On the mend and looking forward to BTB

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

On the mend and looking forward to BTB

Post by Prof. Salt »

I injured my neck back in September and had to miss the second half of BTB last season. The injury had me and the doctors fooled, because it felt and presented like a shoulder injury. The MRI showed that the shoulder was perfectly healthy but that one disc in my neck was broken and in need of fusion. During the recovery/workup to surgery phase I passed the time by stalking reds in the flats with a fly rod, but I missed the offshore scene. Now that surgery to fuse the broken disc has been performed, I'm on the mend. Wednesday marked 2 weeks since the surgery and since all is going well this morning I was allowed to return to work four hours a day.

The bad news: it will be another 4-6 weeks before I can paddle again.
The good news: I should be strong and ready before the water is warm enough to host kings and their friends again. Looking forward to an active 2020 season!

Kirk B.

Re: On the mend and looking forward to BTB

Post by Kirk B. »

Good to see you're getting all fixed up. Looking forward to seeing many more adventures.

Kirk B.
reelmn

Post by reelmn »

Glad to see you have that operation behind you now and are getting ready for BTB, that's a good thing.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Ahh the joys of a neck brace, at least you don’t have it the heat of the summer! Glad to see you are on the comeback trail. I had my C6-7 fussed many years ago so do what they tell you and you will be fine. I know things have changed since I had mine done but I was told not to lift anything more than 10 pounds. A 12 pack of beer weighs more than that! :?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Yeah, I had c5-c6-c7 fused almost 13 years ago (during summer), and there is light at the end of the tunnel. This time has been much less painful and not much to complain about. I'm just not the best at waiting patiently at home while the redfish and white bass are out there wondering where I'm at. :D
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Welcome back. Sure miss your vids. How about reposting your top 3 vids? Would love to see some action as we wait on spring.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

So glad to hear it man! I want to wet a line with you this year! I am such a fanboy! lol
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Good to hear. I know it's tough to sit on the sidelines but sounds like the timing hopefully will work well with the BTB season.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

So glad to hear Glenn! God bless you for the recovery! I look forward to seeing you out there and some more classic Prof Salt videos on Youtube!!!
Way to go buddy but don't over do it. :clap:
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Looking forward to seeing you back on the water this summer!
Gallonegro

Post by Gallonegro »

Praying for a speedy recovery and can not wait to read all your future post and see all the YouTube videos coming our way!
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

I figured you'd be here on TKF as well, watched a few of your videos on youtube. I'm lurking and collection info for my first BTB out of Corpus. What I'm finding are that a lot of post, including sticky posts have outdated information and photos no longer resolving (tiny-pic...are they even around anymore?)

Bottom line, I'm wanting to go BTB in and around these rigs/structures and troll with the aid of my sail. I'll be bringing two yaks (PA14 and Revo 13 both rigged for sailing) and a fishing buddy (Michigan guy that is dying to hookup with a big fish). We unfortunately can only make it down there a couple of times a year living up north of Austin, so I'm collecting as much data and preparing before our trip.

We'll probably do a flats trip this spring and determine the best time to go for our first BTB trip.

Get well soon, would be fun meeting up with a few experienced yak trollers :)

-Roy
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The best part of the year to plan a trip is July - September. Winds calm down some and your chances of having a great weather window are best then. Those of us living right on the coast can jump when a small window opens, but if you are hours away your best shot is July 1 through the rest of summer.

If you run into me or any other kayak fishermen out there, we will share what's working that day but basically troll between structures and drift beside them to let baits run deeper. Kings don't require a fast moving bait and will clobber baits that come down to where they are hanging out (usually 20-30 feet down).
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

God to hear you are doing well Prof.

My son and I want to do our first BTB this year. Should we watch this string for more info?
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Get well soon!
The fish aren't going anywhere, and will be there when you are healed! :clap:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

John Hall wrote:My son and I want to do our first BTB this year. Should we watch this string for more info?
This is a good place to find others who are planning to head offshore, and if there is a post here about an upcoming trip it's a pretty safe bet that they would not mind others coming along.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

John Hall wrote:God to hear you are doing well Prof.

My son and I want to do our first BTB this year. Should we watch this string for more info?
Yes the BTB at Bob Hall Pier setup by Yakety-yak and Pack. There is a long post on it here in the forums for you to sign up.
If you want to go earlier, make a new post requesting any company to show "you and your family the ropes" doen in Corpus or anywhere close to Houston. Be specific and many will help. I'm out with no car so good luck.