Any try before you buy events Houston, Galveston, Dallas areas?

atcNick

Any try before you buy events Houston, Galveston, Dallas areas?

Post by atcNick »

I’d really like to try a kayak out to make sure I’m happy before I buy.... I’ve heard of some stores having events that you can come out and try out several... anything like that happening in Houston Galveston or Dallas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Any try before you buy events Houston, Galveston, Dallas areas?

Post by Ron Mc »

you missed ACK fall demo days last month, they won't run another until April.

Your best bet is searching reviews to narrow down your list, contact individual dealers and see if they can set up demos for you.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

There's a Jackson dealer in Rockwall that I believe will let you test kayaks. They have rental fleets so likely a decent selection to choose from. You can also narrow down your list then go to a dealer and ask to test those kayaks. ACK will do this if you're ready to buy.
impulse

Post by impulse »

I like the idea of "try before you buy", but I'm skeptical of a short paddle before deciding on a new kayak. That short paddle won't show you how you'll feel after a couple of hours of paddling (with wind and current), casting, and generally sitting in one position for a looooong time. You also won't get the experience of hefting the 'yak around to load it and move it from place to place.

I'd also point out that attributes that may make you nervous for the first 10 minutes become very dear to you when paddling a long haul- after you get a feel for the boat. Like a narrow kayak with iffy primary stability becomes a speed demon, much appreciated on a long day. On the flipside, a battleship that feels great for a 15 minute test ride becomes a handicap after an hour or so of trying to keep up with your buddies.

IMO, if you can find a place that has rentals or loaners, that's a far sight better than tossing the kayak into a calm, local pond and paddling around for a short test.

So I have never made a secret of my suggestion to buy a used 'yak for an extended test before ponying up the $$$ for a new one. If you then decide you need a new one, keep the used one for a spare (handy when friends come to visit), or sell it on for about what you paid for it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you will also not likely find a dealer who will try to sell you a narrow, fast, low-primary-stability kayak, because they're pushing stand up stability and tall seating at the expense of everything else.
Read some threads on the forum like this one:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &p=2284329
Many of the older boats discussed on this thread can be found for a few hundred $ or less.
also thread questions about new boats in New to Kayaking, New to Fishing and Saltwater, especially if saltwater is your goal.

A stable tall sit-up boat may be just the thing if you goal is short paddles in little water.
Some boats excel in the river, some for sit-up high bass-type fishing, some for traveling distance in wind - they're usually different qualities that make different boats excel at one or the other.

that narrow kayak thing, IMO averts the need for a tall seat, because it's narrow enough you can fish sitting up with your legs straddling the hull, which gives you really good stability - you only need your feet in one place inside the boat to travel.
quigly7777

Post by quigly7777 »

Unfortunately you missed the ACK events this fall. I went to two in a row, paddled many kayaks before making my choice. There was no time limit on how long you stayed out. After the first I had narrowed down to a couple and spent a lot of time on both. I did things like rock side to side, pretend to fish, etc. I would think it would be difficult to find a company that will let you "borrow". The other option is a lot of friends, but even then, time may be limited.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

atcNick wrote:I’d really like to try a kayak out to make sure I’m happy before I buy.... I’ve heard of some stores having events that you can come out and try out several... anything like that happening in Houston Galveston or Dallas?

Looks like ACK in Spring rescheduled their demo day to Nov 3. in Conroe from their original date due to rain/flooding conditions.

It's not on their website, but it's announced on Facebook: Click
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Neumie wrote:[
Looks like ACK in Spring rescheduled their demo day to Nov 3. in Conroe from their original date due to rain/flooding conditions.

Josh, might want to send him that in a pm in case he gets an e-mail notification for it
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:
Neumie wrote:[

Josh, might want to send him that in a pm in case he gets an e-mail notification for it
Good idea.
Fatmanonabike

Post by Fatmanonabike »

Nothing soon but AUSTIN canoe and kayak does one annually, I believe. OTOH Fishing Tackle Unlimited has a substantial rental fleet of kayaks.

Fatmanonabike

Post by Fatmanonabike »

Fishing tackle Unlimited in Houston.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Houston Boat Show is in January I think...