Craziest fishing experience?

Crusader

Re: Craziest fishing experience?

Post by Crusader »

Here are few stories of mine:

1. stepped on alligator once while wading in 2 feet of water (instant brown pants :mrgreen: )

2. fishing in complete darkness, had a bite, decent fish; dragged it in over the grass, turned around to unhook it and put into cooler (took a while, couldn't see); stood up and turned back to water -- spooked decent-size alligator that was right behind me (he followed flapping fish onto the bank and was about 3 feet from me -- when I stood up, he got a better look at me against backdrop of the sky and got scared).

3. paddling in open water near some old stumps, looked back to see big ass rattlesnake trying to hitch a ride (getting into my kayak)

4. fishing alone at 3am in the creek full of alligators, padding somewhere; seeing alligator swimming on intercept course -- looks like he was blinded by my headlight, because he kept swimming until had to smack him on the head with my paddle -- at this point he got spooked and made some ruckus turning around and diving, sprayed me with some water

5. paddling to another spot, looks like my paddle spooked a decent-size alligator gar -- it jumped out of water behind me and hit me in the back near shoulder blade. I nearly fell out of kayak from surprise; had a small bruise where it hit me

6. enjoyed a show few times -- dolphins playing frisbee with a flounder

7. fishing chest deep surf -- dolphins were nearby, hooked a lady fish, one dolphin got really close (I could've touched him with the tip of my rod); he was making circles around me and one-eyeing me unhooking fish -- once I let it go, he chased it down and grabbed it

8. wading knee-deep near brushy bank, raised my head to meet eyes of a snake that was sunning in branches 2 feet away from my face

9. had to help a buddy who capsized in the middle of the lake in winter (wearing neoprene waders)

There were few other incidents, can't recall them...
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Lots of alligators there, Crusader. I can’t remember any close encounters with those while in a kayak. Seen a few.

Dolphins, I was wading West Matagorda bay in 2-3 feet of water and a dolphin swam by me close enough to touch. It was a little disconcerting seeing it head straight for me like it did, but no harm came of it. Had dolphins take bait off hooks offshore and eat throw back fish. Saw 4 go completely airborne in a vertical aspect, all in unison like it was a sea world show, but this was wild GOM dolphins. Seen them so shallow they have to swim sideways.

Sharks, once was wading a marsh lake off West Matagorda Bay. Had seen some redfish caught a couple, water was clear for most part. Something was big out in the middle of this 5 acre lake 18” deep at best. On closer inspection, I see it was a 6-7 shark. Surprising to see such a shark that shallow. Sharks are frequent companions when I wade the surf, why I walk in any fish I keep.

Various birds have caused issues. The worst are pelicans attacking topwaters. One dive bombed a skitterwalk out in Christmas bay and got it in its mouth before I could respond. Not fun was it doing battle with a Brown pelican in distress. Got a little paranoid fishing tops after the pelican encounter.

I had a Mississippi kite come out of the stratosphere one day and almost take my topwater off the surface, only a quick and massive jerk of the rod saved the lure. The raptor would then soar up hundreds of feet, but then periodically dive bomb the lure. Had to give up tops that day. Caught a belted kingfisher on the same topwater on a different day, couldn’t believe my eyes when that bird attacked the lure.

Who hasn’t paddled by a hidden tern rookery in the marsh and then suddenly be swarm by those birds? I’ve been shat upon, pecked at and otherwise harassed until I could get clear of the zone. The worst one ever was the big tern, Royal or Caspian, that dive bombed me about knocking my head from my shoulders. I had a stout leather hat on or otherwise I’m sure I’d still have a scar to this day. Never saw it coming, but I avoid those birds like the plague.

Have had a sounder of wild pigs swim by the kayak more than once. Had a ten point buck dive in the water close by. Snakes, yes, but only one confirmed rattler.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

karstopo wrote:Lots of alligators there, Crusader. I can’t remember any close encounters with those while in a kayak. Seen a few.
Texana (and tributaries)... :) Never had a close encounter with a gator in saltwater
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

WOW! My buddy and I on our 3 hour drive to the coast started a list of “100 ways you could die kayak fishing”. I have to say some of these never made the list! It reminded me of that State Farm ( or whoever) insurance commercial “we’ve seen a thing or two” :lol:
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ok, I guess I'll drop this here since the thread has unintentionally been resurrected.

