seen guys go the outboard motor route before because it's cheaper or at least they think so than a Torqeedo. Ultimately it turns out to be more. Granted a Torqeedo 403 won't give you the speed a 2.5 gasser will but it will still give you the about the same distance, keep you from having to carry a fire extinguisher and keep you from having to add outriggers since you can mount it on the back and use the existing steering system.

Finally when it comes time to sell you'll have a lot better chance selling it with a Torqeedo than with a gasser.

Food for thought.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I get what you are wanting to do, as much as I love to paddle, and I most of the time will paddle 7-8 miles to fish, but I am toast by the end of it. And it always seems I have a headwind on the way back! Plus yes there are places I haven’t been able to get too because they are too far.
So my two cents here are that the video was for an electric trolling motor, they don’t weigh that much by themselves ( the battery does but not the motor) So a gas motor, with gas in the tank is pretty heavy hanging off the side of a kayak. How stable is yours? I know my WS Tarpon 120 wouldn’t like it! Plus you have to think about when you get to that shallow marsh or fishing spot you still have that weight hanging off the side.
What I have been contemplating using for those “expedition” outings is a Newcanoe Frontier 12 it has a square stern so you can throw the motor of your choice on the back. Take it off and it is an excellent fishing kayak that will keep the purists at bay.
Besides, can you ever have too many kayaks?
impulse

Post by impulse »

Here's how I put my 2.5 HP Yamaha on a fishing kayak.

Simple and cheap... 3x3x1/4" aluminum angle, a 2x8 for a motor mount and cheap boogie boards so it doesn't roll over from the weight of the outboard. (learned that one the stupid way) Removable with 4 6mm nuts.

Here, it's parked on the River Kwai, about 1/2 mile from the famous bridge. I had a ball with it. Also took it offshore in the Gulf of Thailand. But I left it behind in Thailand.
Attachments
Stand Up Kayak.jpg
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRkRnt907zQ

Check this out. We put a 2.5 on a Ride 135. It works and when we get to the spot we hang the 2.5 in the milk crate to get it out of the way.

I moved to the Solo Skiff but this worked for me for a while. This is a friend of mine that rigged his kayak like my rig.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I was going to suggest YouTube is your friend! Go there and search and I bet you find what you're looking for. Good luck and pictures later! :clap:
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I would also try and find an older 2 stroke for the weight savings.
WC53

Post by WC53 »

In addition to a kayak, I also have a solo skiff. I have a homemade troller setup on my yak. As I have gotten older with shoulder problems, I take the troller most trips (Maybe after shoulder replacement I won’t, who knows).

Gas vs electric. If you are just running distance, gas. If you do a lot of start and stop fishing, electric is way, way nicer. You just turn the dial and advance a bit. It is quiet!!

Even with the solo, I will stick a troller on it some days and leave the gasser home. Now in current, crossing ICW, etc, I like the gas motor.

Making a system can be done cheap if you have time, access to parts and tools. After all my trials and tribulations to get mine where I want it, I would have bought a Torquedo...
creekstone

Post by creekstone »

Torqeedo has some competition these days: Bixpy

https://bixpy.com/bixpy-j-1-outboard-kit/

https://bixpy.com/adapters/
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

In terms of another electric motor option yes sir they do. Unfortunately the Bixpy can't compete with Torqeedo in terms of motor power and battery duration. Bixpy is obviously cheaper tho and q great option for many. There's also ePropulsion and Texas Power Paddle
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

GoDoe wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRkRnt907zQ

Check this out. We put a 2.5 on a Ride 135. It works and when we get to the spot we hang the 2.5 in the milk crate to get it out of the way.

I moved to the Solo Skiff but this worked for me for a while. This is a friend of mine that rigged his kayak like my rig.

Heck yeah!!! that looks awesome. That's on the texas coast?
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

impulse wrote:Here's how I put my 2.5 HP Yamaha on a fishing kayak.

Simple and cheap... 3x3x1/4" aluminum angle, a 2x8 for a motor mount and cheap boogie boards so it doesn't roll over from the weight of the outboard. (learned that one the stupid way) Removable with 4 6mm nuts.

Here, it's parked on the River Kwai, about 1/2 mile from the famous bridge. I had a ball with it. Also took it offshore in the Gulf of Thailand. But I left it behind in Thailand.
Nice! Did you drill through the kayak to mount the wood? Can't tell
impulse

Post by impulse »

I drilled 4 holes in the kayak to mount the aluminum angle. The wood for the motor mount bolted to the aluminum angle.

I set 4 of these into the hull to secure the aluminum to it. When I paddled around without the motor, I plugged the holes with round head screws.

https://www.amazon.com/30PCs-Stainless- ... B077GQLQZ8
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Following, I just purchased a bracket designed to mount a 2.5hp gas motor on my Bluesky 360.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

My posted video is at Brown and Root in Aransas Pass.

We bent two pieces of old deer feeder legs and stuck them in rear, flush mount rod holders. Then bolted the 2 X 4 across then at the right height so the motor would be able to pick up water to cool itself. It's not that hard you just have to play with the angle of the bends in the tubing so the motor ends up hanging vertical.

Neumie is right on the 2 stroke. Ours was and old yamaha. You can't kill the thing and I think it weighs like 27 lbs. We would take it off and hang in on the crate in the back. Let the skeg rest in the slot where the rudder would lay when up. We bolted a piece of 2 X 4 inside the top lip of the crate so the motor would fit on there and not wobble around.

We did get some weird looks but it beats paddling home in the wind.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

My Bluesky will soon have a bracket attached to mount either a trolling motor or 2.5hp outboard. Bluesky lists a bracket but out of stock for a couple months. Another Bluesky owner makes his own bracket with the correct mounting angle.
My purpose is to get to other areas that I used to use a boat and a kayak.
wilsonkayak

Post by wilsonkayak »

I had a Mercury 3.5 HP two-stroke for a square stern canoe and later put it on a small jon boat. Sooner or later you will need a couple of shear pins and cotter pin for the prop. It is the equivalent of a spare tire for a car.