Sea Isle, in the lights

mwatson71

Sea Isle, in the lights

Post by mwatson71 »

This report contains multiple parts and I am going to break it into segments so those not interested in certain portions can just skip to the sections(s) of interest.

By now, most of you reading this have read or watched impulse’s posts/Youtube videos of his lights in Sea Isle over the past few days. Well, it was too tempting for me. After reviewing the various county orders that would affect me (Harris, Galveston, potentially Brazoria depending on the route) and reading the excellent points made by fellow kayak fishermen, I loaded up the kayak and decided to hit the lights.

The Pre-Game
The solunar chart showed a feed between 2:47a and 4:47a. so my plan was to leave the house around midnight to get on the water around 2a. The solunar chart showed a feed between 2:47a and 4:47a. I loaded the kayak around 9:15p and thought I’d take a little nap before heading down. The kids still think it’s Spring Break and wouldn’t go to bed so my nap didn’t start until 11p and I slept until 1:15a. Too late? Did I miss the window? Would the drive be worth it? Only one way to find out. I jumped up, told the kid that was still awake to get his A$$ in bed, and ran out the door.

The Drive
I left around 1:30 and opted to take 610 near the Galleria to I-45 to 61st to Seawall and then to Sea Isle. I tell you this because from the time I left my house until I stopped at Buc-ee’s, I only saw four cars on the road. From 1:30 until about 2:15, along Loop 610 and I-45. 4 cars. It was almost post-Harvey apocalyptic. I fueled up at Buc-ee’s (where they had employees out sanitizing the gas pumps) and went inside for a headlamp because I couldn’t remember if I had mine. I was one of two non-employees in the store. Back on the road, I pass about three more cars (one of them a Jamaica Beach patrol car) before arriving at Sea Isle. It was pretty surreal.

The Good Part (FISHING)
As I am unloading the yak and my gear, an hour and a half later than I planned, I could hear the fish feeding on the surface of the water. I could smell the sweet smell of the water with that watermelon scent we all love. Ugh. It’s 3:30 already. PFD, 360 light, paddle, crate and rods. Good to go. I paddle out of the marina and make a couple of casts at the overhead lights by the dock. I see them feeding but not a bite. I head to the underwater lights in the canal heading to the bay. First cast hooks up with a little rat red. Another cast into the next underwater light hooks up with a 19.5” red. Oh boy, this is going to be fun. I start to paddle to my targeted location, three magical lights not far away. But there are fish boiling all around me. I keep casting as I paddle, almost wishing I had taken the Hobie instead of the T160. Almost every cast lands a fish. Undersized flounder, undersized red. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I am surprised by this actually because I was throwing my Vudu shad which is larger than the bait in the water.

When I get to the holy trinity of underwater lights, I can see they are just swarmed with fish. Bait balls being chased by game fish. My first cast misses my target. Second cast lands a 21” red. Yeah baby. Put it on the stringer around 4:10a. The fish disperse so I move out to let them regroup. I hit a few more light with a few more undersized fish. By now I have landed maybe 15 fish in 45 minutes. I hit the light at the house next to impulse’s and land a 16” flounder. As I am trying to decide whether to string it, it flips out of the net and lives to see another day. I move over to the next canal. More slashing under an overhead light. A little flip cast and my line starts stripping and I realize I forgot to tighten my drag after the last fish. Then I see the flounder. No doubt this one is getting strung if I can land it. Into the net it goes, all 18” of it. A few more casts yield nothing. Back to the three lights. I don’t see the numbers there were before in the lights, but I can hear the feeding in the dark. I make a blind cast into the darkness. Fish on – a 17” speck. I laugh to myself. What a freaking morning. I have made my slam. It is about 5:30. The wind is starting to pick up, I have had a ton of fun, so I decide to head back to the launch. When I come up to the lights in the main canal, I decide to make a last cast. Line stripping. On the other end, a thick 23” red. I paddle in, load up, and head for home. All fish caught on a lime green Vudu shad.

On the water a little over two hours, landed probably 20-25 fish, four on the stringer, and a smile on my face. Was it worth it? When can I go again.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Sea Isle, in the lights

Post by Ron Mc »

You go, Mr. Watson.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I am not surprised that the updates showing swarms of fish at sea isle, over the lights would finally get you motivated to get out there! Congrats on getting out there and on the great results.
Thanks for posting -
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Wow, what a great fishing report!
I tell you, driving in to work this morning is also surreal with almost no traffic. Strange times we are in right now. Thanks for the report and giving me hope that I can still get out and do what we love to do!
impulse

Post by impulse »

Gotcha... At least I think I did.

Thanks for the great fishing report.

Was that a 3" Vudu Shad?

