*****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, August 23, 2020 SUNDAY (((CONT. UPDATES)))*****

Yakety_Yak

Re: **********BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JUNE 6, 2020 SATURDAY**********

Post by Yakety_Yak »

LTA wrote:Never tried BTB before but I’m willing to try, put me down. I may be asking you’ll a lot question on gear.

Two question 1 How deep is the water at the Stand Pipe? 2 How deep is at the Rigs?

LTA.... great to have ya join the fun. The first stand pipe is around 40 ft deep. The further rigs we will not be going to. Those are further out and I have found that when you take new people out that far, they can get sea sick. Get your sea legs under you first before tackling something that far. Once you get comfortable with BTB kayak fishing, then try those further rigs.

Give me a call anytime if you have questions or you can post here. 832-588-7091 Tight lines!!
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

What size of landing net should I have for BTB?
Mhedgar

Post by Mhedgar »

I’m interested in going again this year.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Kalait wrote:What size of landing net should I have for BTB?
Unless you are planning to catch grouper or snapper, no net is needed. Even still, most of the time we usually just hoist those over on to the yak with no net (unless it's a huge grouper/snapper). Your net you will need is called a gaff. No net is really needed for this trip. The fish are too big for any net you will need. The odds of catching a keeper snapper at the rig is highly unlikely. You will catch snapper but they are usually all really small. At the morning of the launch at the captain's meeting, I will be telling everyone to not worry about fishing for snapper at the rig.
Mhedgar wrote:I’m interested in going again this year.
I got ya added to the list. Welcome! :)
LTA

Post by LTA »

Question on Lure Rigging? What should the leader length be? Can I use the Berkley 7 Strand wire (40 lbs.)? I’m planning on using the “Hay wire Twist” on the lure side and the firgure 8 on swivel, can anyone shed some light?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

LTA wrote:Question on Lure Rigging? What should the leader length be? Can I use the Berkley 7 Strand wire (40 lbs.)? I’m planning on using the “Hay wire Twist” on the lure side and the firgure 8 on swivel, can anyone shed some light?
Great questions. I have a link posted in my initial thread that will take you to a video. The video explains everything to making a king leader. The video is done by Glenn Madden, aka: Prof. Salt. If you don't see what you are looking for in that video, hit me up. I'm always happy to talk fishing. :) 832-588-7091
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

LTA wrote:Question on Lure Rigging? What should the leader length be? Can I use the Berkley 7 Strand wire (40 lbs.)? I’m planning on using the “Hay wire Twist” on the lure side and the firgure 8 on swivel, can anyone shed some light?
LTA some guys like to run a short 12" leader to reduce the chance to the leader getting kinked. I'd say a happy medium would be 15"-18" and up to 24" will all work. The longer leader gets your fishing line further away from the teeth. On the 7 strand yes you can use it. 40 lbs to me is a little light. You might be better off with 60 lb. But you can't use a haywire twist with the 7 strand (only use the haywire for wire). For swivel/lure connections use the figure 8. For hook connections use the snell.
LTA

Post by LTA »

Thanks for the info. What about a Fish Finder! My wife & son bought me a Helix 7 with SI, Di, GPS, is it better not to take out on my first trip in case I turtle? I’ve been Kayak fishing for 10 years plus, but never BtB.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Ok, trying for some frustrated fun. Will we get to launch at Bob Hall Pier due to COVID-19 or will we have to hike in to fish if we can? State parks closed and the fine nor jail terms not issued or broadcast anyway.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

LTA wrote:Thanks for the info. What about a Fish Finder! My wife & son bought me a Helix 7 with SI, Di, GPS, is it better not to take out on my first trip in case I turtle? I’ve been Kayak fishing for 10 years plus, but never BtB.
Your call. If you turtle and it stays submerged you could lose it. That said the GPS function sure is handy to have. If you hook into a fish that drags you half a mile one way or another, a storm rolls in, fog rolls in (etc. etc.) it's nice to be able to see where you've been and where which direction to go to get back.
LTA

Post by LTA »

LURES: I just received my first Bomber Wind-cheater the 6” model 1 7/8 oz Red / White, boy it’s big, just checking with you’ll if I ordered the right size? I’m not use to trolling this big of a lure, & never been BTB. I have several more coming along with some Rapala’s coming. Will try to send some pictures.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

The fish finder is not necessarily needed. I use mine for the purposes of seeing how fast I am going when trolling. You will not need the GPS part. Once you get to the rig, you can see Bob Hall Pier when looking toward land. Usually most will head to the pier. When you get closer, before the surf, look to your left and you will see where you parked.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

