2019 Texas Paddle-craft Incidents

Neumie
Site Admin

2019 Texas Paddle-craft Incidents

Post by Neumie »

Since the Memorial Day incident I decided to research other incidents in which a death or rescue occurred in Texas when someone was paddling a watercraft. I compiled everything into a google doc to keep track. If you are aware of any other incidents to add to the list please let me know.

Google Doc link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: 2019 Texas Paddle-craft Incidents

Post by karstopo »

Interesting, thanks for the compilation.

The whole idea of being rescued or needing to be rescued is so mortifying to me as to keep me on my “be prepared” toes. “Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall“ Proverbs 16:18, certainly rings true, however, I’d just soon not be in that unenviable position of needing a rescue.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Great work Neumie. Thank you for making that.

On the Lake Pflugerville case it's still early and I don't know the details other than she was swept into deep water by the high winds from a storm. There could've been other factors for sure. I don't live too far from that lake and it was no secret there was a storm coming that evening. The lighting show that came with the approaching storm could be seen for at least 30 minutes before the storm hit. The lake is small and there is no point on that lake where a kayaker can't reach a shoreline within 30 minutes unless there were other factors. There were winds with that storm recorded just a few miles away from that lake at 82 mph which is tornado strength. But it's all about education.

Hopefully creating this spreadsheet will help open up our minds to being safer and using better judgement.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote:Great work Neumie. Thank you for making that.

On the Lake Pflugerville case it's still early and I don't know the details other than she was swept into deep water by the high winds from a storm. There could've been other factors for sure. I don't live too far from that lake and it was no secret there was a storm coming that evening. The lighting show that came with the approaching storm could be seen for at least 30 minutes before the storm hit. The lake is small and there is no point on that lake where a kayaker can't reach a shoreline within 30 minutes unless there were other factors. There were winds with that storm recorded just a few miles away from that lake at 82 mph which is tornado strength. But it's all about education.

Hopefully creating this spreadsheet will help open up our minds to being safer and using better judgement.
I am constricted with the what weather data I can find from a historical aspect; Wunderground being the easiest. I'm not sure if there's a way to find what the forecast was for the day to compare it to the recorded data. I've had fronts blow through 5 hours earlier than forecast even though I would always check the morning of before heading out.

The only thing I find peculiar regarding the Pflugerville incident is that the kayak hasn't been found. It's not a very large lake (about 150 ish acres) and even if a kayak filled completely with water they still float even without added flotation.

I'm going to keep updating the list throughout the year and may add previous years as well over time. I find it interesting.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

very thorough job - the high percentage of No PFD on deep water is telling about the small amount of forethought that often went into the days' planning.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Nice job! And very interesting.
I was watching that “Texas Law” program and one of the State Police/Game Warden guys said that in 10 years (I think it was 10 but might have been 20 ) and all the water rescues only 3 of the bodies recovered were wearing PFD’s. I wonder what the actual numbers are?
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

probably no tethers either. if most could get back to the yak (by using tether) it would let them hang on for a rescue, but the wind blown yak is out of reach without a tether. Was there any data / information about use of tethers?
jiggy-z

Post by jiggy-z »

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

TroutSupport.com wrote:probably no tethers either. if most could get back to the yak (by using tether) it would let them hang on for a rescue, but the wind blown yak is out of reach without a tether. Was there any data / information about use of tethers?
Only one I read who had a tether to their kayak was a couple years ago. An incident on the Guadalupe River by the Gruene Crossing. Two kayakers were approaching the crossing when one fell off and got tangled in a strainer due to the tether. Second kayaker just watched idly by and did nothing. Luckily a group of experienced white water and trained swift water rescuers had just gotten off the river and were able to save him. After they saved the guy caught in the strainer the other guy, who did nothing, just casually mentioned "just another typical river trip for us", and they continued on their trip down river despite protests. Can't fix stupid.

I get being tethered to the kayak could be beneficial in case of rescue, as surfers and wind surfers are tethered. They can also cause more problems, especially if the angler doesn't have a knife to free themselves in case of entanglement.

It's hard enough to find a source to determine whether or not a PFD was worn, even less likely to know if a tether was worn as well.
jiggy-z wrote:Had one up Austin way.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin ... vere-storm
It's on my list, though I haven't marked the outcome until the body has officially be recovered or the search was called off.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Neumie wrote:
SWFinatic wrote:Great work Neumie. Thank you for making that.

I am constricted with the what weather data I can find from a historical aspect; Wunderground being the easiest. I'm not sure if there's a way to find what the forecast was for the day to compare it to the recorded data. I've had fronts blow through 5 hours earlier than forecast even though I would always check the morning of before heading out.

