Looking for a new bump board

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Looking for a new bump board

Post by Drifting Yak »

I have a couple of bump boards and am not satisfied with them. One is a cheap gray looking plastic model that I got from Academy. It telescopes out and works ok but the numbers are hard to see. The other one is a folding model that is red with white letting. The numbers show up well but it's made out of aluminum and I don't like it clunking around in the yak.

So what are you folks using? Am thinking a one piece model, with highly visible numbers, that is made out of plastic & floats, and that might be around 30". But am open to suggestions.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Looking for a new bump board

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Look up TrailChasr on you tube or on here.. He's got a very user friendly board design
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Drifting Yak wrote:So what are you folks using?
I "borrowed" my wife's nail polish and put few marks on my rods: 10, 14, 15, 20, 25 and 30 inches. Covers both salt- and freshwater fishing. One less thing to drag around (or forget at home).

You can drop 14" mark (you only need it for flounder) and maybe add 5" (if you take crabs). If fish is too close to mark -- just let it go, don't be greedy.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Look up TrailChasr on you tube or on here.. He's got a very user friendly board design
Thanks Tobin,
Here's a video about it. (the video is about my setup, but the link starts at the bump board part)

https://youtu.be/d47ThUpQqPY?t=2m41s
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Thanks folks - Good ideas! Might just have to steal from Mr. TrailChaser! :D
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I've always been a fan of the Check It Stik. To help deaden the noise I sprayed the back side of it with rubber spray.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

More choices - Thanks!
Springfling

Post by Springfling »

I invested in a floatable product from Home Depot. A wooden yard stick. I cut it off at 28” and used a Sharpie marker to highlight/annotate length markers for various species. Has served me a good couple of years. As numbers/marks fade I just break out the Sharpie again. It doesn’t have the nose “bump” piece, but functions just fine. I just leave it laying on floor deck of my kayak.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Crusader wrote:I "borrowed" my wife's nail polish and put few marks on my rods: 10, 14, 15, 20, 25 and 30 inches. Covers both salt- and freshwater fishing. One less thing to drag around (or forget at home).
I do the same so I agree (the only difference being that I have rods with the marks already on them), many people like something in their lap for pics. Also, the nose "bump" at the zero mark makes for more accurate measures if you are fishing in a tournament.

Nice idea Trailchaser
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I use the "rod ruler" that is a ruler printed on flexible vinyl with adhesive on the back and length on the front. It attaches to my rod and lasts years. It also comes with labels for min/max fish lengths. $2.99 at most fishing gear stores. I do not know how long it lasts but my oldest is about ten years old and still doing the job.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Make your own like I did out of a piece of plastic fence and a stick on ruler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Yaklash wrote:
Crusader wrote:I "borrowed" my wife's nail polish and put few marks on my rods: 10, 14, 15, 20, 25 and 30 inches. Covers both salt- and freshwater fishing. One less thing to drag around (or forget at home).
I do the same so I agree (the only difference being that I have rods with the marks already on them)
I am too cheap for such rods :D
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I bought a floating and folding measuring board yesterday at a boat show in Flour Bluff. Designed and made by an individual that needed something that would meet his needs. Its called Yack Pro Gear. I have no affiliation, just fits my needs as it is a lot easier to store in my Hobie, it floats, and will not corrode.
It doubles as a fish cleaning board. He makes other designs to 60"s, just that this one fit my needs.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Cool. Thanks!
WC53

Post by WC53 »

I took that 1/4 x 6" pvc or vinyl trim boad from homedepot and laid it on some galvanized duct (maybe 7") heat the boad with a heatgun annd form it around the duct for a semi circld so it is strong. Then really heat one end and slowly bend the 90. Then apply tournament measurements like those from 321 fish etc.

