Purchasing a kayak

Bsethg

Purchasing a kayak

Post by Bsethg »

Hey all. This is my first post but excited to be part of the community! I’m purchasing a new kayak and looking seriously at Hobie due to the mirage drive. I don’t think there’s other pedal kayaks that can swim in the super shallows like that but maybe I’m missing something. Most of my time is with a fly rod in very skinny water. Pedal drive I think would get me to more places than paddle. Would like something portable to put in back of the truck and stable to stand. Other options are nucanoe and bonefide but I lose the pedal with those. Any comments/suggestions would be quite helpful. Going to demo some Hobies tomorrow.
SWFinatic

Re: Purchasing a kayak

Post by SWFinatic »

Welcome to the forum! I have or have experience with numerous Hobie's. For what you're looking (and not knowing your size) I would recommend either the Compass or the Outback. The Compass has a more open deck which would be better for fly fishing, paddles better than the Outback and is lighter (by almost 20 pounds which is a lot). But it doesn't have the bells and whistles the Outback does. The seat in the Compass isn't as comfortable and it doesn't have reverse. Honestly in the flats reverse can't be used anyway but it is nice to have when fishing in deeper water. Both the Compass and Outback are standing platforms for most and IMO have very similar stability. The Revo 13 is Hobie's best shallow water fishing kayak in my opinion but it's not a standing platform unless you ad AMA Sidekicks to it. The deck doesn't have much room at all for fly fishing.

Give us a shout if you have any questions. You're doing the right thing by doing demo's.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I agree with SWFinatic, the Outback or Compass would suit your needs. IMO, Hobie's Mirage drive is better suited for getting around on the flats over propeller type pedal drives. Nucanoe has what they call the Pivot Drive, I have no experience with it but it sure looks like it drafts quite a bit.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

My Revo 16 boat-rich buddy just bought a new Outback last week.
The new Mirage drive feathers to only 3" draft.
Bsethg

Post by Bsethg »

Thanks for advice. Leaning toward Compass. Less bells and whistles. Lower price point. Similar casting platform.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Bsethg wrote:Thanks for advice. Leaning toward Compass. Less bells and whistles. Lower price point. Similar casting platform.
I think you'd be really happy with that choice.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Ron Mc wrote:My Revo 16 boat-rich buddy just bought a new Outback last week.
The new Mirage drive feathers to only 3" draft.
Tell me he wants to sell his 16?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

sorry Tom, Stevo has a fleet and will still use both boats on different water and wind conditions.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Bsethg wrote:Thanks for advice. Leaning toward Compass. Less bells and whistles. Lower price point. Similar casting platform.
I think it'll work for you.

Tip: bring a towel with you to lay across the deck of the boat and cover the Mirage drive to prevent fouling your stripped line.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Ron Mc wrote:sorry Tom, Stevo has a fleet and will still use both boats on different water and wind conditions.

And a classic GMC. Short or long wheelbase?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it's the long wheelbase Toronado-drive "Urban Assault Vehicle", twin rear axles with Citroen-style air suspension and a pretty nice camper coach rebuild.
A long-term project finally getting close to road trips with good brakes, suspension, engine - another vehicle in aftermarket kits and rebuilds.
He's in the GMC RV owner's group and forum, and offers his man cathedral for repairs space to other members on the road.

Segue back on topic, he has 5 boats now, including Aquaterra Kahuna, his daughter's Redfish 10, Jackson Coosa (Great river boat), Revo 16, Outback. He sold one boat, the X-factor he bought to carry both then-young- daughters + dog, and he gave his Emotion Fisherman to our mutual buddy Lou.
The Revo 16 is his return to fast boats since the Kahuna, and he'll never part with it. He's kinda "outgrown" the Kahuna, and it belongs to his older daughter.