I don't think I shared this one yet. At my 1st night fishing trip ever back in 2018, I went with PACK to the Lake Como night fishing event. Was a lot of fun but something I didn't expect happened while I was out there.

So I was fishing some lights and enjoying watching the underwater lights and seeing fish swimming all around. Kept getting dinks at the light but I'd set my anchor so was just waiting for something better to come around. Well something did...

I saw movement out of the edges of vision at the house I was parked in front of so looked up. A full nude lady was prancing around oblivious that innocent peeping Thomas's were out there fishing! I turned my eyes to look away, but you know... a man's gotta check to make sure she's become aware of the situation and clothed herself... I look back and she must have thought a creepy perv with a headlight shining at her was trying to mind her business - she got out a green laser strobe light and started blasting me with it, then realized she could just close the curtain hahaha.

Now I know why you guys like to go night fishing! :oops:
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Chubs wrote:Ok, I guess I'll drop this here since the thread has unintentionally been resurrected.

I don't think I shared this one yet. At my 1st night fishing trip ever back in 2018, I went with PACK to the Lake Como night fishing event. Was a lot of fun but something I didn't expect happened while I was out there.

So I was fishing some lights and enjoying watching the underwater lights and seeing fish swimming all around. Kept getting dinks at the light but I'd set my anchor so was just waiting for something better to come around. Well something did...

I saw movement out of the edges of vision at the house I was parked in front of so looked up. A full nude lady was prancing around oblivious that innocent peeping Thomas's were out there fishing! I turned my eyes to look away, but you know... a man's gotta check to make sure she's become aware of the situation and clothed herself... I look back and she must have thought a creepy perv with a headlight shining at her was trying to mind her business - she got out a green laser strobe light and started blasting me with it, then realized she could just close the curtain hahaha.

Now I know why you guys like to go night fishing! :oops:
GPS coordinates please! :D
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Chubs wrote: A full nude lady was prancing around...
This reminded me another "incident": me and my buddy launched at Lake Livingstone SP and headed towards Pine Island with aim of finding some white bass. We had no idea wtf we were doing back then, so we were looking around for clues. Right by the island we saw a bunch of boats (swimmers or probably fishing the sand bar, we thought) and then there was another boat sitting alone quite far away from the crowd.

"That guy definitely knows what he is doing and probably catching them left and right", we thought... So, we paddled in that direction to check him out. As we were nearing closer we could see some movement, looked like someone was messing around the engine area with some rhythmical head movements (pumping something? his engine broke?). Maybe he needs help? So we paddled directly to him. Well, we were about 50 yards away when we realized that guy was, in fact, a lady. And that mass she was messing around was, actually, a guy. A naked guy, laying on his back... And pumping was, you know... She was polishing smth. :roll:

Anyway, we quickly changed our course towards island, discussing how that lucky dude is definitely a pro and likely already figured out everything that can be about fishing. :mrgreen: We messed around the island, didn't catch sh.t and then sudden summer storm popped up -- we decided to paddle back asap, which (in hindsight) was probably a mistake. Some sort of derecho caught up with us mid-way, we had to paddle in 2' waves with wind blowing very hard into our backs (under some angle). I had trolling motor, but waves were constantly flooding and swamping my kayak, going over the back and hitting every hatch -- at the end my kayak was 50% full of water. (gator hatch wasn't very tight). Anyway, lets say that we were worried... :-| But, ultimately everything was fine-- we got back to the boat ramp, quite exhausted.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I’ve seen naked people while out fishing. Bryan beach gets some nudies sometimes, but unfortunately, they’ve all been men. Let’s just say I’m moving on down the beach when I see one of those naturists. Now if the fish were busting water right where the nudies are, I might have to reconsider.

Saw two women and a man out in the buff out in a boat near SLP one day, but they weren’t doing anything beyond working on their all over tan. There might have been other times I’ve been fishing and seen nude people. I’m mostly desensitized to stuff like that now and wouldn’t necessarily remember every occurrence unless something notable was going on.
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

Kinda a fishing incident, I suppose. I've always wanted the opportunity to start a story with "...speaking of nude," so here goes, but, this nude wasn't a sun bathing beauty. It was me. Fat, pale, and unwieldy.

