Stealth rod holder in Scotty base

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Stealth rod holder in Scotty base

Post by Ron Mc »

With recent rigging projects, noticed I had a lot more Scotty bases in use than rod holders.
I have 3 types of Scotty rod holders - I'm totally happy with the Scotty fly rod holder, which also doubles as a locking spinning rod holder.
I have rocket launchers and Scotty bait/spin rod holders - I have 2 of each, total of 6 Scotty rod holders.
Also have 3 boats to rig, and may need them at the same time with as many as 3 different style rod holders on a boat.
The Scotty bait/spin holder will lock a round baitcast reel deep in the seat - rigging the strap beneath will lock a spinning rod by the reel foot.
But it won't secure a low-profile baitcast reel, so we have to use it basically as a rocket launcher with our low-profile baitcasters. And yes, when I use rocket launchers, add a rod leash.
Scotty doesn't have anything new that answers the locking low-profile bait reel problem. So I went searching on the internet for rod holder options that copy Scotty posts and plug into Scotty bases, visiting archives of several kayak forums across the country. Apparently Folbe rod holders have posts that fit into Scotty bases, but won't lock into the Scotty bases. The Folbe rod holders also cost twice that of any other rod holder. Scotty already has their copy of the Folbe Q/R rod holder, but only in an offshore size.

I ran across Stealth QR-1 (and QR-2 offshore size) that exactly copy Scotty posts and plug into Scotty bases.
I liked the design and ordered a pair of them, which arrived today.
You can buy the QR-1NB - no base - just the correct Scotty post.

Amazon sells retail from the maker and a pair will get you free shipping and add sales tax. But Amazon also doesn't state backorder, while they list 1- to 2-month delivery.
Cap'm Mack had them in stock - I called late evening, he fielded my call, and I got these in 2 days.
His price is slightly discounted, and with shipping on a pair, cost less (by sales tax) than the up-to-2-month Amazon wait.
http://www.captmacks.com/store/product/ ... hout-base/

First off, I like that they grip a low-profile baitcaster, hold the reel upright, grip them rock solid, and have a secondary lock that also fits your low-profile bait reel.
The rod holder uses a cam strap that closes around the rod handle, holds the rod securely, and lets go as soon as you lift.
They also have the secondary strap that locks the cam and prevents the cam strap from opening.
Tilted this one way up so you can see they'll hold a rod almost vertically. They'll also hold a rod pointing down, and also with a fish on the end...
If you have a long handle rod, no problem keeping the handle off the gunwhale
While Scotty and Ram are copying each other's bases - and it's nice they're starting to interchange - other folks are making better rod holders.
Stealth rod holders have a lifetime warranty.
https://www.stealthrodholders.com/

Also, Cap'm Mack's forte is reservoir stripers, and he's famous for an umbrella trolling rig that bears his name (Academy and Cabela's sell them). Can also use them trolling offshore pelagics.
http://www.captmacks.com/store/
I grew up trolling a Pico Texas Trailer - even got a 20" white bass that way - the umbrella rig is the same idea on steroids.
BowBuddy

Re: Stealth rod holder in Scotty base

Post by BowBuddy »

I like your kayak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks, guess you're talking about the T160.
Here are other two
Kestrel 140SOT - this one will exceed 5 kts and causes my buddy in Revo turbofin Mirage 16 to chase me - 39 lbs
Redfish 10
Will use the Redfish to launch from the dock for night fishing at Arroyo, because it's stable, nimble and still fairly quick for a 30"-wide boat.
Stable enough to sit sideways and get into sternwell gear - it needs that skeg in coast wind.
Also easy to single-hand and mothership at under 50 lbs
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Seeing the milk crate in Ron Mc's T160, I figured I'd post what I added to mine with about $2 worth of PVC pipe and zip ties. I used 1-1/4" PVC for the normal rods and 1-1/2" PVC for the trolling rods.

Sadly, when I tried to add a few more rod holders, it became clear that the ones in each corner were much more stout. So that limits it to 4 on each crate.

