Fishing Mid-March for springbreak

Kalait

Fishing Mid-March for springbreak

Post by Kalait »

We are starting to plan a trip to the Rockport area during spring break. I should have most if not all of my offshore equipment by then, any suggestions for fishing would be welcome.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Fishing Mid-March for springbreak

Post by Prof. Salt »

If you get lucky and catch a weather window, there will be fish around. Sharks, snapper, cobia and jacks should be in the area, and maybe even a few Spanish. The trick is finding weather that will allow you to run offshore. Lots of people have informed me that wearing waders offshore is a super-dangerous thing, but I find that if I wear a wade belt snug around my waist that not much water can get into my waders even if I go in the water. I tried it a few times to see what would happen (in a pool) and even after floating and swimming for several minutes I was able to climb back into the yak and between the belt and pfd limiting water entry, I had almost zero water in my waders. If the water is not too cool you can get away with a rainsuit instead of waders.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Kalait wrote:We are starting to plan a trip to the Rockport area during spring break. I should have most if not all of my offshore equipment by then, any suggestions for fishing would be welcome.
I am also starting to plan for Spring Break, March 14 through 21. Possibly staying at Goose Island State Park. Praying for GREAT WEATHER.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Prof I agree wearing waders will not make you sink. Even if waders fill up with water, water in water is neutral. Most of the time it's either the panic or the water temperature (or both) that causes those wearing waders to sink. Wearing a belt can certainly help in keeping a lot of water from getting down in the legs but it also helps trap air which provides buoyancy. 5 recommend wearing a knife on your PDF at all times but especially when wearing waders in case you can't get back in your kayak with water filled waders on.

I've never been offshore in March but I have wade fishing in the bay a lot in March. The water is almost always chilly. Waders or wade pants will make your day much more enjoyable. Wade pants are great but pricey.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

spring break is always one of the best times of year to fish inshore

Better than waders are dry pants, which fit more like regular clothes and are very comfortable sitting in a kayak.
Kokatat Tempest dry pants have thin built-in socks that fit well in your normal flats wading or paddling shoes.
Looks like they're currently running a 20% sale on both the goretex and Hydrus versions. I wore mine as late as April, and they were still comfortable when the cold-front morning warmed to 75 and bright sun at 1pm.