When you first start doing multi day fish camps down PINS, you learn a lot of things. You learn about ice, sand, water, and personal hygiene. We discovered that after a day or two of sweat, sand, and fish cleaning the associated smells that may develop disappear..? Stop being noticed..? Start smelling good..? It is unclear. We found that the human body can become cocooned by a protective grease layer that is very useful. It protects from sun, mosquitos, and even can ward off a would be intruder or bandit. I believe that must be where I went wrong.

For you see, we are a pair of very refined gentlemen. We are accustomed to the finer things in life. Properness and propriety. Fanciness and ambiance. We decided that we could no longer tolerate the troglodyte nature of the PINS protective grease layer. We began to bring a camp shower down the beach. In its prime, the solar camp shower had evolved into a true spa-like experience. Kurt even built a bamboo standing platform to keep our cultured feet from the abrasive sand while we showered. We had a water tank with a pump that would rain down gallons of precious fresh water from a shower head that was mounted to a custom shower stand connected to the truck rack. Sometimes showering at home in my tiled bathroom shower, I would close my eyes and pretend I was showering down PINS in the far fancier camp shower.

As anyone who has spent time down PINS knows, the beach giveth and the beach taketh away. Little did we know that our act of attempting to bring this immensely high level of refinement to the beach would offend the very Spirit of the beach, and force her mighty hand down upon us to smite. But also to teach. On that fateful day Kurt showered first. When he finished he relaxed in his throne-like lawn chair where the water meets the sand. I gingerly tip toed to the privacy of the Beach Shower. Privacy is a spectrum, and 40 miles down PINS showering on the back side of the truck near the dunes is privacy enough, usually. I uncloaked my bulbous body and stepped into the glory of the shower. As warm precious fresh water rained upon my encrusted skin, I could not help but laugh in derision at the so called hardships of PINS camping. We had tamed this wild beast. We camped in luxury inside the maw of this ferocious animal. Tamed and beaten into submission, PINS had been defeated by only a pair of civilized gentlemen.

That's when I heard the car. Not a truck nor jeep. A car. An old sedan, somehow miles and miles down the beach, and headed back to civilization. I began to question my privacy. "They will pass and it will be fine," I told myself. But they did not. When they got to our camp they stopped. Then the passenger got out. Kurt lazily turned his head and peered at these intruders. Then the unthinkable. The traveler began to come straight to me. He walked toward the dunes. Why?!? He obviously was a pervert. He wanted to see my naked body. He rounded the protective shield of the truck and began taking pictures. Only feet away from me, he pretended to take pictures of the dunes, while in truth he was satisfying some twisted desire, some deep perversion that could only be satiated by naked fishermen. At first I tried to rinse faster, but as the shame mounted higher and higher I could not continue. The camera phone clicked away and I collapsed in tears and desperation. "Make him go away!" Satisfied finally and smiling, the fetishist traipsed back towards his old sedan. I hurriedly dressed and attempted to regain some composure. But the villain would not leave. He opened his car door and retrieved a bottle of liquor, I suppose to celebrate his accomplishment. The driver of the vehicle, ever silent but accommodating, cranked up gleeful dance music, and yes, the peeper began to dance wildly. Brandishing his bottle like a trophy, his gyrating body reminded me of the disgraces I had just suffered, and his unhindered jubilation, while disturbing, gave me pause as I realized my sins. I had thought to tame PINS.
Last edited by DumpTruck on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Craziest fishing experience?

DumpTruck wrote:Kinda a fishing incident, I suppose. I've always wanted the opportunity to start a story with "...speaking of nude,". So here goes, but, this nude wasn't a sun bathing beauty. It was me. Fat, pale, and unwieldy.

When you first start doing multi day fish camps down PINS, you learn a lot of things. You learn about ice, sand, water, and personal hygiene. We discovered that after a day or two of sweat, sand, and fish cleaning the associated smells that may develop disappear..? Stop being noticed..? Start smelling good..? It is unclear. We found that the human body can become cocooned by a protective grease layer that is very useful. It protects from sun, mosquitos, and even can ward off a would be intruder or bandit. I believe that must be where I went wrong.

