New shark regulations Sep 1

stoli

New shark regulations Sep 1

Post by stoli »

Friendly reminder for all the shark fisherman in Texas state waters starting Sep 1

Requiring the use of non-offset, non-stainless steel circle hooks when fishing for sharks in state waters, except when fishing with artificial lures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SWFinatic

Re: New shark regulations Sep 1

Post by SWFinatic »

I'm assuming this applies to anyone who catches a shark whether fishing for them or not? When offshore I'm using black nickel circle hooks anyway.
stoli

Post by stoli »

I’m not sure how they can write me a ticket if I’m fishing for bull reds with cut mullet and using a stainless circle hook.
You can not fish for great white sharks but people caught them while fishing for others sharks. So if I’m fishing for bull reds with a stainless circle hook cut mullet and catch a shark on accident how can I stop that from happening. Now let’s say I’m rigged up with a stainless circle hook stingray under a ballon now that’s gonna be hard to defend you are not “shark fishing”. I already bought me some black nickel circle hooks so I’m not worried I’m just stating my opinion.
Apparently Texas did this to match the federal regulations.
One study I actually read talked about how a corroding steel hook was more toxic than the stainless steel hook. Image
https://eyecatcherlures.com/Article/IndexId/2

stoli

Post by stoli »

One other question is how can a game warden tell the difference between a carbon steel hook with a tin coating and an actual stainless steel hook?

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

stoli wrote:One other question is how can a game warden tell the difference between a carbon steel hook with a tin coating and an actual stainless steel hook?

Maybe warden's will need to start carrying magnets lol.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

stoli wrote:One other question is how can a game warden tell the difference between a carbon steel hook with a tin coating and an actual stainless steel hook?

that's easy, a magnet - nickel stainless steel is nonmagnetic
stoli

Post by stoli »

I checked my stainless steel hooks last night they are magnetic.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

chromium stainless is magnetic, nickel stainless is nonmagnetic, 316 stainless can be just slightly magnetic from a higher delta ferrite content. Even highly drawn nickel stainless can be slightly magnetic, but not the same as steel.
TX PE No. 75665
The best thing about stainless hooks is you can bring them home without rusting your lure boxes - still wise to give it all your hooks a bath when you get home. Even chromium stainless will rust from salt, but much slower than plated steel. When ferric chloride oxidizes to red rust, it releases hydrochloric acid, so there's no stopping salt rust once it gets going.
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Good ole Eagle Claw circle sea hooks for me.. Cheap too!!
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

dang, I use mustad 10/0 demon circle hooks. I really donr want to switch. I hope they are legal.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Killerbee wrote:dang, I use mustad 10/0 demon circle hooks. I really donr want to switch. I hope they are legal.
those are black nickel finish steel - they're legal

Mustad C71S is their stainless circle hook, and is not legal for shark fishing
bones72

Post by bones72 »

Most wardens do carry magnets at least during duck season. The one time I've been checked by a warden in Texas was after duck hunting and loading up to head home. He asked for one of my shells put a magnet to it and sent me on my way.
BeachAggie

Post by BeachAggie »

Sounds like they'er trying to make it so shark hooks rust out... except have they ever seen how long it takes for even the worst grade hook to rust? Might happen after a few months lol. I'd be happier if they made us use non-barbed hooks. I think it would be way easier for a shark to shake a hook than to wait for it to rust out. Glad they are making an effort though!
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

BeachAggie wrote:Sounds like they'er trying to make it so shark hooks rust out... except have they ever seen how long it takes for even the worst grade hook to rust? Might happen after a few months lol. I'd be happier if they made us use non-barbed hooks. I think it would be way easier for a shark to shake a hook than to wait for it to rust out. Glad they are making an effort though!
Why do they need to "make us"? I just mash my barbs in if I don't want them.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

It’s the same person who wrote the rules for the Guadalupe stating you can’t fish for trout with bait. So I guess if you are fishing for sunfish etc witba worm you are supposed to tell the trout to leave it alone! .
Again, wouldn’t it be simpler just to state “artificial only” in this section?
Just don’t fish where there are sharks! :D
BeachAggie

Post by BeachAggie »

I like individual liberty as much as anyone and agree that this law doesn't need to exist. I mash my barbs when I shark fish from the yak. Makes releasing them way easier. Just wish more thought went into regs is all. If they're going to do it, they should do it well.
stoli

Post by stoli »

BeachAggie wrote:
I like individual liberty as much as anyone and agree that this law doesn't need to exist. I mash my barbs when I shark fish from the yak. Makes releasing them way easier. Just wish more thought went into regs is all. If they're going to do it, they should do it well.
Yep I learned this years ago ... Even my bull red leaders I have removed barbs ... barbless circle hooks work just fine and releasing is so much easierImage

Kalait

Post by Kalait »

stoli wrote:
BeachAggie wrote:
Yep I learned this years ago ... Even my bull red leaders I have removed barbs ... barbless circle hooks work just fine and releasing is so much easierImage

Would removing the barb work on fresh water fish as well? Has anyone tried this.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Kalait wrote:...
Would removing the barb work on fresh water fish as well? Has anyone tried this.
first thing I do when I'm about to tie a fly is smash the barb on the hook - if nothing else, it keeps it from getting caught in your landing net, but also your clothes, your finger, etc.

As far as getting political about the new regulation, politics is the entire purpose, to make the State reg match the Federal reg.
CFR wrote:(a) Non-stainless steel circle hooks. Non-stainless steel circle hooks are required when fishing with natural baits, except that other non-stainless steel hook types may be used when commercial fishing for yellowtail snapper with natural baits in an area south of a line extending due west from 25...
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?S ... 12.622_130
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

I get using circle hooks. Huge difference for c&r. Don't understand the stainless steel ban. IMO, hooks don't rust out of a shark's mouth, they fester out. Same as any other splinter we or sharks get. Plus, in the shark world, hooks hanging from your mouth makes you cool.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Thanks Ron