Tips on a new kayak

backwaterscruise120

Tips on a new kayak

Post by backwaterscruise120 »

Hey guys, I am looking for a kayak that I can take sight fishing in shallow waters. I'm asking for some help because I'm looking for a kayak with minimal hull slap so I don't scare the fish off. I also want to be able to stand and sight cast in it. Speed would be a plus but I understand that the width necessary for stability is going to hinder that. Do you guys have any recommendations?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Tips on a new kayak

Post by Neumie »

What's your build? (height & weight)
Budget?
How are you going to transport/store it? (longer kayaks need more consideration)
backwaterscruise120

5'5 150.
I would prefer to keep it under 1500. I could save up for longer if necessary though.
I would store it in the back yard with a cover over it for sun protection. I have a silverado with a fairly long bed that I use to transport an 11 or 12 foot board and one other kayak at the moment. (I could always get a hitch bed extender if needed)

I currently have a kayak kahuna fishing sup. I like it it just has some pretty annoying hull slap if there is any wind and I wouldn't mind it paddling a little faster. I'm happy with it but it is pretty beat up and I will probably need something new soon.
Thanks for the reply!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I haven't paddled all of these so I can't fully attest to whether or not there would be hull slap. Even then I have 50 lbs on you and the kayaks would sit lower in the water for me than you. But here's where I'd start.

If you want to stick with a SUP take a look at the Diablo Paddlesports Amigo.

For kayaks I'd start my research with these:
Crescent LiteTackle
Native Watercraft Manta Ray Angler 12 XT
Old Town Topwater 12
Perception Pescador 12
Perception Pescador Pro 12

I would also check out more traditional coast yaks which I can stand and fish in, but most would not consider a stand and fish kayak.
Feel Free Moken 14
Viking Profish Reload
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Not sure if the Perception Pescador Pilot hull (which is the pedal drive version) is the same hull as the paddle Perception Pescador 12 but I know the Pilot does have some hull slap. The older model Hobie Outbacks do too for that matter.

Standing in a kayak with your frame will be a lot easier than most folks. It may take some practice but you should be able to stand in a lot of kayaks as Neumie said are not known for standing in.

I've always loved the Viking Profish Reloads and would have one if I didn't have a bad shoulder. Finding one can be tough tho. The Wilderness Systems Ride 135 is a solid fishing platform with a comfy seat. I've never paddled one but Vibe Seaghost 130 is a popular choice (not sure on the hull slap).

If you are willing to look at used kayaks the used kayak market is definitely a buyer's market right now. There are some amazing used deals to be found on all of these kayaks mentioned.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Looking for a new to us pedal kayak for my wife, hoping she can pedal after she paddles out to 2-3 foot in depth. Any suggestions.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Kalait wrote:Looking for a new to us pedal kayak for my wife, hoping she can pedal after she paddles out to 2-3 foot in depth. Any suggestions.
What's your budget?
backwaterscruise120

Thanks neumie and SWfinatic. I’ll start looking into all of these. I didn’t think about standing up in the kayaks you mentioned but that’s a great point. I’ve grown up surfing so that might help a little with balance. I’ll definitely check the used market. I’ll probably just have to try them out first when it comes to the hull slap.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

here's neumie standing in a narrow (and very fast) boat in a beating wind (18 kt)

I can tell you for sure it's a fast boat - I chased him 13 mi over two windy mornings in my T160.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Neumie wrote:
Kalait wrote:Looking for a new to us pedal kayak for my wife, hoping she can pedal after she paddles out to 2-3 foot in depth. Any suggestions.
What's your budget?
I would like to buy used less than $600 if possible.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Kalait wrote:I would like to buy used less than $600 if possible.
hmmm, $600 even for a used pedal kayak is going to be pretty rare. For $800+tax you could get a Kayak Instruct Wrangler 10. Kayak Instruct is based in Rowlett (Dallas) and he only advertises on Dallas Craiglist and his Facebook page. Dave is a stand up guy. He imports a high number from China and then is able to keep his costs lower than others.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Kalait if possible I would hold off until you're able to increase the budget a little. Anything you find in the $600 range likely is going to need repairs. I believe the KI kayaks are solid kayaks. They're built where Vibe kayaks are. I don't know about the pedal drive though.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Neumie wrote:
Kalait wrote:I would like to buy used less than $600 if possible.
hmmm, $600 even for a used pedal kayak is going to be pretty rare. For $800+tax you could get a Kayak Instruct Wrangler 10. Kayak Instruct is based in Rowlett (Dallas) and he only advertises on Dallas Craiglist and his Facebook page. Dave is a stand-up guy. He imports a high number from China and then is able to keep his costs lower than others.
Thanks for your input, I will continue shopping and saving 8)
backwaterscruise120