For you see, we are a pair of very refined gentlemen. We are accustomed to the finer things in life. Properness and propriety. Fanciness and ambiance. We decided that we could no longer tolerate the troglodyte-esque nature of the PINS protective grease layer. We began to bring a camp shower down the beach. In its prime, the solar camp shower had evolved into a true spa-like experience. Kurt even built a bamboo standing platform to keep our cultured feet from the abrasive sand while we showered. We had a water tank with a pump that would rain down gallons of precious fresh water from a shower head that was mounted to a custom shower stand connected to the truck rack. Sometimes showering at home in my tiled bathroom shower, I would close my eyes and pretend I was showering down PINS in the far fancier camp shower.

As anyone who has spent time down PINS knows, the beach giveth and the beach taketh away. Little did we know that our act of attempting to bring this immensely high level of refinement to the beach would offend the very Spirit of the beach, and force her mighty hand down upon us to smite. But also to teach. On that fateful day Kurt showered first. When he finished he relaxed in his throne-like lawn chair where the water meets the sand. I gingerly tip toed to the privacy of the Beach Shower. Privacy is a spectrum, and 40 miles down PINS showering on the back side of the truck near the dunes is privacy enough, usually. I uncloaked my bulbous body and stepped into the glory of the shower. As warm precious fresh water rained upon my encrusted skin, I could not help but laugh in derision at the so called hardships of PINS camping. We had tamed this wild beast. We camped in luxury inside the maw of this ferocious animal. Tamed and beaten into submission, PINS had been defeated by only a pair of civilized gentlemen.

That's when I heard the car. Not a truck nor jeep. A car. An old sedan, somehow miles and miles down the beach, and headed back to civilization. I began to question my privacy. "They will pass and it will be fine," I told myself. But they did not. When they got to our camp they stopped. Then the passenger got out. Kurt lazily turned his head and peered at these intruders. Then the unthinkable. The traveler began to come straight to me. He walked toward the dunes. Why?!? He obviously was a pervert. He wanted to see my naked body. He rounded the protective shield of the truck and began taking pictures. Only feet away from me, he pretended to take pictures of the dunes, while in truth he was satisfying some twisted desire, some deep perversion that could only be satiated by naked fishermen. At first I tried to rinse faster, but as the shame mounted higher and higher I could not continue. The camera phone clicked away and I collapsed in tears and desperation. "Make him go away!" Satisfied finally and smiling, the fetishist traipsed back towards his old sedan. I hurriedly dressed and attempted to regain some composure. But the villain would not leave. He opened his car door and retrieved a bottle of liquor, I suppose to celebrate his accomplishment. The driver of the vehicle, ever silent but accommodating, cranked up gleeful dance music, and yes, the peeper began to dance wildly. Brandishing his bottle like a trophy, his gyrating body reminded me of the disgraces I had just suffered, and his unhindered jubilation, while disturbing, gave me pause as I realized my sins. I had thought to tame PINS.
And the other side of the story.....

I was once driving my sedan down the beach at PINS when I got out to take pictures of some beautiful flowers in the dunes that caught my eye but instead I saw..........

...only a bottle of liquor, some dancing and chanting to the gods could bring me back from what I saw! Lol

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

My Vietnam veteran friend, Tank Commander Cooper, and I used to drive down the High Island Beach looking for fish signs. One day we drove real far, past the McFadden property and gates.
Then we saw the "NUDE BEACH" sign and about a dozen nudies (half men, half women) parading around like it was picnic time on the sand.

Sadly they were all middle-aged and butt-ugly, but super friendly. We got out and tried to talk without staring below their faces, ha ha. Two of the females had humongous puppies, and there were no dogs around.

We were told to disrobe or leave, so we left. But I remember we killed the trout in the surf, trying hard to forget those disturbing mental images.

I wonder if the Nudist Colony survived Hurricanes Ike and Katrina? Might have to drive down and see if any younger ladies have joined.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Dandydon wrote:My Vietnam veteran friend, Tank Commander Cooper, and I used to drive down the High Island Beach looking for fish signs. One day we drove real far, past the McFadden property and gates.
Then we saw the "NUDE BEACH" sign and about a dozen nudies (half men, half women) parading around like it was picnic time on the sand.

