Buying a Kayak

ken.stracener

Buying a Kayak

Post by ken.stracener »

Not new to them, just want to get a different one. What is hives mind about the Pelican "the Catch 100" good, bad?
I've outgrown my old OK Frenzy,,, too much weight put on. I found one I like for $535 plus tax. I will be using it mostly for fresh water, but do go to the coast a bit.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Buying a Kayak

Post by Ron Mc »

10' boats are great in the river, because they turn so well and so quickly.

This same quality makes them a total pain in coast wind.
If you've ever sailed a boat trimmed to more mainsail than jib, when you let go of the tiller, it turns straight into the wind.
This is exactly what happens with any kayak where your body sticks up behind the center of the boat (keel) length.
It may not sound like a problem, but if you're going anywhere but straight upwind, you're constantly fighting with steering, and downwind, every time you stop paddling , the boat swaps ends.

We made a Redfish 10 into a decent and usable coast boat by engineering a skeg, which has the effect of lengthening the keel those two extra feet.
This boat will continue gliding straight downwind when you're not paddling, but it was a $120 project to complete.
ken.stracener

Post by ken.stracener »

LOL, I know all about short kayaks,, I have a 9 ft Frenzy. I also wouldn't be opposed to installing a skeg. Anything else that would stop the sale,, I will be using this on the lake more than the coast
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it's the same thing on Boerne City Lake, which is a great workout and proving ground, because it's the first thing high in the hill country, and always has coast wind - there's nothing between it and San Juan, PR

Except for the seat and foot pegs, you're basically buying the same boat - guess I don't get that part - i'd be looking to extend my range
ken.stracener

Post by ken.stracener »

It's called being over 70 and not able to lift the heaver kayak, 58 lbs limit plus also called being on fixed income, LOL
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I'm way past 70, paddle a Perception Pescador 12 Sport, 61 pounds, doesn't need a rudder or skeg. The seats need a pad to get your rear out of the water, but you can find a used Pescador for about $350. One of the best bang-for-the-buck kayaks ever. TexasJim
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

here's Jim in that 12' Pescador, sitting on a fishy spot
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
impulse

Post by impulse »

I've been toying with the idea of installing one of these on one of my 'yaks to see how it works keeping a straight line. I realize that the base is a soft PVC plastic, designed more for inflatables, so it's definitely an experiment. (They do make some with a hard plastic base, and I may choose one of them if it can fit the contour of the bottom). Also, it would obviously limit my shallow water capability by about 8" or so, but I'd be using it at the beach as opposed to the bay side. The good news is that the blade is removable for those other days.

Anyone tried one on a hard kayak? They work great on my inflatable SUP and kayaks, but the beauty of the written language is that I can learn from other people's experience.

https://www.amazon.com/Kayak-Tracking-M ... B00X26NAB0
Attachments
skeg.jpg
skeg.jpg (2.49 KiB) Viewed 13433 times
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The skeg I used on the Redfish10 was also made for inflatable boats
https://www.advancedelements.com/
Worked out really well on the Redfish - I built a bolt-on transom to match the skeg mount.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 3&t=176920

Impulse, 7 years ago, if I had found something like you found, would have definitely tried it.
I looked at every possible skeg addition and considered how i might be able to mount it on the Redfish.

I searched skeg options for a year before finding he AE4002 skeg. Since then, I've made the retractable skeg work better and slicker.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ken.stracener wrote:Not new to them, just want to get a different one. What is hives mind about the Pelican "the Catch 100" good, bad?
I've outgrown my old OK Frenzy,,, too much weight put on. I found one I like for $535 plus tax. I will be using it mostly for fresh water, but do go to the coast a bit.
I spoke to guy this weekend who fishes from one. The positives were its light weight, cost, and features. However, the negatives he said were it's difficult to paddle into the wind and because the nose of the hull was blunt it just pushes through the chop. Can't recall if he mentioned anything regarding the tracking. He was on his way to pick up an Ozark Trail Pro Angler 12 (Sun Dolphin Boss 12 SS) after he left our event. He's wanting something which handles the wind better than the Catch 100. He's in is mid to late 30's around 250 lbs to give you a comparison.

I would recommend getting a kayak at least 12 feet in length for bay fishing. It'll track and handle choppy water better in then wind over a 10 foot kayak.

I would look at the Magellan Outdoors Origin 12, Pelican Icon 120XR, or the Perception Pescador 12.0. The Magellan kayak has been around since 2003 and was the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 from 2003-2008. Then it became the Perception Sport Pescador 120 from 2009 - 2014, then Perception Pescador 12.0 from 2015 - 2016. The hull was licensed by Magellan (Academy as the Origin 12) and West Marine (called the Pompano). So the hull has been around a long, long time and is a proven design.

Pescadors show up on the used market often for $250-$350, so if you're not in a hurry I keep an eye out on the used market.
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

I appreciate all the recommends,, but like I said, weight limit is limiting factor,, cost is also a factor. I just had a total reverse shoulder replacement, so it will be a LONG time before I can lift anything heavy, if ever.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

before kayaks porked into bass boats and 20-somethings at kayak shops told us over 30" wide was a good thing because we wanted to stand to fish and sit in an upright padded chair, 50 lbs was the norm on 14' kayaks. The speed and glide of these older style kayaks is a joy.