What type of kayak is that in the picture?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

answering out of turn for Josh, it's his Perception Search 15, which I believe is about a dozen years old.
It's a fast boat and he puts it to good use.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

backwaterscruise120 wrote:What type of kayak is that in the picture?
Here's one for sale
https://houston.craigslist.org/spo/d/sp ... 11424.html
backwaterscruise120

Alright, I’ll check into this one too. Thanks for the link. I would definitely check it out but I live in northeast Florida. I’ll check around craigslist. Is that the best way to find used kayaks?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Craigslist can be a good source. Your local fishing forums may have them too. I hear Facebook can be a good source. You just have to make sure it's in good shape, doesn't have any leaks and it's not stolen. If the seller is the original owner hopefully they have the MSO (manufacturers state of origin). It's the kayaks title.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

backwaterscruise120 wrote:Alright, I’ll check into this one too. Thanks for the link. I would definitely check it out but I live in northeast Florida. I’ll check around craigslist. Is that the best way to find used kayaks?
craigslist and if you can find a local kayak fishing bulletin board or FB group, probably even better
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:answering out of turn for Josh, it's his Perception Search 15, which I believe is about a dozen years old.
It's a fast boat and he puts it to good use.
Yup it's a 2007 Perception Search 15; 15' 0" in length and 29" in width (symmetrical hull where the widest portion is in between the seat pan and rear tankwell). IMO, my kayak is actually faster paddling backwards than forward. I've also noticed with my rudder deployed I lose 1/4 to 1/3 miles per hour due to it's drag. That doesn't sound like much, but it makes a difference out on the water in windy and choppy conditions.

When I started back in 2003 I weighed a buck 65 and taught myself how to stand in kayaks. So even now at 200 I can comfortably stand and fish from probably every stand up kayak on the market (less maybe Stealth Kayaks).

If you surfed and have decent sense of balance you should be good looking at more efficient kayak for coastal fishing. My Search is has almost no hull slap. More efficient hulls will be the quietest ones on the water. So, take a few for a spin and see what suits your needs.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great find on the catalog page- that's a really sweet boat
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Is the Search based of a Tarpon hull?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Any idea if Wilderness Systems is bringing back a new and improved Commander? The Jackson Kilroy seems somewhat similar to the Commander, but I haven’t tried one on the water.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:Is the Search based of a Tarpon hull?
No. The Search stays narrower through the front half of the kayak compared to the Tarpon. The narrower front of the Search is more apparent when you flip the kayaks over and compare the hulls. Also the widest portion of the Search is behind the seat, where the Tarpon carries it's width through more the middle into the seat pan. The Tarpon has hard chines whereas the Search has rounded chines as well.

At the time when time in 2007 Wilderness and Perception had just finished their merger (end of 2005). The Perception Search and Wilderness Systems Ride 135 were the first fishing kayaks designed after the merger. These two kayaks have very similar deck lay outs. The hull of the Ride 135 is it's well known "pontoon" shape. Whereas the Search is a more traditional design.
karstopo wrote:Any idea if Wilderness Systems is bringing back a new and improved Commander? The Jackson Kilroy seems somewhat similar to the Commander, but I haven’t tried one on the water.
I have not seen anything from the trade shows.
backwaterscruise120

Do you guys have any thoughts on the perception prism 14?