Buggs lures

Floundapounda122

Buggs lures

Post by Floundapounda122 »

I apologize for a lot of posts lately, but springtime is upon us and I’m eager to hit the water. I have searched topics on buggs lures a lot recently through tkf and I have a few questions. What is better, the curl tail redfish buggs, or the flats buggs? I know color always depends on the day but what are the best colors and how do I know which color to get because on the site it doesn’t say the color name next to the image. And is the click bait shrimp worth the hype?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Buggs lures

Post by Neumie »

I throw the Double Bunny Jig and Permital Bugg, mainly because they have smaller profiles. I use them for sightcasting and didn't want a bulky jig with a soft plastic on it; just a personal preference. These are for fishing around Rockport/Port Aransas/Corpus Christi.

If you select to color and jighead weight in the drop down menus on the right hand side it should change the picture of the lure to the corresponding color. You need to select both options (ie Natural in 1/8 oz)

Double Bunny Jig:
Natural (Tan/White)
PBT (Pink/Tan)
Green Ghost (Chartreuse/White)
Night Watch (Black)

Permital Bug:
Back Country (Green Body/White Claws/Orange Legs)
Blue Crab (Dark Green/Blue Legs)
Floundapounda122

Post by Floundapounda122 »

Thank you sir, also I kinda mentioned it above but when I read old reviews about the buggs lures a lot of people say they like the curly tailed jigs, but is that considered the new reddish jigs with the “crab like” soft plastic on it or is it the flats jig with the “swim bait like” soft plastic on it?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I have some of the Hot Heads for the smaller profile. Not familiar with their other models. You might give Heath over there a call. He's the one to talk to regarding any questions you have for Buggs products.

In my opinion color selection is overrated. Sure there's a difference between dark and light and there are times during a finicky bite one color may do better than another but for the most part a light brown or white color and a dark color are all you need. I catch the majority of my reds (when fishing with artificials) on a brown soft plastic curl tail with a chartreuse tail. The time of year doesn't matter that often.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Floundapounda122 wrote:Thank you sir, also I kinda mentioned it above but when I read old reviews about the buggs lures a lot of people say they like the curly tailed jigs, but is that considered the new reddish jigs with the “crab like” soft plastic on it or is it the flats jig with the “swim bait like” soft plastic on it?
The Curl Tail Redfish Jig and Beastie Bugg are probably the two most popular lures he makes. According to hi website, the Flat Bugg is a down-sized version of the Curl Tail. I guess if you're fishing dirtier/stained water more I'd probably lean towards the Curl Tail, if fishing clear to sandy water I'd lean towards the Flats Bugg.

I don't blind cast with my lures, they're pretty much for sightcasting to fish. I carry them for instances which need a more delicate presentation and I don't have my fly rod with me.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I know some people have had success blind casting with the Click Bait Shrimp. I want to get a few to try out in the marsh for sightcasting.