Sadly they were all middle-aged and butt-ugly, but super friendly. We got out and tried to talk without staring below their faces, ha ha. Two of the females had humongous puppies, and there were no dogs around.

We were told to disrobe or leave, so we left. But I remember we killed the trout in the surf, trying hard to forget those disturbing mental images.

Guess they were not armed.

I wonder if the Nudist Colony survived Hurricanes Ike and Katrina? Might have to drive down and see if any younger ladies have joined.

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Dandydon wrote:

Wait a minute, this was a public beach? How can they make any demands on you to disrobe or leave? It seems like it should be the other way around where you are in the right to demand they put on some clothes or vacate the public area.

But, heck if the fish were there and the only way to hang around and fish for them was to disrobe, the clothes are coming off.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

karstopo wrote: But, heck if the fish were there and the only way to hang around and fish for them was to disrobe, the clothes are coming off.
Well I used to think it would be cool to fish along side you Karst. Now I'm not so sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:
impulse

Post by impulse »

karstopo wrote:
Dandydon wrote:

Wait a minute, this was a public beach? How can they make any demands on you to disrobe or leave? It seems like it should be the other way around where you are in the right to demand they put on some clothes or vacate the public area.

But, heck if the fish were there and the only way to hang around and fish for them was to disrobe, the clothes are coming off.

And get lynched?
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

impulse wrote:
karstopo wrote:
Dandydon wrote:

And get lynched?
No. Disrobed.

:mrgreen:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

It seems kind of funny contemplating getting attacked by naked people. Are nudists allowed to be violent?
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

The stories are getting better as this thread moves along....Tall Tales and embellishments. All I can say is:
The first liar doesn't have a chance.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

My nude beach story is God's truth and I pray often for Him to remove those ugly nude images from my head...

And even a Kung Fu killer like me is humbled by 12 territorial naked people all yelling at once.

impulse

Post by impulse »

Dandydon wrote:My nude beach story is God's truth and I pray often for Him to remove those ugly nude images from my head...

And even a Kung Fu killer like me is humbled by 12 territorial naked people all yelling at once.
My experience dates back to the '80's beyond the 4WD only sign on N. Padre. Ran across a group in the buff, who had parts exposed to the sun that hadn't been properly seasoned before hand. Thank God they were drunk and didn't feel the sunburn pain...yet. They were going to be a bunch of hurting units that night when they tried to sleep. Lobsters don't get much redder.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Funny how the beach brings out the nudes while in the mountains I find 'em in the hot tubs! Gotta plan ahead and pack a complete wardrobe.

impulse

Post by impulse »

Dandydon wrote:Funny how the beach brings out the nudes while in the mountains I find 'em in the hot tubs! Gotta plan ahead and pack a complete wardrobe.

Around the same time in the '80s in Corpus, I watched out my apartment window as 6 guys in the apartment complex hot tub put away almost 2 cases of beer in an afternoon and never once got out to pee. I haven't touched a public hot tub since then.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Dandydon wrote:Funny how the beach brings out the nudes while in the mountains I find 'em in the hot tubs! Gotta plan ahead and pack a complete wardrobe.

The naked in the hot tub must be a thing in the mountains, sometimes right there in plain view. I saw 3 young couples in the buff enjoying the hot tub while walking down the main drag in Telluride. I’ve never been to Japan, but the Japanese are apparently into hot baths and public bathing sans clothing. I have been to the Japanese Spa 10,000 Waves in Santa Fe, NM and there they have the communal tubs that no one wears anything. They also have private party tubs, which is more my speed.

I’ve done my share of skinny dipping or whatever, but I’m thinking exposed sensitive areas and sharp hooks and teeth aren’t a good combination. Let’s all keep our clothes on, gents.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

But don't forget we fire-breathing lawyers love swimming naked with sharks, our marine brothers... Shoffer just won a big legal case by obliterating a key witness on cross examination. He smelled blood in the water, fire in the sky.

Let's all get naked and go fishing. We'll bring plenty of business cards! What happened to all the women on this site? Maybe that explains the trouble. Maybe we look gay to the outside world. Hello.

Is anybody out there catching any fish? I got skunked yesterday.Image