The only thing I find peculiar regarding the Pflugerville incident is that the kayak hasn't been found. It's not a very large lake (about 150 ish acres) and even if a kayak filled completely with water they still float even without added flotation.

I'm going to keep updating the list throughout the year and may add previous years as well over time. I find it interesting.
There might be a way to look up data on NWS website but I can't find it. I mentioned the wind speed as I saw that info on the Austin news unrelated to the story.

Not finding the kayak is strange no doubt. They do rent kayaks at the lake. Not sure if they have sit in's or on tops.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote:There might be a way to look up data on NWS website but I can't find it. I mentioned the wind speed as I saw that info on the Austin news unrelated to the story.

Not finding the kayak is strange no doubt. They do rent kayaks at the lake. Not sure if they have sit in's or on tops.
I tried using NWS. You have to submit a digital form and then it emails you a pdf. I couldn't understand it or I didn't see what I was looking for. I know some reports have listed higher winds, but for consistency across all the incidents I'm going to use Wunderground Historical data. It'll give me highs/lows along with wind speeds and directions.

If the incident happened on the coast I'll use the nearest NOAA gauge for wind speed, air & water temp. USGS river gauges for stream flow data if the incident happened on the river. TPWD's weekly fishing reports will list a small range for lake water temps for incidents on larger lakes.

It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job relating what the weather was like for each day.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I did hear on the news that the kayak the lady was in on Lake Pflugerville was an "inflatable kayak". That explains why it hasn't been recovered.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote:I did hear on the news that the kayak the lady was in on Lake Pflugerville was an "inflatable kayak". That explains why it hasn't been recovered.
Makes sense to not be able to find an inflatable.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Neumie wrote: I get being tethered to the kayak could be beneficial in case of rescue, as surfers and wind surfers are tethered. They can also cause more problems, especially if the angler doesn't have a knife to free themselves in case of entanglement
I don’t think being tethered to your kayak is ever a good idea, especially in moving water. But for what we do I think you should have a bow line attached and coiled ready to grab if you find yourself swimming so your boat doesn’t get away from you. And/or someone can grab it to help get you and your boat to safety
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

a paddle leash should help you not separate from your boat, not in rivers, but in lake or bay
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Is there a safe way to tether to your yak while doing white water or rivers? I so keep a safety rope to throw to someone for assistance, this rope floats. :?:
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Kalait wrote:Is there a safe way to tether to your yak while doing white water or rivers? I so keep a safety rope to throw to someone for assistance, this rope floats. :?:
I would never tether myself to my kayak in a river. A throw bag is your best bet.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Never do it! If your rope gets hung up on something you can turn into a human crankbait!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

there's also the threat of getting pinned between your boat and a rock. If there's a downward eddy on the rock, there's no way you can keep your head above water.
River power can forge an aluminum canoe around a rock like a Sherman bow-tie. A plastic kayak is not notably stiffer, and can do the same thing.

In big blows at the coast or lakes, people too often get separated from their boat with tragic consequences.
A paddle leash and hanging onto the paddle prevents it.

With a gale-force wind, your boat instantly windcocks beyond your control, and reaching waves instantly turtle you.
The way to avoid the windcock is ride out a gale with drift sock trolleyed to stern, here a short wall-cloud squall, with gusts hitting 35-kt. Two of us enjoyed riding it out.
The water depth here is only a few feet, which is lucky, because another buddy had just lifted his drift sock and turtled.
TX All Water Fishing

Post by TX All Water Fishing »

Neumie wrote:Since the Memorial Day incident I decided to research other incidents in which a death or rescue occurred in Texas when someone was paddling a watercraft. I compiled everything into a google doc to keep track. If you are aware of any other incidents to add to the list please let me know.

Google Doc link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Thanks for the info, do you mind if I share your report?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

TX All Water Fishing wrote:
Neumie wrote:Thanks for the info, do you mind if I share your report?
You may.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

thanks for the post
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Bump.

At the conclusion of 2019 I was able to document 38 incidents in which there were 9 deaths and 51 rescues. Obviously, this is not complete data as Texas is a large state and I was somewhat limited to incidents where professional rescuers were dispatched and reported news. There are a couple of incidents where I did not include a death or rescue in the final count, but the incident is listed.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Complete or not, sends a chilling fact for kayakers.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Tombo wrote:Complete or not, sends a chilling fact for kayakers.
I guess the question is how do these numbers compare to years past? I don't know, I guess I could go back and research previous years. The numbers for power boaters were as high as well in both categories (death and rescues). I also came across quite a few pool drownings which mostly involved children, sadly.