Need help finding guided trip for two kids

fishchase

Need help finding guided trip for two kids

Post by fishchase »

My cousin is a single mom. She wants to get her boys (ages 13 & 14) a guided fishing trip for Christmas and she asked me for suggestions. She is thinking of sometime in January. I'm not sure what to tell her. I normally dont fish during winter. I know some big trout can be caught this time of year but its my understating that the bite is slow. That may not be ideal for two impatient adolescents on their first guided trip. Should I try to convince her to wait until it warms up in the spring or is wintertime fishing by still productive enough to be fun for two kids? Thanks.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Need help finding guided trip for two kids

Post by Ron Mc »

you left out the one piece of information to begin - where you live.

I would do a TPWD trout stocking - the sooner you get there the better - even fun to watch TPWD pour them in - kind of the ultimate winter kid fish - took my younger daughter with her older sister and grandad to Blanco SP to catch trout when she was 3 - chummed corn to invite the fish to help her catch them. But little jigs and spinners also work great.

Make sure you have a towel and a change of clothes, blanket - part of normal kid stuff in the truck - kids most always find their way in.

Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

kayak guided or boat guide
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

If you're looking to hire a guide with a boat, I'd do Baffin Bay then. While the current spec record was caught on a fly rod in LLM in summer, the several previous records were hunted and set in winter in Baffin.
fishchase

Post by fishchase »

That's a good suggestion. They live in Boerne. It would be for a boat trip, not kayak.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

IF the boys are already diehard big trout hard core fish all day without a bite just to catch 1 fish and have fished since they were 5.. then take them to baffin, but if they're just getting into fishing and this is a new experience... get a guide that is good with kids and also good at catching a lot of fish no matter the size.

I'd highly suggest the later for most boys their age, winter fishing is already tough and if you're not on a personal best quest then a winter trip could break the boys with absolute boredom.

tell her to contact Capt Steve Gremillion at gowithgrem.com he's good dude and will show the boys some action for sure, great with kids.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

TroutSupport.com wrote:IF the boys are already diehard big trout hard core fish all day without a bite just to catch 1 fish and have fished since they were 5.. then take them to baffin, but if they're just getting into fishing and this is a new experience... get a guide that is good with kids and also good at catching a lot of fish no matter the size.

I'd highly suggest the later for most boys their age, winter fishing is already tough and if you're not on a personal best quest then a winter trip could break the boys with absolute boredom.

tell her to contact Capt Steve Gremillion at gowithgrem.com he's good dude and will show the boys some action for sure, great with kids.
thanks for weighing-in Tobin, excellent suggestion
Q-man
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Formerly Houston and Rockport, TX now with a 4wt fly rod on an Appalachian trout stream

Post by Q-man »

If she is set on January I'd tried to set up a boat trip with Slowride. He's really good at fishing the drains from the flats into deeper water under colder conditions.

The downside is a front coming through at that time of years makes miserable conditions and can make it unsafe to go out.

Otherwise, suggest a different time of year for saltwater fishing.