new PB flatty

Crusader

new PB flatty

Post by Crusader »

I rarely brag, but this time can't help it... :D
23", ~8lbs (estimate, had no scales) Got her last Saturday in Bastrop on a reef. Nearly had a heart attack when I saw it.
20191005_130022.jpg
SteveRetrieve

Re: new PB flatty

Post by SteveRetrieve »

You gonna stuff her and cook it whole or fillet it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Huge flounder! Nice going.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

SteveRetrieve wrote:You gonna stuff her and cook it whole or fillet it?
IMG_4973.jpg
already stuffed and eaten with family and friends :-)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you can get 3 nice fillets from those. 8)
but stuffed right is good, too
Wag

Post by Wag »

Whoa...must've been a hell of a fight!
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Not really... I saw it, yanked him towards me, scooped it with the net and then it went bananas. It was very quick -- in excitement I did the right thing. If it went crazy before being netted -- I would have likely lost it, hook didn't penetrate the cheek at all.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Crusader: A couple years back, I was chunking a Spook, Jr. in to a slough about 18" deep, and a 23-1/2" flounder hit it, like a missle! I had no idea what it was, thought it might be a ray, because of the flat body, but it was my PB flattie. On a topwater! I have since caught a 23" flounder on my sail line, using finger mullet. You just never know. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I had one that big at Little Cut in April that came unhooked after a good 10 minutes, but had already made up for it years before with 24" on a fly rod in Panther Lake by Cedar Bayou.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Nice fish, Congrats!!
It is great when you can advance your PB's!
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I measure my fish honestly with it's mouth closed (and no tape which gives you better number due to curvature). So, this means fish in reality was at least 26" and no less than 12 pounds. :wink:
TexasJim wrote:Crusader: A couple years back, I was chunking a Spook, Jr. in to a slough about 18" deep, and a 23-1/2" flounder hit it, like a missle! I had no idea what it was, thought it might be a ray, because of the flat body, but it was my PB flattie. On a topwater! I have since caught a 23" flounder on my sail line, using finger mullet. You just never know. TexasJim
No surprises here -- flounder sometimes goes REALLY far into marshes and tolerates very shallow water. I stepped on many in few inches of water while stalking reds.

What is a "sail line"?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:clap: very nice PB! The girls are staging right now with the slightly cooler air cooling the water. I got to get out and try to get my PB. You can brag all you want as I like to read great fishing trips! Thanks for sharing!
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Crusader: A Sail Line is a saltwater trotline, with a floating sail hooked to one end. I have 700' of 400-pound mono on a reel. I stand on shore, with the wind behind your back, let out some line, attach a leader with a live mullet, with a "trotline clip". Do that a dozen times, to about 300 feet, then let out maybe 300 more feet. Let it "soak" about 30 minutes, reel it in, and take off the fish, usually reds, but sometimes trout and the occasional flounder. Rarely a trash fish. There's rules and regs in the TPWD annual book. You have to have a license add-on($5). My line is on a Home Depot extension cord reel, but many guys have a motor driven reel, with a small 12 v battery. Mine cost me about $50 bucks, total. Occasionally, you'll see one for sale on Craigslist. If you Google Sail Line Fishing, there's a How To post.
Our wind in the Coastal Bend is normally SE, so Copano Bay shore and Port Bay can produce fish, when the wind is too heavy to kayak fish. Seven bucks for 12 live mullet, and almost always one or more keeper fish. TexasJim
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Huh... Nice
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Very nice flounder Crusader - Congrats! Seems like the flounder bite has been very good the past few months so perhaps we are in for a great fall run!
TX All Water Fishing

Post by TX All Water Fishing »

Awesome! Congrats!!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Nice work Crusader.. I caught a 26 a couple years ago.. they are fun. Way to go!