Spinning reel help

wade-a-minuate

Spinning reel help

Post by wade-a-minuate »

Looking for a couple budget spinning reels for marsh fishing.Anybody tried the shimano sieana in salt water?I know they say fresh water but the specs say it’s saltwater rated.
Fishtolive

Re: Spinning reel help

Post by Fishtolive »

Have 3 of the 4000’s as part of the light tackle arsenal on saltwater fishing and they never failed.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

The Okuma Epixor is a very solid budget reel.

https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Tackle-E ... 0737&psc=1
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I have "downgraded" from the Shimano Ci4 to the Sahara model. In my case, the more bearings the more its in the repair shop.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Have used Michell Avocet RZ (AVRZ-2000) for several years now for inshore. Caught plenty of fish including upper slot reds without issue. Rinse them off with fresh water after each use and break them down once a year for a cleaning. Cost is around $30.00. A lot of bang for the buck. http://www.mitchellfishing.com/mitchell ... 47887.html

And if you're looking to spend a little more then take a look at Lew's Mach Crush 2000 & 3000 reels. Have several of these and they perform well. Also know first hand that Lew's has great customer service. https://www.lews.com/spinning/machcrush
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

I have a sienna that I’ve used exclusively in salt. It’s tried to seize up on me a few times but I’ll just put it away for the day and give it a good bath when I get home. Still works solid.

An argument can be made, however, that if you spend $30 on a reel that only lasts 1-2 seasons it’s a bigger waste of money than spending $80 on a few that will last 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Canny

Post by Canny »

I’ve got a Shimano Sienna that I have used as well as a Sahara both have done well. I will say that I’ve tried a couple Lews spinning reels and they hated the salt. Even after good cleaning afterwards they didn’t function well.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Major Lew's fan here, but never their spinning reels - owned an older one - the whole reel flexed, didn't wind true, terrible drag, probably different now - and switched to Penn.

My current inshore spinning reel for $95 is an amazing buy - Tica Libra bought from the distributor on Amazon.
I realize you guys are talking 1/3 that amount, except when you get to Lew's.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

I've been using cabelas salt strikers exclusively for 10 plus years now and have only had one fail and it was a larger surf model. The 30's and 40's have been great and never an issue. Granted, I only fish salt 2 or 3 trips a year but it's for 4 or 5 days at a time when I do. I also rinse and clean when I get home from a trip. Oh, and the one that failed, cabelas replaced it free, no questions asked. I usually buy them when on sale for about 40 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I've used Shimano reels for years. Like most spinning reels, Shimano doesn't put the best bearings in them. Yet, my Shimano's last and work flawlessly for years. My 'secret' is that after each fishing trip, I remove the two side bearings, clean them thoroughly in gasoline, and use a very light reel grease upon replacing them back into the reel.

I have found that my Penn reels, while not as smooth as Shimano's, are pretty much bullet proof. I take them on three day kayak camping trips where a more rugged reel serves the purpose.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

SteveRetrieve wrote:
An argument can be made, however, that if you spend $30 on a reel that only lasts 1-2 seasons it’s a bigger waste of money than spending $80 on a few that will last 10.

I hear ya and sorry I didn't mean to imply that the Avocets last 1 or 2 seasons. I have 4 of these and am working on my 5th season with them. Also, I use them on every outing (average 30 or so trips a year).
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you should always fish with what you're happy with.
Took me 4 years to fish through my first Mitchell 300 - I still have the reel and it kind of works, but jetty smacks made the gears sound like a freight train.
Sometime after that bought baitcasters and the Lew's spinning reel, but didn't take me long to replace the latter with Penn.
My 35-y-o Penns still fish, but have to admit my Tica Libra is smoother and designed to cast farther.
I still loan my 4200SS and 4400SS to friends, and one friend liked it enough to hunt down his own 4400SS on ebay.

I'm sure if I had a Van Staal I would like it, but probably happy it's a bug I haven't caught.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wade-a-minuate

Post by wade-a-minuate »

Thanks for the info ,I bought 2 of the sieana 4000's yesterday.For $30 apiecw I was just looking for something the kids and friends could use a few times a year.Glad to hear they hold up,I clean all my gear after every trip so I dont think it will be a problem.Im a big shimano fan,been fishing my bantam curados for years without any issues other than maintenance.
GotOne

Post by GotOne »

