anchor rope

txbirdman01

anchor rope

Post by txbirdman01 »

wanted to know what type of rope yall use. How long should it be, for either salt or freshwater? what should the weight capacity be for the rope? Or what kind of rope shoudlnt it be. thanks

mike.
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

I use 4mm rope for ALL kayak rigging.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

I use an old cast net rope or an old ski rope. Then a bungee cord with a piece of pool noodle and a caribiner at the end. The bungee softens the jolt when its windy and helps keeps the anchor from losing its grip.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

FOnC...

Any pics of your set up?
Interesting!
txbirdman01

Post by txbirdman01 »

ok, so the bungee attaches to one end of the rope, and then the other end attaches to the anchor? what length or rope should i use. What length is commonly used. Also, i bought a twisted poly-pro multi purpose rope. It says medium load, up to 106lb limit. will that do?
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

zamarripa.piii wrote:FOnC...

Any pics of your set up?
Interesting!
Here are some instructions and pics for you guys. I hope I don't bore you. :) The rope I use is 14 feet long. Sometimes its way too long, sometimes its not long enough. The order of the pics might be backwards. sorry still learning :lol:
Attachments
Feed the bungee cord through the noodle. I used a stick to help feed it through. Then I twisted the hook from the bungee in the form of a split ring. Attach caribiner. Do the same to the hook on the other side and attach the rope.
Feed the bungee cord through the noodle. I used a stick to help feed it through. Then I twisted the hook from the bungee in the form of a split ring. Attach caribiner. Do the same to the hook on the other side and attach the rope.
Tie a knot big enough so the noodle won't slide down the rope. I used to run the rope and the bungee cord through the noodle for security but my other one lasted about 9 years and the bungee still hasn't busted So now I do it the new way. I'm lazy!
Tie a knot big enough so the noodle won't slide down the rope. I used to run the rope and the bungee cord through the noodle for security but my other one lasted about 9 years and the bungee still hasn't busted So now I do it the new way. I'm lazy!
I like the loop that goes around your wrist on the cast net rope. It makes it easy to attach the anchor. This way I don't have to tie a big knot at the end by the anchor. I'm not much for learning new knots and splicing techniques. It was also the only ro
I like the loop that goes around your wrist on the cast net rope. It makes it easy to attach the anchor. This way I don't have to tie a big knot at the end by the anchor. I'm not much for learning new knots and splicing techniques. It was also the only ro
Last edited by F.O.C. on Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

fishing on credit wrote:
zamarripa.piii wrote:FOnC...

Any pics of your set up?
Interesting!
Here are some instructions and pics for guys. I hope I don't bore you. :) The rope I use is 14 feet long. Sometimes its way too long, sometimes its not long enough. The order of the pics might be backwards. sorry still learning :lol:
Attachments
here's what it looks like wrapped up.
here's what it looks like wrapped up.
This is my old one after my teething pup heeler found it!
This is my old one after my teething pup heeler found it!
sandersvip

Post by sandersvip »

A nylon rope works great, doesn't need to be no larger than 3/8 in. Length depends on the area you fish, it is better to have to much and shorten it if you need to than to not have enough to reach bottom, been there before. I also hook my rope on with a "D" ring and have a float off a fish stringer slide onto the rope so I can unhook the "D" ring and toss the anchor rope overboard if I have a big fish. I have lost big fish when they get wrapped around the rope. The float lets you go for a ride, take care of the fish and then return to your float and secure your anchor line.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

sandersvip wrote:A nylon rope works great, doesn't need to be no larger than 3/8 in. Length depends on the area you fish, it is better to have to much and shorten it if you need to than to not have enough to reach bottom, been there before. I also hook my rope on with a "D" ring and have a float off a fish stringer slide onto the rope so I can unhook the "D" ring and toss the anchor rope overboard if I have a big fish. I have lost big fish when they get wrapped around the rope. The float lets you go for a ride, take care of the fish and then return to your float and secure your anchor line.
I do the same thing when I hook up with a big gar. works great! 8)
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Thanx for the info and pics!

