Materials and beginning of the month tying (photos added) and edited with correct text.

bones72

Materials and beginning of the month tying (photos added) and edited with correct text.

Post by bones72 »

Been tying a bit lately. Ordered and received my 1st of the month tying materials. Really have had great service from the places I have been using; Sightcast Fishing, Saltwaterflies.com, and Feathercraft. The only issues I have had is inconsistencies in some of the materials with a big time emphasis on the craftfur. I ordered a fair amount as I am still tying up a bunch of redfish crack style flies. Trying to get the colors I wanted I ordered from two different places. Just the run of the mill standard “extra select” stuff from Hareline Dubbin. Some of it has a ton of “underfur” while some does not. Three packages had one “rug” while two of the packages had two and a package of cream fur had three rugs. The olive and tan seem really silky and straight while the cream was slightly crinkly and coarse and boy was that stuff full of static; had to use two dryer sheets to get it to lay down.
Anyway tied up some crack flies, experimenting a little with a predominately shell pink variety using a variety of brushes between the Sightcast shrimp pink and an E.P. 2” foxy brush in Shrimp pink. Also did a few seaducer type flies as well as Vlaho’s sandflea. I need to get some Gamakatsu B10s in #2 as there is a shrimp pattern I’d like to try. I’ll post some pictures a little later.
This is what I meant to say . Not sure how the other stuff got on here that was from a much earlier post.
Last edited by bones72 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
bones72

Re: Materials and beginning of the month tying

Post by bones72 »

Add description
Add description
Add description
Add description
Add description
Add description
Variations on the Redfish Crack fly.
bones72

Re: Materials and beginning of the month tying

Post by bones72 »

Add description
Add description
I figured this would be a good skinny water fly.
Add description
Add description

How about some sand fleas/mole crabs. These are #4, perhaps a good whiting fly or sheep's head fly
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Materials and beginning of the month tying (photos added)

Post by karstopo »

Those mole crabs look great! So do the rest.
JW FunGuy

Re: Materials and beginning of the month tying (photos added)

Post by JW FunGuy »

You have some great looking flies there! I can’t wait to hear how you did.
bones72

Re: Materials and beginning of the month tying (photos added) and edited with correct text.

Post by bones72 »

Thanks fellas. Mole crabs are fairly easy. McFly foam, dumbbell eyes, a little tan spanaflex, gold lite bright and a pair of loco legs for the tail, chenille for the legs. I used some antron dubbing I had for the marbled effect
Have some of the stuff to do different colors but forgot some key ingredients like different color chenille and I need more thread. Hadn't realized how my spools were being depleted. Tried the shrimp variant of the sand flea late last night really need to get some B10s hooks. The longer shank, hence tying room would help. Would love to do them in about the same color as I have the sand fleas in as I think that matches some of the shrimp down on the coast pretty well. I'll post that one up later.
bones72

Re: Materials and beginning of the month tying (photos added) and edited with correct text.

Post by bones72 »

McFly foam shrimp
Add description
Add description