Fishing- Redfish Bay - Aransas Pass June 1- July 8 wanna go?

MathMan

Fishing- Redfish Bay - Aransas Pass June 1- July 8 wanna go?

Post by MathMan »

I’ll be staying in my RV in aransas pass from June 1 - July 10th. Anyone want to fish with me anytime during that timeframe? I’ll probably be fishing every day. Let me know if you want to meet up.

A little about me and my setup:

My kayak is an 10’ 4” kayak from Academy. I have put a better seat, pole holders, anchor trolly system, drift socks, basket, fish bag. I’m pretty new to the area but have fished from a boat out in the flats a few times lately. Never fished from kayak out there. I have fished from my kayak in lakes and rivers.

If it’s windy weather I won’t be going out. And will be wade fishing the flats.

I’m a follow the laws and rules and safety minded guy. If the fish is not perfect I let them go.

Hoping to catch some keeper red drum and trout! And anything else that bites!

I’m on a budget so I’ll be trying to catch my own bait.
Last edited by MathMan on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MathMan

Re: Fishing- Redfish Bay - Aransas Pass June 1- July 8 wanna go?

Post by MathMan »

I’ll be going Tuesday morning. Anyone want to join? Call or text: 830-583-6557
Blue65

Post by Blue65 »

Would love to sometime during the time frame. That is a long stint down there. You will be a pro pretty quickly. Maybe I will come down once you have it all figured out. I live in Houston.
MathMan

Post by MathMan »

So far I’ve caught a few trout. One keeper. I’ve been going to the same spot each time. I’ll try a new spot maybe in a day or two. I’m pretty new to kayak fishing so I’m staying safe and not going far.

If you come down let me know. Hopefully I do figure this place out.

I tipped my yak over on Monday evening! Wasn’t fun but I stood up and it was shallow:)
Blue65

Post by Blue65 »

Will do I am looking to get into the surf this weekend, and camp. Not sure quite yet where, but not sure I want to commit to Port A right off the bat. Will let you know
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Blue65 wrote:Will do I am looking to get into the surf this weekend, and camp. Not sure quite yet where, but not sure I want to commit to Port A right off the bat. Will let you know
Water is already up to the dunes in Port A with that low in the gulf. Port A and PINS will likely be out this weekend.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/str ... h-surf-cam
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

MathMan wrote:So far I’ve caught a few trout. One keeper. I’ve been going to the same spot each time. I’ll try a new spot maybe in a day or two. I’m pretty new to kayak fishing so I’m staying safe and not going far.
Where have you been fishing? What have you been throwing?
MathMan

Post by MathMan »

Neumie wrote:
MathMan wrote:So far I’ve caught a few trout. One keeper. I’ve been going to the same spot each time. I’ll try a new spot maybe in a day or two. I’m pretty new to kayak fishing so I’m staying safe and not going far.
Where have you been fishing? What have you been throwing?
I’ve been fishing in the open part of the flats in redfish bay. Paddling out and drifting. I’ve been using gulp shrimp.

This morning I decided to try a new spot and use live shrimp. Caught a 27” Redfish!!! Fought like hell! Pulled me around some:) I also caught 3 other small reds and 3 small trout. Going to put that red on the grill this evening! Yum!
Last edited by MathMan on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MathMan

Post by MathMan »

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

MathMan wrote:I’ve been fishing in the open part of the flats in redfish bay. Paddling out and drifting. I’ve been using gulp shrimp.

This morning I decided to try a new spot and use live shrimp. Caught a 27” Redfish!!! Fought like hell! Pulled me around some:) I also caught 3 other small reds and 3 small trout. Going to put that red on the grill this evening! Yum!
OK, I saw your post on Facebook.

Have you tried throwing a 1/4oz weedless gold spoon? Cast a reel, and works great on those flats. Have you tried working a topwater i the morning? Spook Jr.s in Bone or Silver Mullet are good colors. If walking-the-dog is not in your arsenal try a wakebait. Tackle Town in Rockport carries the Mann's Baby 1-Minus crankbait; bone or redhead if they have it.
MathMan wrote:Image
Nice red! Could probably get 4 meals out of it. Once you catch your first red it's all you'll ever want to catch, one of the best fighting fish.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

MathMan nice red! Keep in mind many times (not always but many times) reds will hit fresh dead shrimp also. You can buy this at the bait shop a lot cheaper than live shrimp. I've even caught reds and black drum on frozen shrimp from HEB seafood case. FYI peel the shell off the dead shrimp it can help.

Regardless of what you're throwing you still have to find them. Paddle until you start seeing signs of bait jumping around you. If there's zero movement on the water (no bait popping the surface) keep moving until you find bait popping. Also look for mud boils. If you see a mud boil stop and fish that area well. Mud boils mean fish are in the area.

Keep the pics coming!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote:Keep in mind many times (not always but many times) reds will hit fresh dead shrimp also. You can buy this at the bait shop a lot cheaper than live shrimp.
This reminds of a wade fishing trip my dad and made many years ago at Redfish Point (Copano Bay). We we're wading with live shrimp and not getting any action. I pulled a freshly dead shrimp from my bait bucket and hooked up on the first cast. We started ripping the heads off our live shrimp and started catching fish. Managed to string a couple reds not much but a lot better than the skunk we were working on.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Ha yep I've been in the same boat. Peeling the shells can help too especially for black drum. I do think a lot of times live shrimp works better than dead when sight casting reds. Sometimes it just doesn't matter.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Looks like you launched from San Patricio County Ramp. The flat to the north there is Stedman's, see attached photo. I highlighted the first spot in yellow. There are a series of guts along the inter-coastal and the other cut which almost always kickout a keeper red or two. It's good spot and gets overlooked.

Or you could launch from 361 on the north side and fish those deeper guts or paddle south to the reef. At least this way you'll have a SE wind to your back and pushing you back to your launchsite.

MathMan

Post by MathMan »

Thanks everyone for the tips. I’ve heard a lot of people say gold spoon so I’m definitely getting one. I’ll look into top water lures also.
MathMan

Post by MathMan »

This one I caught in South Bay. I was fishing redfish bay but only catching trout.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Where you were fishing was the south end of what most people refer to as Lighthouse Lakes; specifically what's called the Redfish Loop & Electric Lake Loop. Slowride's Guide Service should have laminated aerial maps for sale for this area or you could download a pdf from tpwd: click.

That's a pretty good spot that doesn't get hit as hard as the other lakes within LHL. More oyster in those lakes than others as well.