OOPs I picked-up yellow line for one reel today, will this be a problem? I usually use dark green. Planning on ~7-foot leader, should I exchange this line before spooking onto my reel?s
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Kalait wrote:OOPs I picked-up yellow line for one reel today, will this be a problem? I usually use dark green. Planning on ~7-foot leader, should I exchange this line before spooking onto my reel?s

I personally use either camo/dark green for my braid and aqua blue mono line for my top shot. I've seen all colors out there and those people are still catching fish so I would have to probably say no. Pelagic fish don't really care what it is. If it looks like dinner or anything they want to eat, the color isn't going to make a bit of difference. Fish such as mahi are more particular and then you have to be more specific.

If you are using a wire leader, such as Malin wire, 18" - 24" is enough for a leader.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I'm posting an update in the initial thread at the very top. Check out the update. All updates will continue just like the first one as the weeks go by until we have the outing.
SWFinatic

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JUNE 6, 2020 SATURDAY (((UPDATE)))*****

Post by SWFinatic »

Fingers crossed!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Got my 10 king fish leaders all made!
Got my 2 offshore rods/ reels.
Safety gear is all check already

--snip--- I was going to ask about the gaff then realized you linked to one from ACK and I have a gift certificate from the PACK tournament last year waiting to be used :D

Also, should we bother with anchors, or with rig hooks?

I also have my drift sock, are these of use? (I assume if I need to re-rig then throw the drift sock out to stop going off course so badly).

I do understand that less gear is better out there though. Less stuff to lose overboard.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Chubs wrote:Got my 10 king fish leaders all made!
Got my 2 offshore rods/ reels.
Safety gear is all check already

--snip--- I was going to ask about the gaff then realized you linked to one from ACK and I have a gift certificate from the PACK tournament last year waiting to be used :D

Also, should we bother with anchors, or with rig hooks?

I also have my drift sock, are these of use? (I assume if I need to re-rig then throw the drift sock out to stop going off course so badly).

I do understand that less gear is better out there though. Less stuff to lose overboard.
It looks like you have it all covered. I personally don't run with an anchor as I am in a peddle yak but since you are in a paddle yak, you may want to bring an anchor. I would suggest a rig anchor but there will be a lot of people out there so one rig and that many people could be kind of crowded. One thing you can do is make your regular anchor flexible to become a rig anchor. By disconnecting a caribeaner from the anchor, you can connect something that is compatible for a rig anchor to the main line so you are not carrying multiple lines for two thing. This will save you room and possible issues of getting tangled up with too much anchor line.

In regards to the drift sock, there are pros and cons to taking this. Once again, since you are in a paddle yak, the drift sock wouldn't hurt. Be careful though that when you have a fish on the line that you don't tangle up your line with the drift sock. Pull the sock to catch the fish then redeploy while de-hooking, taking pics, and/or putting fish in fish bag.

PS: Everyone, please see the opening of my thread as there is a new update. :)
MJ21

Post by MJ21 »

Please add my name to the list, Mike Jalomo.
Hobieholic

Post by Hobieholic »

I want to go if you think my 2019 Hobie Outback will make it. I have seen some videos that suggest it is not suited for Offshore . I have the upgraded seal in the front hatch. What do you think?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

MJ21 wrote:Please add my name to the list, Mike Jalomo.
Got ya added. :)

Hobieholic wrote:I want to go if you think my 2019 Hobie Outback will make it. I have seen some videos that suggest it is not suited for Offshore . I have the upgraded seal in the front hatch. What do you think?
It's no secret that the Hobie hatches are a leak point on most Hobie kayaks. By adding the additional seal to the inside of the front hatch, it will definitely help. You should be good to go. I have a 2015 Hobie Outback. I still take on water but it comes through the front hatch when I go out and back in through the surf. I simply bilge it out when I get back to shore. It's not enough for me to worry about but I always take a manual bilge pump with me just to be safe.

I got you added to the list as well. Welcome!
jeremy.fortenberry

Post by jeremy.fortenberry »

Count me in, newer kayaker and never been in the salt but I’m going to give it a go
SA_Stringer

Post by SA_Stringer »

Looking forward to the event on June 6. I will be there!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

jeremy.fortenberry wrote:Count me in, newer kayaker and never been in the salt but I’m going to give it a go
I got ya added, welcome! :)

SA_Stringer wrote:Looking forward to the event on June 6. I will be there!
Great, I'll see ya there. :)
goetzmann

Post by goetzmann »

Add me to the list please. Greg O. I will try to be there.

Thanks