I can also make one of the pipes longer, add a flat cap and mini-ballhead on any one of the pipes to mount an action camera. From another thread... Or make one longer and add a light, and it's got a sturdy, cheap mount and a place to put the battery.

Just some ideas for a cheap addition.
Attachments
Kayak Camera Mount 2.jpg
Kayak Crates.jpg
Last edited by impulse on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Adding one thing about the Stealth rod holders - Hobie rails are such a booger to rig - Stealth makes a very versatile looking rail-clamp base.

Neumie has 3 or 4 side-by-side plastic pipe rod holders in his milk crate, and it works well for him, but for fishing, I kinda like the out of sight and out of mind angles I get with the track mounted holders. I keep them close enough I can pass a rod under them for a red's trips around the boat.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Ron Mc wrote:Adding one thing about the Stealth rod holders - Hobie rails are such a booger to rig - Stealth makes a very versatile looking rail-clamp base.

Neumie has 3 or 4 side-by-side plastic pipe rod holders in his milk crate, and it works well for him, but for fishing, I kinda like the out of sight and out of mind angles I get with the track mounted holders. I keep them close enough I can pass a rod under them for a red's trips around the boat.
I'm with you there. Having the rods vertical behind also me also forces me to throw side arm. Every once in a while, I get an unpleasant surprise when I forget and throw overhand.

My main point was adding flexibility with the PVC at a very low cost. I keep several crates, rigged differently for offshore, for night time, etc. At <$10 all-in for the crate, the PVC and the zip ties, it's not cost prohibitive. Sadly, they fit great into my T160, but not into my 12' Pescador. I'm still looking for smaller crates for the Pescador.

Here's one set up to hold my net, a rod,my light, my action camera, and the 12V battery system. The light is an old 12V stern light (with LED bulb), cut up and mounted on a 1" PVC pipe that nests beautifully into the 1-1/4" pipe zip tied into the crate. (1-1/4" PVC does not nest into 1-1/2" PVC, though). The battery is an Academy $21 SLA, glued with Clear Seal into a waterproof ammo can, with multiple 5mm x 2.1mm connectors through a gland drilled into the ammo can .

Edit: I really need to add a fuse to the battery, but it's on my to do list...
Attachments
Kayak Battery 2.jpg
Kayak Crate w Camera x light.jpg
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Impulse, I mounted 3 PVC rod holders on only the left side of my crate to free up the space behind my right side for casting since I cast right handed. It's much better than having both sides blocked. I also have the flushmount rod holder on the left side for an additional rod to round it up to 4 total behind me and my scotty rod holder in front for the rod I'm using at the time. I'll try to post pics later.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Here's some pics of my crate
ImageImageImage

This is an extension I added to my flushmount that holds a rod vertical while paddling or horizontal for times when I catch a fish and need to have both hands free to handle it or just when I need to retie a line, change lures or change bait.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

for a rear rodholder on the Redfish, I had a Scotty 429 gearhead extension that proved too long to use anywhere else, so bolted it into the milk crate using the Scotty thumbscrews - it's really solid, and I like the gearhead base. Had to drill one hole in the top of the milk crate, and come up with a few 5/16" stainless washers.
This has been really useful on several trips when I loaned the boat.
That's the Scotty fly rod holder, which locks either a fly rod or a spinning rod
but again, the Stealth QR-1NB rod holder locks right into the Scotty gearhead
I like to fish 8-1/2' and 9' ML rods sometimes (any time doubling your cast distance or cutting lure weight in half catches more fish), and found the shorter Scotty 254M "mini" extension more useful for those. The long rods also help keeping your sinking lures above the grass. That Scotty base is in slidetrax on T160.
This photo also shows how a round baitcast reel - the original Lew's BB-series, Abu, etc- seats deep and locks into the Scotty bait/spin rod holder -
- if you try doing this with a low-profile baitcaster, the rod sits at an acute angle in the holder, isn't stable, and won't lock.
ImageAlso on that trip, had a Scotty rocket launcher clamped into my blue milk crate for a 3rd rod option, using the Scotty thumbscrews and a short bungee, and that worked also.