A 10' boa d is about $7.00 so you can get a few out of it and they float
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Tombo wrote:I bought a floating and folding measuring board yesterday at a boat show in Flour Bluff. Designed and made by an individual that needed something that would meet his needs. Its called Yack Pro Gear. I have no affiliation, just fits my needs as it is a lot easier to store in my Hobie, it floats, and will not corrode.
It doubles as a fish cleaning board. He makes other designs to 60"s, just that this one fit my needs.
What size board did you get Tombo? Ball park on how much? Am down in Corpus visiting the in-laws this week and I think Roy's has them. Will take a look.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

When I needed one I marked the lengths along the bottom of the gunwale from the front of my cockpit. Easy to use, not in the way, and one less piece of gear to carry.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Drifting Yak wrote:
Tombo wrote:I bought a floating and folding measuring board yesterday at a boat show in Flour Bluff. Designed and made by an individual that needed something that would meet his needs. Its called Yack Pro Gear. I have no affiliation, just fits my needs as it is a lot easier to store in my Hobie, it floats, and will not corrode.
What size board did you get Tombo? Ball park on how much? Am down in Corpus visiting the in-laws this week and I think Roy's has them. Will take a look.
30" board for $40. He is part of Roy's pro staff.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Thanks!
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

f40bfed6-520b-49a9-bebb-35b8d02ae689-131610.jpg
f40bfed6-520b-49a9-bebb-35b8d02ae689-131610.jpg (42.71 KiB) Viewed 8770 times
I made this one. Folds up when not using. Cost me about $5 already had the check it stick.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

That's what I like about TKF - Great people with great solutions! Current plan is to check a few things out and then make it happen. Then the next challenge will be to catch a few fish!
Thanks everyone!
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

It’s been a couple of years since this thread and I am looking for some ideas on a bump board, measuring stick and the like. Not for tournament use, just my own personal consumption. I have the marks on rods, not the most accurate or easy to use with wildly flapping founders, tried the marks on the kayak, not durable or easy to use, had a nice little folding ruler that was OK until I dropped it overboard and didn’t know it. So now what? These are some good ideas, I was just wondering if anybody has come up with anything else in the last two years. I’d rather not spend $30-45 if I didn’t have to.
I’m thinking of maybe getting some stock aluminum, bending the end at 90 deg and putting a cheapie ruler sticker on it. :?:
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

JW - I was in the same market a couple months ago and ended up with one of those rod ruler stickers, but I put it on my paddle shaft. The paddle is generally across my lap and so is handy for measuring. It just so happens that the drip stop is at 10", so with shorter fish I just begin at the drip stop so I do not have to start the fish at the paddle blade. I am happy with this so far, eliminates something else to carry!
Attachments
20200117_164118.jpg
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

JW I use these. Fish Ruler Measuring Stickers (2 Pack) - Transparent Adhesive Tape Measures Conform to Fishing Rods Ideal for Saltwater & Freshwater Poles, Boats, Kayaks (2 Waterproof 36" Decals) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0778S7JLB/re ... iEbYNF42X4

Have them in all my rods. They're a little pricey so I reached out to the them and bought a 10 pack for $30. Now I don't have to haul around a long board that gets in the way. They adhere very well! For offshore I carry a cheap soft ruler that I bought in the fabric section at Walmart for 3 bucks.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

SWFinatic wrote:JW I use these. Fish Ruler Measuring Stickers (2 Pack) - Transparent Adhesive Tape Measures Conform to Fishing Rods Ideal for Saltwater & Freshwater Poles, Boats, Kayaks (2 Waterproof 36" Decals) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0778S7JLB/re ... iEbYNF42X4

Have them in all my rods. They're a little pricey so I reached out to the them and bought a 10 pack for $30. Now I don't have to haul around a long board that gets in the way. They adhere very well! For offshore I carry a cheap soft ruler that I bought in the fabric section at Walmart for 3 bucks.
Thanks SW!
I wasn’t sure about measuring accurately while holding the fish and my rod, but then I thought most times I will have the fish, my rod and something else! And if I am wading I will always have something with me.
Plus! I got mine for free! Well kind of, I have an Amazon Prime credit card that I use for everything and get credits so I applied some of those and with free next day shipping I figured I couldn’t loose! :D