Lightning map

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Lightning map

Post by karstopo »

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#

Was thinking about fishing before the front, but this lightning is a little too close for comfort.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Lightning map

Post by Ron Mc »

a bamboo rod would slightly reduce your ground effect. :mrgreen:
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

karstopo wrote:https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#

Was thinking about fishing before the front, but this lightning is a little too close for comfort.
Good app to use on your cell phone is "MY Radar"
Can see the lightning live on the radar and can set custom notifications of weather events. Anything from a slight rain to major storms.
I manage a small company that does kayak events and we use it to know when to close our venues. Oh, and you can also load it on computer.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

OQ - I have downloaded the MyRadar app - a nice display.

Q? - I do not see any lightning display with the radar, nor do I see an option to turn on the display. Perhaps there just is no lightning? I have gone to the heavier storms further east where there would likely be associated lightning, but see none. Is there a selection somewhere that I am not finding?
Thanks
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

YakRunabout wrote:OQ - I have downloaded the MyRadar app - a nice display.

Q? - I do not see any lightning display with the radar, nor do I see an option to turn on the display. Perhaps there just is no lightning? I have gone to the heavier storms further east where there would likely be associated lightning, but see none. Is there a selection somewhere that I am not finding?
Thanks
On the main screen, down at the bottom, third icon from the left, that brings up type of map.
"Classic, Hi Def" Then you will see t settings icon beside those. Open those setting and you should see, after scrolling down the button to turn lightning on and off.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

OQ - Thanks - got the lightning - like a bunch of flash bulbs going off!
Karstopo was right to stay in - lots of flash bulbs about to go off around Lake Jackson!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I made the right call, not a day to be in a bay or marsh.

1 1/2 of rain here and still coming down. Lightning settling down now, but all the places I thought about fishing got peppered with lightning strikes according to the map.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

I have been out in the bays a few times when the weather turned for the worse and a few times leading tours on the bayou here in Houston. The strong winds and heavy rain don't bother me to much but hearing thunder makes my hair stand up! :shock:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Yea, unfortunately, living around the Texas coast for much of my life I’ve known of several people killed or debilitated by lightning while out hunting or fishing in the marsh and bays. It’s a particularly bad place to be when a thunderstorm is nearby. Not a lot of hide outs in a marsh wilderness and kayaks are terrible at out running a storm.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Talked to a guy today that was out yesterday fishing when his boat broke down (low oil pressure). Said it was pretty bad being stranded in the lightning, not fun at all. Even boats aren’t immune to storms.