Several takeaways...

1) The lights are great, but the fish are all over, as you found out.
2) I suspect Jamaica Beach and Isla Del Sol are popping as well as Sea Isle.

https://youtu.be/cl_DoHVTQFs
Attachments
Kayak in Light.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

who was that masked man?
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

My man Watson is a hell of a fisherman, but an even more talented writer. Way to go! Wish I would have joined you.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Michael is a fishing God! That is why I like fishing with you Watson. You know when to move, when to throw, and your patience is awesome. Love fishing with you and your boy! Well done and great report. Thank you for sharing! :clap:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

impulse wrote:Gotcha... At least I think I did.

Was that a 3" Vudu Shad?

Several takeaways...

I can't wait for a time lapse from you with a kayak or two fishing them. Look forward to it!
I liked the ducks or swans showing up to fish but kayakers would be better! LOL
Thanks for sharing these! Love to watch.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

impulse wrote:Gotcha... At least I think I did.

Was that a 3" Vudu Shad?

Several takeaways...

Yep, you got me. And right at 4:10a, too. That red dragged me right through the lights.

Yes, a 3" lime chartreuse Vudu shad. I think the glow Vudu shad or a glow tandem would have worked better for the trout outside of the lights. I may have to test that theory soon.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

shoffer wrote:My man Watson is a hell of a fisherman, but an even more talented writer. Way to go! Wish I would have joined you.
Thanks, Shoffer. Just say when. I haven't taken the yak off yet in the hopes of getting back out there. I may try to get out there tonight if you are interested. Even on a Friday night I bet there will be plenty of room for fishing. Hell, I never even made it to the other side of Sea Isle which I am sure had just as much action on the surface lights over there.
impulse

Post by impulse »

mwatson71 wrote:Thanks, Shoffer. Just say when. I haven't taken the yak off yet in the hopes of getting back out there. I may try to get out there tonight if you are interested. Even on a Friday night I bet there will be plenty of room for fishing. Hell, I never even made it to the other side of Sea Isle which I am sure had just as much action on the surface lights over there.
Last night, time lapse is still amazing... I'll update the YouTube when I can get it off the camera and uploaded.

Kickingback mentioned birds in the video, those are probably the pelicans that Sea Isle is famous for. They can really scare the poop out of you if you spook them after dark. Some of the herons and egrets, too. They make a gawd-awful noise, then the heavy sound of beating wings on the water.

Unfortunately, the time lapse takes a frame every 3 seconds (instead of a normal video that takes 25-30 frames per second). Great for seeing a whole night in a short video, but not so great for watching someone land a fish.

I pulled a 24" red out last night and a 22" out this morning. Both have been returned to the water for someone else to catch. Sounds like maybe tonight?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

swapping gmails with my buddy Lou since last weekend's trip (seems like an epoch), here was Susie's recipe for redfish
Seriously guys, that Redfish is frickin delicious. Susie dressed it in olive oil, garlic, Greek seasoning, lemon and dill. 450 in the oven, then to the stove top to reduce the liquid to a nice sauce. Wow. One of the best fish I have eaten.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Ron Mc wrote:swapping gmails with my buddy Lou since last weekend's trip (seems like an epoch), here was Susie's recipe for redfish
Seriously guys, that Redfish is frickin delicious. Susie dressed it in olive oil, garlic, Greek seasoning, lemon and dill. 450 in the oven, then to the stove top to reduce the liquid to a nice sauce. Wow. One of the best fish I have eaten.
Now I know what I am having for lunch.
impulse

Post by impulse »

As promised, just in time to plan a weekend of social distancing...

https://youtu.be/UHEZpkdk1ss
Attachments
Sea Isle Time Lapse 200327.jpg
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

The Vudu shad may be a greenback. At this point it is hard to tell. I have used THE SAME lure for the last five fishing trips and it has probably caught over 100 fish so it is a little faded and worn. If I could figure out how to post pictures from my laptop I would post it.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Looks like it may be a bit too windy to get the yaks out tonight. SSE at 15.
impulse

Post by impulse »

I'm not going to pretend I can predict what it's going to do later tonight. But right now, the wind is blowing straight down the canal from the beach end. It's fine for kayaking, and we've had a few kayakers leisurely paddling past today (no fishing guys- just paddling).

If you stay close to the Sea Isle (or Jamaica Beach or Isla del Sol) shore and don't get too far out into the bay, it should be fine.

But always be careful getting out into the bay too far. I've seen guys get into a bind when they exceeded their paddling energy by paddling with the wind on the way out. It's a gas, until you have to turn around and face a stiff wind on the way back to your car. And there's no place to land and look for help across the bay and ICW from us.