It seems like keeping your 9' boat and finding a good used 12' or 14' to extend your range would be the way to go.
However, if what you want is the easy chair, you may be going the right way.
But there are still ways to handle heavier boats without injuring yourself.

Even my 76-lb 16' tarpon is not tough to single-hand with forethought.
If you have a pickup, a bed extender lets you lift and swing half the boat at a time, and lift only 3' at a time.
A big-wheeled dolly lets you move it a long way by yourself.
Here's my buddy rolling his 100-lb Revo to launch.
If I was sliding that boat off my bed extender, I could put those wheels into the skupper holes, and keep sliding without ever lifting the boat - until I had to lift half the boat to take the wheels out. Conversely, to put it away, could roll it up to my bed extender and slide it right on, finally dropping the wheels when I lifted the last half of the boat onto the bed extender.
At my garage, I back up and slide my 16' Tarpon directly onto a pair of sawhorses.
Next to it, btw, is my used 14' boat, a 39-lb kevlar Kestrel that cost me $950 - this narrow fast boat is not for everyone because what you gain in speed, glide, and being totally wind-proof, you lose in primary (sitting still) stability. It's one of those choices you have to decide you want.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Ken S wrote:I appreciate all the recommends,, but like I said, weight limit is limiting factor,, cost is also a factor. I just had a total reverse shoulder replacement, so it will be a LONG time before I can lift anything heavy, if ever.
One more reason to go with a 2nd hand boat...

It's great that you can admit up front that kayaking may not be in the cards for you. Lots of guys get so enamored with the concept that they take a huge financial hit on their $5,000 worth of 'yak and accessories when their reality doesn't match their expectation.

For some, it comes down to physical ability to move the boat around and paddle (or pedal) for hours. For others, it's the prospect of storing a 16' long, expensive and delicate log in an already crowded garage- or a 2nd floor apartment. Still others find that they'd need to upsize their automobile choice because hauling a 'yak around on a Miata just doesn't work out- regardless of the YouTubes showing how it can be done. And finally, there are guys who have every duck in a row and still don't get the enjoyment they expected.

All you have to do is look at the many ads for almost-new high end kayaks for sale to see that it's not for everyone. Sure, some of the sellers are upgrading. But a lot of them are selling of top of the line stuff, with the claim that it's only been on the water a few times in the 5 years they've owned it. That's a lot of $$$ and a lot of storage space for just a few trips a year.

BTW, I second someone's recommendation of the 12' Pescador as a basic, inexpensive, and relatively lightweight kayak with great abilities. That's my backup to my T160, and sometimes I prefer to take the 12' Pescador Sport and let my friends take the T160. (Another thing I learned- kayaking with friends is a lot more fun, and not all of them bring their own- so 2 'yaks is better than 1)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I think that was Everyone's recommendation to find a 12' Pescador.
A good kayak is always better than a bad kayak, but it also sounds like he may be looking for a better chair.

Something else I like about narrow kayaks, you can fish with your legs straddling the boat, which lets you sit up.
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

One thing I noticed about the Catch 100 is that it's a 2 piece hull,, with a sharp edge that would peel my skin like a potato peeler. Is the Pescadore 1 piece or 2? Is it narrower? Can you stand up in it? 12 ft is out of the question,, have to haul in the back of a truck. Just looked at the bed extenders,, opens up the 12 ft, Plus I can make one for under $30
Last edited by Ken S on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

here's my buddy hauling 12', 13.5' and 14' kayaks on his roof.
The Yakima rollers are really helpful for getting them up there, and the longer the boat, the easier to get there.
For heavy boats like the 100-lb Malibu, staged lifts are how you get there. Lift the front end to a prop (small step ladder), slide the boat up, get the front end on the rollers and the back end on the prop, then roll it all the way on.
No, you can't stand in a Pescador, unless maybe you're Neumie, and he probably couldn't do this (15' Search) without drift sock deployed.
This is a 29"-wide boat.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Looked at bed extenders,, opens up the 12 ft market. Plus I can make one for under $30. Thanks all, you've been a big help.
Now looking at the Pescador Pro 12.0, should fit my needs
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

we all think you'll be delighted with that choice.
Should give you good wind performance and plenty of stability.
Still not quite that narrow boat I would go for, but then I've had to chase Neumie for 7 miles x 2 days, here paddling into 18 kt wind
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Ken I've paddled the Pescador Pro 12 and it's a nice fishing platform. Standing is doable with a little practice. It's a little wider at 32.5" but still paddles pretty well. Definitely a solid choice in my book.
Attachments
2.JPG
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Is $550 a good price for the pescador 120?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

sounds like it, since they're asking $679 retail (Canadian dollar conversion)
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Around here, you can only find them @ $878.00 new. Anyone have a bed extender, cheep.LOL
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

That's a great price if it's a pro. You can find them for less if not. The big difference between the Pescador and the Pescador pro is the elevated seat.

I have a bed extender I made so I can put my kayaks on top of my bed that works well but I bought one from Harbor Freight so I can haul just one kayak in the bed of my truck (it was too hot to weld one up) and it's worked fine for hauling kayaks. For $60 it's cheap enough.

https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed ... 69650.html
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

it is the Pro. I will probable make mine, but my wielder was borrowed,, now in Dallas