I clean reels so have seen the guts of dozens of brands/models. I agree that the Okuma Epixor is a great choice
as are the older Shimanos.
A spinning reel I just came across that I am impressed with is the KastKing brand available off Amazon. The drag is super strong and sealed. The frame is aluminum which is a bit heavier than carbon fiber but quite stiff which is good for keeping everything aligned. The bearings are numerous and of decent quality. Everlast type bail closure system. Overall, its a good reel and the price of about $48 for the 3000 (which BTW is more like a 2500 size) makes this reel worth buying.
Cory.Ogle1

Post by Cory.Ogle1 »

I've been using the Kast king sharky 3's for over a year now, zero complaints. still very smooth with no maintenance.
And at the $45-60 price, its hard to beat!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:I've been using cabelas salt strikers exclusively for 10 plus years now and have only had one fail and it was a larger surf model. The 30's and 40's have been great and never an issue. Granted, I only fish salt 2 or 3 trips a year but it's for 4 or 5 days at a time when I do. I also rinse and clean when I get home from a trip. Oh, and the one that failed, cabelas replaced it free, no questions asked. I usually buy them when on sale for about 40 bucks.
yeah I was very impressed with the salt strikers... I wish they made one smaller model. I sold off my two salt strikers and got a diawa ballistic.. not a cheap real but totally sweet. I like the mentions above about Mitchel and theres another Okuma as well.. the Trio in the 30 ($45) isn't a bad little reel and component wise it's spec'd for saltwater. I'm a huge lews fan but haven't spent enough time with their new spinners to tell ya one from the other. Until my Ballistic breaks I probably won't be testing any soon.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

wade-a-minuate wrote:Anybody tried the shimano sieana in salt water?I know they say fresh water but the specs say it’s saltwater rated.
I use Shimano Sienna 2500 Fe -- good reel for a price. Caught few bull reds on it too. Also, it can handle 2 average-size kings before drag goes out :)

Without cleaning it (and assuming no dunking) it lives for 2-3 seasons. (With exception of 3 very expensive reels) no reel (saltwater or not) can survive dunking into saltwater -- they all need to be taken apart and cleaned or they will seize.
Squidward

Post by Squidward »

I’ve heard good things about the Kastking reels.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

I have falling love with all of the Abu Garcia "Orra Inshore" reels on TFO traveler’s spinning rod.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

For his father's day gift to him, my buddy just bought an IRT 400 SPG
Image He's overdue, was still fishing a Penn 4400SS from the 90s.
He bought matching combo rods in two different lengths, and got a reasonably good deal on the spendy reel with it.
Probably going to baptize it at the coast this weekend.
Salty Bum wrote:I have falling love with all of the Abu Garcia "Orra Inshore" reels on TFO traveler’s spinning rod.
It seems the Cabela's Salt Striker rods use the same TFO blanks.
I found the 3-pc 7' MH casting rod on closeout, snagged for $50, and have been very happy with it.
thomas.ondrias

Re: RE: Re: Spinning reel help

Post by thomas.ondrias »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:I've been using cabelas salt strikers exclusively for 10 plus years now and have only had one fail and it was a larger surf model. The 30's and 40's have been great and never an issue. Granted, I only fish salt 2 or 3 trips a year but it's for 4 or 5 days at a time when I do. I also rinse and clean when I get home from a trip. Oh, and the one that failed, cabelas replaced it free, no questions asked. I usually buy them when on sale for about 40 bucks.

I can't agree more. The Salt Strikers are great and if/when they fail from the saltwater abusing them, you can bring it back and get a new one. They have a lifetime warranty through Cabela's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
thomas.ondrias

Re: RE: Re: Spinning reel help

Post by thomas.ondrias »

I can't agree more. The Salt Strikers are great and if/when they fail from the saltwater abusing them, you can bring it back and get a new one. They have a lifetime warranty through Cabela's.

JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

My old Cabelas Sterling Pro-5 3000 I think has finally bit it. (Lost 3 nice fish Thursday do to the drag sticking) So does anyone have anything to add to the above? Anything change since then or anything new? Kastkings are looking pretty good. I’ve always been enamored with Penn but never owned one. So ???
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Spinning reel help

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

thomas.ondrias wrote:

Well I hate to bring the bad news but BP put the kabash on the Cabelas lifetime warranty. If you have reciept, they will refund purchase price or exchange for same item. If no reciept, they will only exchange if they still stock it.....for now. Since BP took over they discontinued the saltstriker reels so no exchange, only refund, and in the form of store credit but only with reciept. This is a sad day for me. I own a bunch of them.

JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Yeah, in my searches I saw that all Cabelas is now Bass Pro. :( Nothing like it used to be.
I just ordered a Daiwa BG 3000 for $89.95, I read some stellar reviews including one that totally took it apart. Pretty impressive for the money. Now I just gotta find out for myself!