Knife and cutting

Kalait

Knife and cutting

Post by Kalait »

What knife do you carry while on the water, I have a leg dive knife? However, while on the water Saturday I had no blades on my person in case of emergency. :( Looking for a better knife. Possibly something which attaches to my PFD, which I now always wear weather on river or lake.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Knife and cutting

Post by Ron Mc »

There are some good titanium blades that use metal matrix composite edges.
Here's my neck knife - it nips braid, and won't randomly cut your finger
Wear on the matrix edge exposes microscopic carbo-nitride shark teeth. Totally salt impervious.
Schwartz Tactical.
They also make utility skinners, folders and dive knives using this technology.
Atomic Aquatics titanium blade made the top of the list in this Scuba mag review
https://www.scubadiving.com/15-brand-ne ... y-scubalab

Don't expect titanium blades to behave like steel (see metal matrix composite edge above). You can't cut your finger with these knives unless you try.
If you try to give it a honed edge matching steel in normally hard head, you destroy it.

I have a killer titanium self-sharpening fillet using the same technology - it makes short work of redfish ribs, but isn't sharp enough for skinning specs, so I use my sharp KOF for skinning fillets.
Titan Technologies.
Spyderco H-1 is the only long-term salt-resistant high-hardness stainless. I have the first model Spyderco Salt, 20 years old now, and always in the kayak.
Spydero H-1 Salt was the number one knife in the Scuba mag reviews I linked above.
I'm a metallurgist and PE, and have seen a lot of my well-cared knives give up in the salt, nitride-coated CRKT, and a Benchmade fillet to name a couple (the Benchmade actually gave up in freshwater, from exposure to fish blood, even with instant washing).

Also have this Kiko Matsuda Nickel+VG-10 damascus - the folding and hand-forging diffused enough nickel into the VG-10 layers it's salt-impervious, holds an incredible edge (slices like a razor blade). But damn, if I dropped it, could never replace it.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

I've lost too many knives, pliers, etc. over the years to carry anything nice. My bait knife is a low tech serrated steak knife that I made a rubber sheath for. I use a pair of cheap scissors for rigging leaders and such.

I also carry backups, just in case.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The Spyderco has a lanyard hole, and here's a Very Nice salt-resistant yo-yo (with Just Right pull force)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A36SDCI/

I have a couple of these, including one keeping my pliers.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Over the years I’ve used different things. I’ve settled upon a titanium dive knife with a blunt tip, serrated edge and line cutter. Got it from a dive shop and I strap it to my calf on the inside. I never clean it, never rusts and I find I use the serrated edge for cutting up mullet most

My wife got it as a gift but I think they are like $60-80. But I love that knife. It’s awesome.

WM
Wutevs

Post by Wutevs »

I use a BCD knife that I got at a dive shop. It has a backing that slides under the lash tab on my vest and then screws into the knife sheathe. Pretty secure imo. It's just a rescue knife. I use another knife for actual cutting up bait and things.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I have this knife.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/offshor ... ith-sheath

It's extremely sharp and you can't hardly beat the price of $4.99. At the end of the plastic sheath I put a small hole in it of which I took a very small zip tie through it. That zip tie goes on my PFD. All I have to do is pull the knife out and I have a knife on the spot when I need it. I have turtled in the surf and this knife doesn't fall out of the sheath unless I take it out. This knife blade is stainless steal.

I used to buy one every year as the knife would eventually get dull, as every knife does. I now have a belt sharpener so I have had the same knife for several years know and it stays just as sharp as it was the first day I bought it. The belt sharpener also sharpens serrated edges as well as straight edges.
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

I carry this on my PFD, all the time. Cuts line, rope etc. fast.

https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Captain-Resc ... 87&sr=8-13
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 10.18.32 AM.png
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Tired of watching the steel inserts rust, even with baths and detail maintenance, on my cost-effective alloy pliers.
Added them to my guest milk crate, to replace even older and rusted-in-spite-of-detail-maintenance Rapala pliers, and replaced them with the Danco titanium.
But why do they give us a leather sheath for salt pliers?
'sOK, I found a nylon sheath (with no metal grommets or rivets) for the new pliers on Amazon.