Z-Man
txbirdman01

Post by txbirdman01 »

Thanks for all the comments. The pics reallly help me. Thanks. and keep them coming. It seems that everyone has a really cool and different way to rig thier yak. I was wondering, with the anchor down, woudln't it give you some extra leverage for catching a big fish. (keep in mind that i have yet to catch a big fish on a yak, and that I've never fished at the coast from a yak.)

mike.
F.O.C.
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by F.O.C. »

txbirdman01 wrote:Thanks for all the comments. The pics reallly help me. Thanks. and keep them coming. It seems that everyone has a really cool and different way to rig thier yak. I was wondering, with the anchor down, woudln't it give you some extra leverage for catching a big fish. (keep in mind that i have yet to catch a big fish on a yak, and that I've never fished at the coast from a yak.)

mike.
I'm sure mine would help. We used to tie bicycle tubes when I was a kid to the bridge rail and when a gar or big cat would hit it stretched the tube and fought it till it got tired. I would rather go for a texas sleigh ride though! 8)
sandersvip

Post by sandersvip »

In the surf I wouldn't put an anchor down. My wife has almost been pulled under by big fish that get underneath and make a run, drag setting is very important. She has also been spooled and pulled up and down the beach in big circles from one cut to the next. I think one the last things you want to happen 200 yards off the beach is for a 4 foot blacktip or 60 pound stingray to get rapped around your anchor rope, even if you cut your line the fish may still be tangled with your rope.
ryderredfish

Post by ryderredfish »

For a newnie these are great ideas for rigging, just wanted to say thanks.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Check Captain Jack's article.

Post by JimD »

Check Captain Jack's article. He has been doing this longer than anyone else. In articles above.
Kalait

Re: Anchor line

Post by Kalait »

sandersvip wrote:In the surf I wouldn't put an anchor down. My wife has almost been pulled under by big fish that get underneath and make a run, drag setting is very important. She has also been spooled and pulled up and down the beach in big circles from one cut to the next. I think one the last things you want to happen 200 yards off the beach is for a 4-foot blacktip or 60-pound stingray to get wrapped around your anchor rope, even if you cut your line the fish may still be tangled with your rope.
For this reason, I am considering deploying a drift net when BYB, debating the size I will be using for my Ocean Prowler 13. Thinking of no more than 25-feet of anchor line though.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: anchor rope

Post by Ron Mc »

there's no reason to have a drift sock 25' from your boat.
Most of us run them 4' to 6' behind our boat.
Here's a much more recent discussion of how to incorporate a drift sock with a trolley:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 6#p2286526

The short length working line combined with longer deployment line and trolley lets you get them out of the way in a hurry -
- even a slot redfish on the flats will go around the boat twice, so getting the drift sock into your lap before you get the redfish to the boat is a priority.

btw, a drift sock trolleyed to your stern is the best way to ride out a gale - this wall cloud squall had gusts hitting 35 kts
you can see it ripping water off the surface
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Ron Mc wrote:there's no reason to have a drift sock 25' from your boat.
Most of us run them 4' to 6' behind our boat.
Here's a much more recent discussion of how to incorporate a drift sock with a trolley:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 6#p2286526

The short length working line combined with deployment line and trolley lets you get them out of the way in a hurry -
- even a slot redfish on the flats will go around the boat twice, so getting the drift sock into your lap before you get the redfish to the boat is a priority.

btw, a drift sock trolleyed to your stern is the best way to ride out a gale - this wall cloud squall had gusts hitting 35 knots
Thanks, that verifies my thoughts, I too will be staying within 6-feet of my yak.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

way cool, bro

You can also use your drift sock for sleigh-ride brakes on a big fish, just have to get it in before you get the fish to the boat.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Getting a 30-inch drift sock from Bass Pro Shop, putting a 10-foot rope on it but having it out only 7 feet max. To prevent sock spin what size floats and weights should I use. The plan put 2 1 oz weights on the bottom webbing to the sock with floats on the top webbing to the sock. The Drift sock will be attached to my anchor trolly, with a back rope tied to the kayak mid-handle.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Kalait wrote:Getting a 30-inch drift sock from Bass Pro Shop, putting a 10-foot rope on it but having it out only 7 feet max. To prevent sock spin what size floats and weights should I use. The plan put 2 1 oz weights on the bottom webbing to the sock with floats on the top webbing to the sock. The Drift sock will be attached to my anchor trolly, with a back rope tied to the kayak mid-handle.
you really don't need a lot of either - I definitely wouldn't use two ounces of weight - maybe 1/2- or 3/4 oz.
Then you need enough float to support that weight. All you're really trying to accomplish is a keel - I'm using a small cigar float on one side, with no added weight, but I also tend to fish skinny water, where weight might be a problem.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Thanks, Ron, I will give the cigar float first then add the weight.