Thoughts on on-the-water eats –

TrailChaser

Re: Thoughts on on-the-water eats –

Post by TrailChaser »

I just keep a couple of cans of vienna sausages in my crate. I don't like the way they taste, but I like that they're always there.(this time of year is the worst for eating them since the liquid becomes a weird jelly when it's chilly) The cans are aluminum so I don't have to worry about them rusting. They are a great protein kick. Simple and easy to deal with.
Truth is, about 90% of the time I don't eat while fishing. I stay so focused on finding the next redfish that hunger rarely becomes an issue.

I do make it a point to stay hydrated. I carry gatorade and water, and try to drink one of each about every hour.

Vienna sausage tip of the day.. Slam the can against your hand pretty hard a a couple of times to break the sausages apart before you open them up.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

TrailChaser wrote:I just keep a couple of cans of vienna sausages in my crate. I don't like the way they taste....
I ate way too many of those growing up fishing with my dad. I think it was college a buddy from Myrtle Beach introduced me to Beach Cliff tins, and a decade after that, my guide buddy Tim confirmed it on the water. They used to be cheap in HEB, like 25-cents, but now they're tough to find, and I mail-order 2 dozen tins at a time to last me a couple of fishing years. The sardines are easy to find, but the pickled herring steaks are very different from sardines, firm meat, and None of that sickly-sweet taste of mushy sardines.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

TrailChaser wrote:I just keep a couple of cans of vienna sausages in my crate. I don't like the way they taste, but I like that they're always there.(this time of year is the worst for eating them since the liquid becomes a weird jelly when it's chilly) The cans are aluminum so I don't have to worry about them rusting. They are a great protein kick. Simple and easy to deal with.
Truth is, about 90% of the time I don't eat while fishing. I stay so focused on finding the next redfish that hunger rarely becomes an issue.

I do make it a point to stay hydrated. I carry gatorade and water, and try to drink one of each about every hour.

Vienna sausage tip of the day.. Slam the can against your hand pretty hard a a couple of times to break the sausages apart before you open them up.
And if the lures aren't working it makes great bait. While I've never caught any saltwater fish with em I have caught channel cats with em.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

one of my buddy's scuba diving stories on the Cayman wall dive was feeding Vienna sausages to giant beaked angelfish.
When they ran out, the angelfish wanted more and tried going after their fingers. 90 or 100' down, this is a good time not to panic.
Texan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Texan »

Y'all got all healthy and stuff...

Beer, trail mix or jerky, and MRE's if it was a grind fixing to happen. I didn't have to eat much on the water but sunscreen was the most important thing to have other than the kayak and rod to fish with...
impulse

Post by impulse »

Can of ranch style beans, a bag of Fritos and a plastic fork. Instant Frito pie with all your important food groups... Protein, fat, salt...

Make sure you get a can with a pop-top so you don't need a can opener. You can mix it all up in the Frito bag. To be honest, I usually buy the generic chili flavored beans that do come in a pop top can.

Sure, it's better hot and with some meat, cheese and sour cream. But in the Zombie apocalypse, I'm good for a couple of weeks on just those 2 ingredients and some bottled water.
booo52

Post by booo52 »

SWFinatic wrote:When we have more than a few people we typically just go get tacos. I'll buy 3 and eat on them throughout the day. Bean, bacon and potato for me so there's less to spoil in the summer. Most of the time it's just a couple of granola bars, water and a Gatorade Zero.

I do keep a granola bar in my dry bag along with all my other safety stuff just in case.

Sounds delicious!))
My favourite recipe – Baked potato https://greenann.com/recipe/baked-potato-wedges/ with ranch sauce https://greenann.com/recipe/vegan-ranch-dressing/ Tasty!!!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

booo52 wrote:Sounds delicious!))
My favourite recipe – Baked potato https://greenann.com/recipe/baked-potato-wedges/ with ranch sauce https://greenann.com/recipe/vegan-ranch-dressing/ Tasty!!!
Something's fishy with this account.