I've been collecting Scotty pieces well into my 11th year, and it all started with Slidetrax on my T160.
Here's another use - Scotty bases + fender rings just happen to fit my stake-out pole.
The same base will rig a 2nd rocket launcher for BTB - the rocket launchers also have a gimbal foot to keep your gimbal-butt rods standing with the reels upright.
impulse

Post by impulse »

impulse wrote:....Sadly, they fit great into my T160, but not into my 12' Pescador. I'm still looking for smaller crates for the Pescador.
Just an update, I found that 13 x 13 x 11" crates do fit into my 12' Pescador. They're more expensive than the $3.77 (at Walmart) office supply crates that fit into the T160, but still keep the cost per crate w/ 4 PVC rod holders below $10 a set.

They're the same size as the Yak Gear crates sold at Academy, but my nearest Academy is 30 minutes away, so I took the lazy way out and got mine from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Buddeez-MC01016B ... B00I9VP9NU
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

of course, this is a thread about a really good alternative to scotty rod holders that fits in scotty bases.

container store is across the street from my office - they have both milk crates and great lure boxes

you might note the Scotty fly rod holder in the milk crate. There's a 3-pc fly rod in the bow hatch and the Scotty fly rod holder is there in case I want to rig and stash the fly rod on the out-of-the-way gunwhale mount I made up for it (this day it turned out the tide was too low in the good fly rod water)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Vacuum base rod holder

Post by Ron Mc »

another use for the 1/4-20 threads on track-mount T-bolt fittings
Came up with a way to mount a no-holes rod holder behind the seat on my composite Kestrel.
here showing a fly rod up front on the dashboard bar mount
This is not an inexpensive option, because the first part is $50 (makes it the same cost as a Folbe rod holder).
Seasucker 4-inch vacuum base - the device has a built in vacuum pump.
They use these on a lot of removable hanging hardware including dining tables and rod racks for power boats (yachts).
And they really found a market in car-top bicycle racks (a $400/ market if you look at Yakima et.al.), so they're made to stick.
1-1/2" 316 stud in the Seasucker 1/4-20 well
(could get by with 1-1/4", but 1" might cut it short - a little excess length isn't a problem, Scotty rod holders are hollow to make room for it )
Take the T-bolt out of a Scotty track-mount gearhead,
(or a Scotty track ball or Ram track ball) -
- thread it on the 1/4-20 stud and tighten
Add your favorite rod holder - this thing is stout -
- you can lift the boat by the rod holder and everything stays solid
will actually put a fly rod holder in this rear position, with the bait rod holder up front, because I'll be using the bait rod when paddling and drift-fishing, and the fly rod wade-fishing with the boat staked out.
I of course took the rod out, but I'm leaving the rod holder there to track the performance of the Seasucker vacuum base over the next few days.
The vacuum pump piston shows orange when the vacuum has relaxed - essentially the pump piston is also a spring vacuum gauge.

Edit - ok, I'm impressed - 40 hours (two overnights) and still holding initial vacuum. In theory, when the orange first appears n the pump piston, it still has 120 lbs. suction strength. Of course the point is not to ignore this for two days fishing.
Very simply, all you have to do is pump again to keep it sticking, but it's nice to know you can count on it for 8 hours fishing. And any rod with this willl get a rod leash, as well.
Clean is everything - the surface you put it on, the rubber suction pad (comes with a cover), the pump, and I'm going to store it in a bag to keep dust away. It can all be disassembled and cleaned, and the grease they provide for the internal o-rings is vacuum grease.
2nd edit - 54 hours to the first sign of orange vacuum leak warning
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Adding an update about Stealth rod holders customer support.
Since I first posted this 4 years ago, one of my EPDM rubber cams broke.
They show the replacement part OOS on their website, and I added my e-mail for restocking.
Cari at Stealth e-mailed me today, and they're sending me gratis, replacment rubber cams for all my rod holders.
Great customer support, and worth a mention.

This is the most versatile rod holder I've ever used - even holds my offset-grip Japanese bait rods.

They grip rods securely, rock solid (include a locking safety strap that prevents then from randomly opening).
So solid, I use them on a Scotty clamp base for a line winding station for spooling reels.